Let's Talk Coffee! !

If you’d like to try something possibly similar, without the yuck factor, you can try Legendee Gold. It has the advantage of being cheaper, too!

Vietnamese coffee is just amazing. I’ve never really looked into why it is so, but it has strong flavours of chocolate and caramel but I don’t think it’s ever added in. It’s freakin amazing.

I like mine piping hot right from the machine and strong and black. I can't stand the usual weak diner coffee. The stronger and hotter the better. I drink a couple pots a day but am trying to cut back lately to maybe a pot or so.

Funny this should come up. I just scored an espresso machine for $4.25 after 50% off at a salvation army store. Figured the world’s best espresso from a local roaster would be a good place to start. I’d say it’s pretty good, but I’m a coffee noob. My caffeine intake must have tripled since I got it.

$4.25 espresso machine!

Coffee, I miss it terribly. Can't drink it any more. Won't drink that decaf junk. Maxwell House, old school, plain black coffee, strong enough to grow hair on yer a__, scalding hot, in an old chipped mug... Steam rising up, makes your nose run first thing in the morning, got to blow on it before taking a sip. Man O man, I Wish I could still drink the stuff.Frown

Why can’t you?

I had a Krups espressomachine like that, it works by bringing the water in the sealed reservoir to the boil, and the boiling presses the water through the coffee (just like a percolator actually). The coffee tasted good, but the (necessarily boiling) water is just a bit too hot for a real subtle taste, compared to espressomakers that use an electric pump. It was incredibly robust though, always worked.

Dolce Gusto Cappuccino!

Every now and again!

In Sweden we usually drink coffee as part of a "fika". Usually with some sweet bread, gingerbread cookie or a sandwich. A fika is a small social event that is a big part of life in Sweden. A short break at work, at home or on the town together with friends, family or fellow workers. Typically there is one fika at around 9.00 am and one at around 3.00 pm. Sometimes also at 11.00 am. Or when you meet someone and want to sit down and have a chat. At work it often replaces formal meetings, information is passed on and the day is planned. Or you have a fika-meeting, a meeting with coffee available.

The word "fika" is even said to be a reverse slang construction make from the word Coffee. Kaffe - Kaffi - Ka Fi - Fi Ka. Fika.

A place on town that serves fika is called a "fik". So you and a friend can go to the fik and fika. Most work places have a fika-room.

Nice steaming cup o joe, black, stout, and delicious….cheers!

(if a light comes in to mod today I’ll be shaky, but such is life)

Once you grind your own beans and start using a french press, there’s no going back because everything tastes like dirt in comparison. Just don’t get a cheap bean grinder because the uniformity of the grind will affect the flavor—get a good one like the KitchenAid.

We drink so much coffee that we used to burn out our coffee pots every couple months, even the expensive industrial models like Bunn. But the french press has nothing to burn out and will last many years until you drop it and it shatters. So not only has the quality of our coffee gone way up, the overall cost has gone way down.

Racer,

You just brought it to my attention that I have a French press that I haven’t used since before I got my coffee grinder. I don’t even know if the grinder I got can grind that coarsely. Maybe I’ll try it tonight…right before bed! Yeah, that’s a PERFECT idea!

Funny too that you mention dropping them. I had a Starbucks brand French press that my sister gave me when she was working there. It was dropped and shattered within months. I’ve had another, cheaper one, that has lasted at least 12 years or so, though, as I said, I haven’t used it in a while now. I looked up the replacement cost for just the glass for the Starbucks one, and it was cheaper to just buy the other French press.

If you were burning out your coffee makers every two months, how much DO you make in a day?!

Do any of you drink Turkish/Greek style coffee?

I have in the past and a friend from Egypt gave one of the little pots to make that style coffee. Very good stuff, but you need a grinder that can grind beans to powder.

I have a stainless steel press now, that I’m not really happy with, but there’s no chance of shattering it. Mostly we use Bodum glass french presses.

We were making about 2-3 pots of coffee a day and the coffee pot would run all day between batches. Most of them burnt out the heater from being on so long. Even the industrial ones you’d see in an office had short lifespans. The low end industrial ones weren’t much better than the “consumer” models.

The french press is perfect: It’s simple, it’s cheap and has a much lower cost of ownership because it does not take any power and there are basically no points of failure unless you drop it or damage the plunger. And OMG, you really can’t compare the end result as far as taste goes.

I’ll pretty much drink anything black with caffeine in it, but grinding my own and using a french press is a whole different world. I even travel with a french press in my checked luggage and if it’s a car trip, there will be fresh grounds in the ice chest. Remember that you want to brew it not long after you grind it, or it loses its flavor fast. We even store the beans in the freezer.

Just health issues. Been off stimulants like coffee, tea and soft drinks since I was in my late 40’s.

Really, better than a French press? Where would I find a sack like you are talking about? Thanks in advance, I love me some good coffee.

Not a coffee guru but I know what I like. Two filters, two extra heaping scoops, 1 sugar, 1 cream. Winter time, throw a packet of Swiss Miss coco on top of the coffee.

Tomorrow morning I'm having a couple of friends over for bagels, lox (smoked nova scotia salmon) and creme cheese, and of course a big pot of Colombian dark roast coffee. It's a very popular thing here in New York. Anyone else like bagels and lox?