Let's make a real BLF flashlight, calling up the brainstorm

Yea ! 15Amps ;))) And how many watts? Simple pocket light can sustain like 8watts no more;))

yes, absolutely. That’s why even 7A is pushing the limit. We are talking about 28 Watts of power, much of it to be dissipated as heat. The 15A would just be for re-using the driver on a much bigger flashlight.

It should be IP68 and withstand at least a 2 meters fall.

I totally agree with the idea of considering a flashlight working with AA’s. When i think of a flashlight, i always think of what would happen in a great emergency situation. How many hours of stored energy would i have available, if there were no electricity for several days. AA’s are widely available and you can stock as many alkaleaks you want, plus there are rechargeables. It could work with both AA’s and li-on’s, of course.

In the case of the li-on’s, here is my argument in favor of 18650. If you want to carry spare, fully charged lions in a waist bag for example, 2 21700 are a bit heavy but 2 18650 not so much. So, with 21700, you would end up carrying 1 spare 21700 and if 21700 = 4000 mah and 18650 = 3000 mah you would carry 1000 mah more with the 18650’s. Of course, if the total size/design of the flashlight justifies a 21700, then OK!

It should run Anduril 2.0 of course (or 3).

It should have monochrome aux leds, maybe with a choice of 2 or 3 colors (green for sure) during purchase.

It should have non-removable single sided clip. Or 2 flavors from the factory, why not, one with non-removable clip, the other with no clip/removable clip.

It should have the most efficient driver.

Lastly, as for zoomies, i like those with the rotating wheel that don’t alter the total length of the flashlight. I find it a great idea.

This is the configurable current limit. It does not mean to run at that much power. And, as written, the driver could be used for other projects as well. Reasonable would be a peak power of 7A, or maybe 8…9. SO the fourth jumper begins to make sense.
The project is not meant to top the 12A driver already available in a 21700 size light…

As a relative newcommer to the flashlight scene, my two cents is that the flashlight market is crying out for a rectangular flat host that can be easily carried in the pocket.

Olight brought something out in this shape quite recently, but i think we could make significant improvements

The shape itself lends to 2 x whatever battery is chosen, and potentially two LEDs on the front- one for flood, one with a deep reflector for throw.

I also imagine two configurable switches / modes. One switch is full turbo, the other is configurable, but i would personally have it ramping from moon

LEDs it goes without saying but High CRI

I think the light has to be very unique and unusual, like nothing else on the market, cuz "get latest , best led, battery, best driver...." is what every manufacturer does when making a new light. why bother making what is already plenty on the market.

There are two lights I would like to see:

1. Single 21700 light, M21G size, high CRI, general purpose beam, USB-C but with ability to sustain 2000 lumens. Maybe a small fan in the head?
  2. KR1 like tail switch light with, 21700, Anduril, throwy emitter types, USB-C charging, but with a head size less than 28mm for light painting.

Shapeways?

Aspheric zoomie? How bout a Cometa II. Maybe second time would be a charm. I still think the best BLF flashlight ever done was the original A6. The X5 & X6 were great too.

I know I’ve mentioned this before on this forum. But, how about a liquid cool light? We do this already on PCs. Why not in a flashlight? Several manufacturers also do this with home game consoles. Using a small copper pipe with vapor inside to act as a wick for the heat. Why not use an idea like that to manage heat and add runtime to any potential BLF light? I guess it would also depend on the size of the light, to be able to implement a heat dissipation idea like that. I am no expert, but I think is doable. And as someone mentioned, why not try and produce a more efficient, well-regulated boost driver? Perhaps one that can sustain high current levels for a longer period of time? Again, I am no expert. So, if such a driver already exists, why not use it for a custom build?

Yep. Heat pipe to wick away and spread the heat, like written in OP.
These are not expensive any more and would allow the use of the entire battery tube as a heat sink, at reasonable weight and with good efficiency. The Tube could then have cooling fins as well, in addition to the fins at the head, plus, it would allow to use aluminium as material, instead of expensive BeCu alloy, because the fins could be made much sturdier and wider, while in sum maintaining enough cooling surface.

I can feel the enthusiasm radiating from this thread. Good job OP!

