Light and compact 18650 for backpacking

:~ :bigsmile:

So the leaders for me now are that Yezl Z1 and the Shiningbeam S-Mini

When I posted this, I was shooting for sub 3 ounces without battery, and that Shiningbeam is almost half that even! At 2.4 ounces the Yezl is also comfortably below - if they would have skipped the stainless steel attack bezl, it would probably be very close to the S-Mini weight. I am amazed these bigger, brighter lights are so close in weight to the LiteFlux LF3 16340 light I used to carry. (it was 1.24 ounces) The price difference is a dilemma - is saving 45 grams worth paying double? To compound matters Dan brings up that light with a S2 bin emitter - you bastard! :bigsmile:

Reviews I have noticed here and elsewhere seem to list it at a $30 price and not the $15 price linked above. Has the light dropped that much in price or are we dealing with on-offs here? (I don’t mind clones as long as they are quality)

Dan, the Eagletac is an awesome light, but the $50 price is just not worth it to me for its intended purpose. I backpacked 8 times last year and 5 this year. Chances are that this light will get replaced after 20 or fewer uses. Technological advances will require me to upgrade before durability is an issue whether I get a $15 one or a $100 one. On the other hand my EDC is a AAA/10440 and I will consider spending that much (or more) when I replace it - it will be in my pocket, attached to my keys for hundreds to thousands of times and long term durability will be of concern. Of course the question/challenge of “what if” always arises when you decide if a budget light is for you. In my experience that is why I’m really glad I found this forum. If I had posted this question to the other one I would have received multiple replies claiming I needed to buy a super premium brand, custom build, or titanium light or it would be total crap. So, I believe that all of the suggestions (that have been generously provided) are reliable lights. No matter the brand or durability I still feel the need to address “what if” while backpacking; a light can be lost no matter how good it is. My “what if” backup light is a 6 gram Photon Micro-Light II pro covert (recently replaced the previous Photon Freedom) that gives me about 5 lumens. For EDC, I also have a backup light on my cell phone.

If I can continue to leach off of the knowledgeable folks here… Bump and thanks in advance for what advice has come and anything else that follows.

- Matt -

+1 for XML. At any drive current it puts out more light than an xpg though xpg-2 might come close. When backpacking, I use a light mostly for close work so floody is good. The exception is heaving a bear hang rope at night but with modern canisters that’s no longer necessary. For more throw in a compact package I would recommend a tir optic. Pick your beam angle an pop it in.

I own and carried the UF Mini-T60 XML T6 on 2 trips before deciding I had to have more throw and 18650 cells. I also own a L2M R2, but have never carried it due to its weight, but it is one of my favorite lights. In testing, the L2M throws better than the Mini-T60 and P60 dropins are not know as throwers. For close work, cookint, etc I like to preserve my night vision and use a 1 ounce Cyclops Atom headlamp - the flashlight will only be for bear bagging and the like.

I’m getting a compact light with a small reflector, so although the XM-L definitely puts out more light, I feel the need to get the emitter with the best throw as opposed to the most light. I do appreciate the counterpoints though Rufusbduck.

Thanks to all for your continued input and advice.

• Matt -

I like my new Roche F12 desert mini - small, light and puts out a good spread of light. I got the three mode so the potential is there for good runtime also. Out of interest I fitted a Solarforce pocket / landyard clip and it works fine.

Other than that, and I know you said no flared head, but the Solarforce P1 would be a good pick. Bright yellow would be hard to lose, too… :smiley:

Hey Matt
Some suggestions -

Ultrafire C303. 110 grams with a protected 3100. One of my favourite EDCs.

Ultrafire S5. 101 grams with battery, Q5, 5 mode no memory but very cheap.

Solarforce L2. SS version is 167 grams with battery. R5. Single mode ! As Gords and PineyJustice have mentioned, it’s a very serviceable light.

Finally, the unnoticed
Sipik SK73. 115 grams with battery. XM-L T6, Zoomie 5 modes. very solid feel.

These are for campsite use, If I wanted throw it would be a
C8 Q5 - 178 grams.
I did a lot of hiking years ago, for me it was always about weight, so I’d take the S5.
Unless I holster carried on a belt, then it would be the C303.

If weight was not an issue, I would take
XinTD V3 C8 with NW tint - 226 grams - fantastic colours outdoors, my favourite nightwalker.

How about this one?
P10-R5
It’s very lightweight (52g without battery), doesn’t need to get hot to throw a bit (like all compact XM-L lights), and it’s waterproof (a friend forgot it in his trousers and washed it in the washing machine… No water got in…)

I actually modded mine with XM-L, but I wanted flood. It’s one of my favourite EDCs.

C8!

Hello all, thanks for all of the suggestions! I placed an order for the S-Mini just moments ago.

I’ll have a 18650 light that weighs less (minus battery) than the 16340 lights I used to carry. That is a win!

- Matt -

I jut found a very light and compact 18650: an “Akoray AK-12 CREE Q3 LED Aluminum Flashlight” from http://www.easylightbuy.com/akoray-ak12-cree-q3-led-aluminum-flashlight_p202.html .

Shallow and effective knurling and square threads to hold the tail cap with minimal thickness. It is 111 mm. x 21 mm. I measure 36 grams (1 1/4 oz.). It only has one mode. I measured 0.4 A at the tail, which should let it run for a few hours. The small XR-E gives reasonable throw with such a small head. I doubt that you will find a lighter 18650; my Sipik SK73 weighs 75 grams with the same postage scale. The head does not come off to use it as a lantern.
I used to carry a candle stub, a cheap polyethylene AA light, an Tekna Microlith and finally a Tekna Monolith (CR123A) and a candle lantern, when I back packed. Even the AKOray seems a bit big to me. I would probably be looking for a light led 1x 14500 or 1x CR123 light if I were going again. Of what I have, I would take an SK58 and a couple of button lights. Depends on how much light you want and for how long.

Others here are much more qualified than I to make an 18650 recommendation.

Just slightly OT,…if you havent already, I would suggest anyone explore hammock backpacking.

I have been hammock camping for a couple of years now and found it be the far the most comfortable nights sleep outdoors, fast set up, versatility in where you set camp, best viewing experience for sleeping under the stars, day lounging and for traveling a bit lighter than a tent system…at least in my experience.

I am a regular on the hammockforums so had to throw that plug out there.

How many 1-2-3 year old threads are you going to post this in?

You have a point, it is so relevant to this thread, but I could have posted a link to an earlier post of mine.