LED test / review - LMP W5050SQ3 (3000 K, 70 CRI) - warm white round-die LED with high luminance

Thanks for the datasheet. (At least it is true that no datasheet is around for this warm white version)
Do you have an official source that this 3000 K version is custom-built for Convoy?

I’m pretty sure Simon mentioned it in his thread at some point, I’d need to look.

Also, here is the manufacturer website

I’d be interested in seeing how the 6500k version compares, at some point in the near future I’ll donate some for destructive testing

1 Thank

Excellent review, thank you!

Might you be able to add a chart comparing it to other low-CRI emitters like W1, glass Yinding 5050 6500K, SFT40 5000K?

1 Thank

W2 might be a better comparison, instead of W1.

It would definitely be a useful chart, maybe one with luminance instead of flux as the Y axis too.

1 Thank

Yes I can do this, in the next days.

For other charts I had to create a template first, which takes some time. I planned to do luminance charts instead of plain text anyway. (Btw, for SFT-40 5000 K I don’t have a full LED test since it was destroyed while testing and I only had one piece :cry: )

2 Thanks

Found the first reference from Simon to this emitter.

But this is the SQ4, not SQ3 - higher max current and higher power rating.
No word of mention that this 3000 K one is custom-built…

I would have to keep looking, the BLF search engine is not on my side today. I’m pretty confident it was publicly mentioned that the 3000k W5050 and the LML2 were customized, might have been implied though.

You are right, though it is still the first post from Simon about these round-die emitters, and I can’t seem to find mention of the SQ4 on the manufacturer’s website, might’ve been a mistake.

I thought so too, but the naming of the specs for the SQ4 seems to me to have been intentional (maybe the plan was to customize the SQ4, but LMP didn’t want that, I don’t know).

A great review, as usual, many thanks!

It seems like we are getting closer to these style LEDs being available in 4000K … Ive been waiting for something to replace my XPL Hi emitters with for a while!

1 Thank

That’s what I thought until I realized there is no mention of the SQ4 on the manufacturer’s website (chinese or english versions) at the moment. It might’ve been scrubbed between then and now.

Here is the archived version, there is also no mention of a 3000k version of the emitter, despite Simon’s photo showing the characteristic orange phosphor.

I also just found it on the LMP store on some marketplace website

Also here is Simon’s test results of the 3000k variant

1 Thank

I’m hopeful for a 4000k version, but even then mixing 6500k and 3000k makes for a nice tint in multiemitter lights like the D4Sv2 or an SP36 Pro.

1 Thank

Somehow I don’t see any significant difference between SQ3 and SQ4. The LED looks identical, the illuminated area is the same size and the Vf and thermal resistance are also identical as far as I can see.
I suspect that the SQ4 is possibly better binned or that LMP only guarantees a higher operating current for the SQ4 (perhaps for legal reasons).

2 Thanks

Overlooked it: I have some 6500 K ones. The tint is cool white without much green, but bad CRI (probably around 60-65).
I can test them as well but I did not write a test about this emitter, I will post the results here and make a link into the 3000 K SQ3 test.

3 Thanks

Would you expect the 6500k version to have about the same performance?

I think it has 10-20 percent higher performance.

Be careful tho. One W5050SQ3 6500 K was burned due to high current (not in a test, but only for testing current over 8 Amp)

1 Thank

I put one convoy w5050sq3 3000k in an S8 (on the dinky xml mcpcb the s8 came with). It cooked up some brown spots while sustaining 100% on the 3v5a buck driver. I wonder if I didn’t have it thermally conducting well.

The 6500k on the thicker board replaced it and its been fine. It looked like the 6500k is much brighter than the 3000k.

I would love to see the higher cct tested. If the cd/mm2 is this good at 3000k the higher cct may be pushing the white flat numbers.

3 Thanks

Hopefully in the next weeks. Since the first sample was destroyed while testing I have to reflow and test another one.

1 Thank

I just ordered several of these (and a 6500K to try). These seem very promising - much better performance than the FFL505A and much better efficiency than the SFT-40 3000K. I have recently started playing around with those other two LEDs so I’m really looking forward to these LMP ones. Thanks for the test!