I really like the modular idea, but if only the battery tube remains the same, isn’t that the least expensive part… like a few bucks at retail?

I also like the rectangular light idea. 2 x 21700 with onboard charging and power bank function… your choice of LED.

Then there’s my AMAZING idea (haha)… 3 x 21700 tube (so in series). Boost driver for 12v LED (GT FC40 or similar). Plenty of heat sinking for extended run time. This could be the modern day hi CRI “Maglite”… for when something goes bump in the night.

Extra idea… a basic BLF powerbank/charger/light… similar to the rectangular light above except 4 x 21700.

Keep it going!

I’d be in for that too! With th new leds out there with round dies, it would be awesome.

It’s a great idea, but ideas are just that until you get things on the drawing board and interested parties who can contribute logistically (i.e. manufacturers, OEM, ODM) who can handle the really difficult parts. You also need money (or supporters who do it pro bono on lieu of royalties).

Any new light would have to be unique and stand out, something that appeals to the consumer (w enthusiast and non enthusiast) , and come in at a price that’s feasible for everyone (not just die-hard enthusiasts or collectors with money to burn). Those along make it very difficult to compete with existing products on the market (saturation).

You also need patience. It can take years for an idea to come to reality (if ever), but this is a step in the right direction and the sky’s the limit!

I mentionned the side by side cell idea to Simon (haukkeli did as well), but I don’t think he was very interested. A lot of thought has to be put into the tailcap mechanism, preferably without using a center shaft.
Personally I would see it with 2x18650, I think 2x21700 would be too large/heavy and not be pocketable.

3S input would be too high Vin for a boost driver and 12V FC40. With 3S you can buck down to 1S or 2S LED (for full regulation), for example a XHP70 in 6V, or boost to 6S+ LED, e…g 3xXHP70 6V in series.
Also 2S+ cells increases greatly the complexity for integrated charging.
For driving only one FC40 a 1S input boost driver can be used.

I was just about to bring up the side by side light as well . But I think it has to be a AAx2 light lest it be too heavy .
I’m also into lights which use something other than aluminum. I’m all up for plastic and wonder why more manufacturers don’t use it. Not every light you own needs to be the brightest light you own.

I have a plastic single AA headlamp with a few Nichia hi cri 5 mm leds that weighs absolutely nothing and gets used a lot.
It also uses the last bit of voltage from alkaline/alkaleaks … thus giving ultimate satisfaction of knowing you’re slowly squeezing the last bit of life from a battery that may of had intentions of causing you harm . Beating the murdered to the gallows .
I’ll take a good plastic 2xAA side by side …..

No stupid advertising for the manufacturer/ no heat warnings or any printed garbage … It’s a budget forum light.If it’s done right it should be credited to the forum solely.

Like the BLF GT. I think the goal should be to make a light so good that it drives people to the forum and makes them want to join. I think that kind of attention and effort and energy put forth deserves all the credit and if that’s a greed on beforehand then I think it’s clearly understood by manufactures who commonly make flashlights and put peoples names on them… Even flashlights that are commonly known as something else Like a C8 or an S2…lights copied or cloned a hundred times over.

I want a nice rich green-colored light that’s completely waterproof.

I will call it The BLFrog.

A plastic light could as well be 3D-printed and completely DIY.
Unfortunately I’ve not yet managed to get a 3D printer and make myself familiar with this, so I can’t tell much more than an idea.

What about a DIY light made from hardware store aluminium parts, such as rails and sheets?
Even things like a heat pipe could be salvaged from scrapped computers, or bought.
A design like this would be unique and scalable, as parallel or serial batteries.
With an internal charging circuit (more easy with 1sXp battery — no balancer needed), removal of batteries by opening a few (thumb-) screws instead of just unscrewing a cap would still be acceptable.

Still left on the to-do is the driver. Or use one of the commercially available drivers.
Charging circuits are available in the Arduino scene.

TIR and good reflectors are available, so are all other parts.

Would involve some easy works with very basic household tools.

Wouldn’t the entire point of a “BLF” to make it in a way that it doesn’t need to be modded. If the requirement is just something to mod, might as well design a host rather than an entire torch.

what is a mule?

why is called that?

seriously, i never heard of it til now