Let's make a real BLF flashlight, calling up the brainstorm

Aspheric zoomie = tunnel vision, ugly light artifacts & zero IPS, but yea is kind off fun.

In & In & In

No, we want a BILF!

Um being an Aussie I think my wife would like that more than I

[quote=Agro]

A simplified version of it, with two lenses, so less light gets wasted.
In a single aspheric, when the lens is moved away from the LED, most of the light jusr heats the head from inside.

Why not just buy a Led Lenser?

[quote=flashburn]

Whether it’s a good idea, it depends on your goals.
Here is an old thread summarizing the options:

Don’t just look at the first post, look also at the discussion.

Basically you’re sacrificing flood beam shape for more efficient throw. So if you want a pure or almost pure thrower - OK. If you want a flooder or a versatile light, it’s not so good.

A better way to improve efficiency is to use a single stronger lens….but there are tradeoffs to that as well because a stronger lens means narrower flood. You can in turn widen the flood beam by putting the lens closer to the emitter (there are limits to that) or using more emitters.

BTW, heating the bezel doesn’t mean much. Light loss is significant inefficiency (though not worse than reflector lights which lose a lot of light to spill) but the heating effect that it causes is negligible because:
First, LEDs at high power tend to produce much more heat than light.
Second, a major part (often most) but nevertheless only a part of it hits the head.
Third, the zooming part of the head is in most cases largely separate thermally from the rest of the light, so by heating it up you hardly affect anything else.

I did once.
After figuring out that a $1 skywolfeye was better built and had a better lens…I decided not to try further.

Actually my Led Lenser was not the best model they made (though the best at the size that I cared about at the time). There are some that have much better lenses and better build quality. Still:

• their best lenses have great throw beam
  • their best lenses have great flood beam
  • their best lenses have bad intermediate beam
  • their best hosts are mediocre
  • their lights are hard to mod
  • the price is always very high for what they offer

So…overall I don’t view them as a quality option.

+1 flood PC Red channel

How about a BLF MOOL…. bear with me…. a 3 seperate part affair, mule, zoomie and a lamp! multi heads.

Well, not exactly, I didn’t so much mean a light with 3 connected heads, more 1 head at a time. So, a mule as standard then 2 heads which somehow slipped on. 1 head a lamp, 1 head a zoomie.
The lamp one, just a plastic affair to turn it into a standing lamp and the zoomie one basically a tube with the lenses in, maybe they could both slip on over o ringgs fitted in grooves on the body.
A bit of an ask, but well it’s just a bit of brainstorming.
It is theoretically possible, Manker did something in a similar vein a while ago, obviously wasn’t a zoomie and a lamp head, but you get the idea.

Maybe we can run a poll - everybody can describe his dream (but possible to build) light and then to make poll which light is the most desired.

I like the idea of interchangeable heads

:wink: Maybe the BLF ENGIN - meaning engine to drive multiple heads, I mean if it caught on, the manufacturer could produce just the ‘heads’ in various formats, throwers, multi led, coloured and so on - it’s even eco friendly as it requires you to buy 1 body with a driver in - the engin! plus it would keep the cost down as you could pick which heads you buy? more brainstorming lol, but this thread has certainly reignited my interest which has dulled for a while!

Why change all head when you can swap 0.5$ TIR lens only? :laughing:

Also can change a torch into L shape headlamp

Niwalker style, but BLF designed? I thing we’re onto something here :smiling_imp:

Yes, that is another option too! the more I think about it, the more sense it makes (to me at least) - I don’t need any more seperate lights on my desk, I have plenty of those already - it does appeal to me having 1 more body but the ability to fit different heads to it. It’s good for the planet (sort of), it’s good for the pocket (cost) and most importantly it’s different , a new idea/format for buying a light (modular so to speak) - something most of us won’t already have (and I’m sure we already have loads of standard lights which basically boil down to the same old thing)

The D4v2 is modular like that, the tube works with the D4v2 head, DT8, DW4 (angle), D1mini.
You can buy the head separately if you want but I believe the price difference vs full light is minimal hecause the head is most of the cost.
Also while the DW4 head makes it a right angle light, it’s kind of large and heavy for a headlamp.

Modular! Fantastic.
But the light should also be moddable.
Total prohibition of glue or Loctite!
Using standard MCPCB size, for easy swapping without the entry penalty for beginners burning their expensive emitters while trying to reflow solder on candles and similar ideas.
Standard lenses, optics. Gives room to experiment.
An Anduril2 (or 3 :stuck_out_tongue: ) boost driver that delivers enough power to drive future LEDs, but is jumper-configurable to not instantly burn the weaker LEDs on the wrong power setting, say 1A, 2A 4A jumpers, making 7A limit together., or even adding an 8A, so making 15A limit, not knowing if possible even with the newest chips, but 7A really will work on a standard size PCB, so one can swap drivers. The charger comes on a second PCB that stays independent.

Also I vote for one Aux color. I’d leave the common playful RGB to the other gamers, also no multi-UV-red-warm-cold-IR-… henpigsheepcowgoatfish. One serious beast at a time, maybe with some extra shine. The rest is up to the modder.

Yea ! 15Amps ;))) And how many watts? Simple pocket light can sustain like 8watts no more;))