Light and compact 18650 for backpacking

I’ve gotten a bunch of great advice here recently, and am looking for help with one more. Thanks to suggestions here, I added a Jacob A60 to my collection of throwers and couldn’t be happier. I will soon have a cottonpicker to charge my batteries from my Biolite stove while backpacking. (thanks scaru!)

All of my current 18650 lights are large and average 7-9 ounces (more for the multi cell ones). I want to purchase an 18650 cell light that is more compact (small reflector) and lightweight. Many backpackers count grams, I am not that extreme but it appears I can easily save 1/4+ pound on my back by carrying a smaller light without giving up the dependability that premium 18650 cells offer. I gave up carrying 16340 lights after having several better brand protected and not 16340 cells go bad. For a long time I really liked my LiteFlux LF3 (SSC P4), but gave it up for what seems to me be a clear advantage in the 18650s - much more capacity for a little more weight, and more dependability.

I have searched the site however most of the results (threads and reviews) are a year or older, so perhaps there are newer lights I should consider that some of you are familiar with or already own. I did see recommendations/reviews on some of the older lights that were under 3 ounces.

From my understanding, the XP-G will throw better than the XM-L, so that would probably best in a compact flashlight build that has a small reflector if I want some throw. I would consider the SSC P7 as well though. If I am wrong in any of my assumptions, for my own shopping efforts, please let me know. If my logic makes sense, I’d like some suggestions for a 18650 light with these requirements:
*Sub 3 ounce
*Compact (very little or no flare in diameter for reflector, compact length)
*Genuine Cree or SSC emitter
*sub $30

Other considerations:
*I prefer twisty for compactness, it isn’t critical as I have seen compact lights with clickies.
*If clicky, I have no opinion at all For/Rev, nor do I care if it will Tailstand or not.
*In my experience, side switches always make a light longer so I am against those in this application.
*I don’t care if it level II anodized or HA III, this light does not need to stay pretty.
*I require at least 2 steady on modes (IE High/Low), and would prefer a MHL or HML 3 mode. If a good light’s mode arrangement includes at least 2 solid modes I can deal with cycling through the blinky crap.
*I prefer metal reflector and glass lens, not dealbrakers.
*OP/SMO don’t care, not a wall hunter and can move the light if there are rings.

Thanks in advance for any responses and all of the information I have already gained from the threads.

- Matt -

It sounds like one of E1320’s 2100s is what you would be looking for then… Unfortunately, his group buy is over:

Here’s a review by Foy…

Here is my suggestion:

From what I’ve read so far, both the P7 and XM-L needs to be driven hard to produce a great amount of light, this got 2 downsides: heat + shorter runtime

So personally I would stay with XPG, I really like its whole beam pattern, it’s stuck between throw and flood an allrounder I would say.

YEZL Z1:
http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1004

About the weight, did you meant 3 ounces with or without the 18650 in it ?

It’s way over your three ounces but how about this?

I cannot tell you how happy I am with this little light, it only takes the smaller cells (no 2800/3100mah protected cells) but its a real nice 3 mode light, very slender, I don’t notice it in a pocket, Mrs gords does not notice it in her bag, is not overly driven (about 2.6a on high) but is very diminutive in size with a very polite low.

Failing that, I feel the urge to point you at a q5 c8, decent throw, the cheapo one I got off eBay is well driven and easily throws as well as my bigger reflector xm-l’s but with a usable spill, its used in a head strap at work as my go to light (niteize head strap if your interested), only downside is it does have blinkies, but it was so cheap, I don’t care.

big fan.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-152/ShiningBeam-S-dsh-mini-XP-dsh-G-R5/Detail

carry on my hip almost constantly. a bit underdriven but will take a serious beating. XM-L is too green, but thats ok XP-G runtimes are better. quick ship. nice guy, very helpful if there is a problem. a touch over your 30USD, but thought i would mention it.

I would also second the UF2100. Compact, Cree XML, 3 mode (2 solid).

http://www.tmart.com/UniqueFire-UF2100-CREE-XMLT6-8W-1000LM-3-Mode-Flashlight-Black_p144726.html

Not sure you’ll find a tremendous thrower with such a small relector. An XR-E might be a better bet.

Wow, soo many replies! Thanks to all.

Nikanon, The Yezl linked first looks very nice. I did mean below 3 ounces without battery.

