LG 365nm UV led tested (LEUVA33W70RL00, from Simon)

Wish they could, but they are just buying lights from China and US manufacturers who are exaggerating claims, and building crappy lights. They are clueless about flashlights and can’t even spell BLF :wink:

If they know not to short the batteries they can use unprotected batteries, which are cheaper. You want the Samsung 30Q (the LG HG2 is slightly worse), Sony VTC6 or one of the ~3500mAh batteries (Sanyo GA, LG MJ1, Samsung 35E, Sony VC7). All of those have about the same discharge curve at high SoC. The Samsung 26F is cheaper but the voltage curve is certainly worse, I would avoid it. 4.35v max/3.85v nominal batteries may be slightly better but also more expensive and harder to find.

In UV flashlights overdischarge is not really a big issue because of the high Vf of the LED. A Liitokala or Zanflare Lii-100 can charge both 3.7v and 3.85v batteries for $6 and should be safe enough (unless the user changes the mode to 3.85v for a 3.7v battery, they are not foolproof). Edit: If 3.85v batteries aren’t used the ” Xtar MC1 Plus”:https://www.illumn.com/batteries-chargers-and-powerpax-carriers/chargers/xtar-ant-mc1-plus-li-ion-usb-charger.html is cheaper and more foolprof.

Protected batteries have a bit of additional voltage drop, which should be accounted for, but I’m not sure if it will have a measurable effect at 700 or 1050mA. The main issue with protected batteries is fitment, they may not fit in the Convoy S2+.

Thanks for all the suggestions on batteries - I will check them out. I may try to convince the manufacturers into supplying a good battery.
As far as fit, I don’t see a problem with protected batteries unless the springs are changed and fitted with copper tips (as they should be, but aren’t). Maybe then a problem?

Where did you see “Convoy S2+ 365nm False Power Claims” about 5 W?

Just to avoid confusion: As of today the genuine Convoy shop (buy somewhere else and you may get something else) is selling three types of UV LED flashlights:

• S2 grey, ZWB2 filter, 1750 mA driver with LG LEUVA33W70RL00
  • S2 black, ZWB2 filter, 1050 mA driver with unnamed LG, likely LEUVA33T00RL00
  • S2+ black, no filter, 700 mA with unnamed Nichia, likely NCSU276AT

There is some fuss about copyright claims on filters so the Nichia S2+ without filter is the only option for US buyers. (Change ‘Ship to’ country to see all three.)

That's not correct, as soon as constant current can't be sustained linear driver enters into so called dropout mode which is nothing else but direct drive (fully opened transistor).

I probably should have used another name instead of “Convoy”. That name has become like Kleenex in our fluorescent mineral hobby. Any 365nm light in the Convoy form factor we call a “Convoy”. But there are many knockoffs - Jaxman and others, all marketing various current - 1050ma, 1400ma, and have even seen a 1750ma light. Of course their wattage claims are all over the place, but most commonly I see 5W/6W (for example: Amazon.com). 3.8W here (along with dubious patent claims): Convoy S2+ UV 365nm LED Flashlight | Way Too Cool LLC. There are several others, lots from China (Fenix?, noname, etc.) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Convoy-S2-Grey-7135-5-365nm-5W-UV-Flashlight-Fluorescence-Sterilization-One-Mode-With-Hand-Strap/32968137300.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.36.dc303783kl14qB&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0%2Csearchweb201602_1_10065_10130_10068_10890_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10545_10696_453_10084_454_10083_10618_10307_537_536_10902_10059_10884_10887_321_322_10103%2Csearchweb201603_6%2CppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=0ca0b322-01f6-4aab-89a9-46a761fba0ad-5&algo_pvid=0ca0b322-01f6-4aab-89a9-46a761fba0ad&transAbTest=ae803_4&fbclid=IwAR2prQ-aMLyCXwOBEbElp6T5KT6jELdd2ziK7nNqY82WHNloJW7pM3AEeGQ

Actually the fuss is about a patent, silly. Agree, the Convoy is as above, but there are many copycats. In our hobby the word Convoy is used like Kleenex here in the US - a generic term.

Jaxman, Convoy, and Sofirn are all legitimate brands.

@pirateo40, that Amazon listing is doing some false advertising, and the light itself is waayyy too expensive knowing that Jaxman sells it at half the price.

And look at the 5th picture.

When they say 5/6W power, they mean power consumption, not power output/radiance.

Yes, I know. My OP on this topic was about consumption. Radiant output is another story. As far as false advertising, it’s the wild west out there. I spend half my day explaining to people why they shouldn’t buy the latest junk shown on Aliexpress or Amazon.

[quote=pirateo40]

Speaking of radiant - my next project - Nichia NVSU333A (http://www.nichia.co.jp/specification/products/led/NVSU333A-E.pdf)
Anybody play around with this chip yet? Around 5W radiant at 4.5A…

[quote=pirateo40]

Dale (DBCustom) bought one of those a year ago and made an impressive flashlight with it. Personally I’d rather make a C8f triple with 3 of the LG leds of the OP (and a 40mm ZWB2 filter from kaidomain) and have more output at one-third of the price. (project pending, but others have made it already).

Yeah, makes sense. My purpose was for display lighting that I make, so why not a flashlight too… C8f with 3 of the Nichia parts and a portable backpack A/C? :wink:

As to 18650 batteries, Amazon, Ebay and most Aliexpress stores should be avoided. Amazon has a big problem with commingled inventory and Ebay is just too risky. It’s best to stick to trusted vendors:

(that list was supposed to be part of the quote)

Hmm, just after buying a Nichia UV version from BG with discount, i read this thread.
Do i understand correct that the LG has more output and is less sensitive to heat?

If you are unhappy with regulation on a 18650, just stick 2 CR123 primary batteries in there, 6V is not too much for the AMC chips you got full power till the batteries are drained

I have build 3 buck/boost driver prototypes which worked great at 1A no MCU, always 100% no LVP just for a protected cell, but the costs of such a driver just the parts 8€ and development time
this would would put it in the 20€ range as there is expected to sell those in very limited quantities

my 2S buck driver can run them without any problem stick 2 18350 but its only available in 20mm so it would be not easy to install it you would need to carefully solder it to the pill,
you also would likely need to shorten the pill to compenssate the lengh loss of the 17mm driver cavity to the rim as well as bore it out to make all parts fit
of course people like hoop or kribbar could make a custom S2+ pill that fits it

There are some UV LEDs that run at 3.6V at 700mA, but others want 3.9-4.1V at 700mA

I took pictures of the Convoy S2 black 1050mA driver (LG LED) and Convoy S2+ black, Nichia UV LED.

Pardon the not-too-clear pictures, maybe someone identify them if they are indeed the LEDs mentioned above.

Here is the first one, and the second one. Looks good.

d_t_a, is the Nichia mounted on a DTP mcpcb?

Where did you buy it?

Nichia is not DTP but its in latest gen on a copper board with better thermal properties than the first ones