LG video threatening fines and jail time for consumers using their cells

Most of the general public should not own or use bare li-ion cells.

They closely rememble an alkaline battery and the general public has used alkaline batteries (or NiCD, NiMH etc) in a flippant and careless manner their entire life. They do not take any special precautions.

So when they see an 18650, to their untrained eyes it’s just a bigger version of what they are familiar with. Inevitably they use them flippantly and without caution.

There are members of BLF who should be be using li-ion cells. A minority thankfully.

Hobbyists have been using high discharge LiPo’s for more than a decade. A single puncture and it’s on fiery, uncontrollable fire. There are no regulations and anyone can walk into a RC store and buy them.

I guess the fuss behind Li Ion specially 18650s is how mainstream they have become but the flashlight industry only makes up a very minor portion of the accidents. The result is integrated battery packs flashlights that are much more expensive, but supposedly “safer”.

Guys it is South Korea. They can enact any law(s) they want in their own country. Unless you are planning to move to South Korea why is everyone in a twist?

Ah, yes. The old "My baby! My baby!" argument wins every time.

You guys understand they just want people to use protected cells?

I have a middle-aged son who keeps slinking back homeward due to lonelyness(claimed) but more likely laziness. If I openly charge, discharge and otherwise use lithium ion batteries in indescriminate ways, might that be enough to drive him out of the house?

Wellp, you can just get a pair of shorts and swim-goggles (ie, proper safety equipment) as well as a hammer, axe, other tools, and test the resilience of various 18650s. The resulting fumes’n’flames should do the trick.

Wellp, had to make a comment in the above linked video. :))

Does anyone from LG/Samsung goes to jail if battery/fire explosion happens in their phones, not by users fault? For some "strange" reason they don't mention or show battery fire videos of their phones when users are not the cause, but their design fault. So this video is probably created to try to shift all blame to users when future accidents happen.

Why do y'all feel addressed by a video that's clearly NOT targeting your jurisdiction?

Its the unprotected mafia feeling like they are oppressed :wink:

make protection circuits that can handle upwards of 15A and are compact enough for our purposes and i’ll be all over them

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!11 :smiley:

All that needs to be said on the matter. There is fault when uninformed users buy the cells but not when the manufacturer knowingly and willfully sells a defective product containing the cell. Says a lot about the influence of these tech megacorps on the already shady ROK govt.

While possible, an external protection circuit will always pose some sort of burden. Some circuits with additional 8205 MOSFETs or whatever sort of meet the figure but the voltage drop and thermal impact is noticeable.

To me current cells are safe because I am safe, period. Designing a cell dumbass-safe poses additional requirements which could or may be met by newer technologies, there are many already but the market needs to evolve. Despite all of this the actual solution is to raise the vibration of dumbasses into enlightened, knowledgeable and responsible people.

Excuse me but what does ROK govt. mean? I guess it doesn't means a government which rocks, does it? :-D

Whether you like it or not it is always best to develop the best possible beliefs government (and everything) wise, this may be a challenge for some I can understand.

Samsung 30q protected, doesnt trip at 15 amps

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Keeppower%2018650%203000mAh%20P1830R%20(Black)%202017%20UK.html

:slight_smile:

Oh yeah, i’m fine with them myself. however some lights don’t have LVP so i can’t loan them out.

Pass on all built-in protections here.

I can make my own safeties when needed, thank you.

Republic of Korea

Yes, and protection strips are dangerous if the wrap gets damaged. Short-circuit!