LED strip lighting questions

Yall cut it out! Yall are feeding my LED addiction. A dog collar!!! Now the wife is really gonna kill me! She already complains I have lights on everything. The dog! LOLOLOLOL Its on, I will have that done by Monday. Gonna use a left over Chinese strip and wire it to a old collar. LOL This is gonna be a whoot!

It’s 6am Friday, and I am off to the garage. If she kills me, or puts me in the dog house, alpg88 its on you! :bigsmile:

Care for that rougaru, if i even spelled it right :smiley:

put something rigid and flexible under the strip, i use long wide zip tie, and make many stitches, close together, otherwise strip will brake copper traces and clusters of leds will be dead. i had to make 5 trys with different materials and techniques to get them to stay all lit for longer than 1 evening. strip is flexible but if flexed wrong will buckle and brake. use dental floss as string, it is strong stuff.
the one on the pic, is iirc second i build, on that one i’ve learned how not to saw a strip on harmess, lol

I want to install approximately 20 meters of RGB LED strips in my living room, kitchen and bathroom and control all of them with some sort of wall-mounted, Arduino-based control panel (a few buttons like “Normal light” which switches on all strips, a “Movie” button that only switches on one strip and dims it, a “Chillout” button which switches on all strips to different, relaxing colors, and so on.

But I am absolutely clueless how to do that. I’ve ordered the LED strips already (my wallet still cries), a total of 20 meters which I intend to break down into 6 seperate strips so the Arduino will somehow need to be able to control all of them seperately.

How do I do this? I know that the strips run on 12V, and that’s pretty much it.

Can you link to the strips you got?

So they run on 12v, that means they already have a driver built in, what you’ll need is some sort of 12v controller (maybe the basic unit can supply 12v out to switch relays but not sure, if not you would need to get some sort of add-on controller that would provide a 12v output then depending on how heavy duty that thing was you could either run the strips from that directly or again use that output as a signal for 12v relays) and a 120vac to 12vdc converter power supply that puts out more than enough amps to power the 12v controller plus the LED strips. Once you tell us the spec’s or link us to the exact led panel we can give you a little more info but I know almost nothing about Arduino so I have no idea what to get or even where to look for a 12v controller for it.

The thing is unless the led strips already allow for a dimmer it’s going to take some pretty extensive equipment and rewiring of them to do that, but just switching them and changing color (as long as each color has its own 12vin) shouldn’t be to bad.

you have some reading ahead of you, but if you websearch there will be plenty of guides and arduino frameworks out there

there is no driver in built into the strips, each R, G and B segment is grouped in 3s emitter configurations with inline resistors to match the ‘12V’ spec. most arduino builds will use some sort of 12Vd transitor based set-up PWM switched by the arduino.

note that you will also need to connect the power in parallel every 3m or so to avoid drop along the strips

> A dog collar!!!

A while ago we adopted an Akita — those dogs always carry their tail curled up over their backs
And she loved to run, so we often took her on a short lead on the bicycle in the evenings.

And of course, with a little Velcro, equipped her with a bright red tail light.

Drivers would pull up next to us, lean out the window laughing and pointing and gasping
” … tail light! …”

Hey, visibility counts for something, but being actually noticed was really gratifying.

I’ve just started to get into led strips as I’m decorating my car……the kit u posted I have seen and an planing to order but want to know if it is possible to connect to the car battery somehow…… as it has a power pack b 4 the control box how would this b possible as it is mainly for wall sockets…… would I remove the power.pack and attach the cable that goes in to the control box directly to the battery with a fuse added to.the wire……. would I keep the power pack and cut the plug off the power lead and.attack that to the battery or is there a connector I would have to buy seperate. ……., I know it is possible to do.as.I have seen vehicles with the light kit fitted …………n e help on this would b a.great help here’s the link to the kit http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/131324327224?nav=SEARCH

Any video tutorial from your project? It’s very interesting, I would like to make for my dog… I live in Melbourne, Australia and I can’t find a local shop so I am planning to order from Melecs online shop. Could you suggest me which led light strip should i order for this project?

Kind Regards,
Retha