Gords, That stainless steel light is very pretty, but out of the question! :bigsmile: The “Q5 C8” I could find using a google search brought up the Ultrafire one, which still seems to have a large flare for the head. What has me very curious is the head strap you mentioned - you have one that properly holds an 18650 light? Do you have a link for that? That might help me totally eliminate the separate 18650 headlamp I pack for trail lighting and replace it with a once ounce Cyclops Atom for eating and the like.

Hyde and Heyho - both suggestions worth considering, thank you very much! I am off to pick up someone from the airport, but will check this thread again later tonight - great suggestions…

- Matt -

This Nitecore headband has some good reviews and gives you many options for holding 18650 sized lights. Available plenty other places. I don't own one.

-Garry

Actually, the Yezl is probably better than my suggestion, due to the amount of heat from an XML on high.

+1 to shiningbeam s-mini. It’s a bit over your price, but compact and light (45.5 grams without battery).

One reason to reject it is if you were going for max output… the xpg (~$34) version is burning at about 1amp on high. Of course, that’s giving you more runtime…

http://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/8848148466215332516?hl=en&sky=mrdr&site=webhp&source=hp&q=nite%20ize%20headband&oq=niteize+h&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.1.0i10l5.3419.11568.0.14526.15.11.2.2.2.0.226.2220.0j4j7.11.0…0.0…1ac.VrG4tiV3Cjc&sa=X&ei=WCk9UITtN_LM0AWuvoDYAw&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAQ#hsec:overview

That was just the top google result. Mine is about ten years old an has held mini maglites, 3 AAA cheapo lights and now the c8, its very secure and the Velcro is holding up well, it has two elastic bands for smaller or bigger lights and has got wet, covered in oil, battered about and still works, I am thinking of replacing it as it struggles with my m10.

It’s not the best picture, but you can see both the m10, the c8 and the head strap. Ignore the colours, both lights have had the blow lamp treatment……

T-Mini:

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1471

There are a few of these minimalistic flashlights around, the specs differ not that much, so in the end it’s about personal taste I guess.

Yeah buddy … UF-2100 Etomic …. What a light !!!

I’m actually suprised no one has suggested a p60 host and an xp-g/xr-e driver yet.

I won’t as I have a p60 affliction, I’m just not keen, but, there are many hosts and modules available, an many bare modules, led stars and drivers available to build your own ideal set up, or, commission someone like e1320 to build you an ideal module based on your specs.

I’ll leave the p60 aficionado’s to make educated suggestions, but the skyray r5 (i think) has caught my eye a few times, and building/buying a suitable module is a good step towards doing your own mods.

I would get a headlamp and the figure out the least amount of throw you really need and get the smaller hand held that will meet that need.

Throw generally = larger head however (along with the emitter and current).

Another vote here for the Shiningbeam S-Mini xp-g. Better build quality than the UF2100...nice low mode, perfectly flat regulation, and very light weight. Easy enough to swap the emitter to the xpg 2 also if you want a bit more throw/output.

Since winning mine in the shadows last giveaway, it has become my favourite single 18650 light. Very compact, light, very bright and with the ramping (and memory) I can tweak the output to whatever I want it to be. It has a strobe mode, but you have to double click to get to it so it is avoidable for normal use. The magnetic base is very handy as well. Side switch is much more comfortable to use.

It really surprises me that this light isn’t more popular.
Review:

http://www.lighthound.com/Solar-Force-L2T-Flashlight-Host-for-18650—L2-Host-Black-Finish_p_3900.html

Just got the SS solarforce, but there are a TON of solarforce parts to customize what you want.

Go with an XML dropin and run it on med/low for your longer runtimes, XML is pretty floody and great for general med/short range work out of a p60.

That site has a ton of solarforce stuff, l2t is a great looking host and comes highly recommended from a lot of people here.

Thats a "half bake"

Eagletac D25LC2 - the older, twisty one. Should be cheap now - heres a link to a UK supplier: Fenix, Nitecore, Zebralight, Eagletac, Olight and Maxpedition

About as tiny as you can get for an 18650, very light, copper in the head for good heatsinking, 1.5A on high, great optics ( VLOP reflector and coated glass) I really like it - It’s just in a different class to the stuff mentioned above. Nice and throwy too, considering the head diameter