light for non enthusiast

How about a Trustfire R5-A3 every one who sees one is blown away by what a AA battery can produce for light. Plus KD has the one with the modable driver for $14bucks.

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=10582

That’s a damned good suggestion!

For throw w/ AA, the ultrafire c88 looks the light to get. I was trying to figure out if it's regulated as that would be best for alkaline/nihm usage. DD might be erratic w/ different batteries.

+1

A great looker too. So ideal for a gift.

Brted beat me to it. I think the L2i/XPG/AAA combo is a very good one as long as good rechargables are used.

It is a quite bright one in the AAA competition. I tried the same drop-in with 2xAA also. Acceptable but not as bright as 3xAAA in a L2i. Always advise to get a P60 as a first light. Has great expansion ability and gives a balanced throw - flood as a utility light.

I'd say it's hard to beat SF L2r + low voltage 3-mode XPG R5 dropin with OP reflector. Not the chepest alternative, as they are 25$ combined, but very good quality and nice looking light. Especially in silver. And maybe with another bezel, that stock one is too aggressive to my taste. I did one for a friend where I put the L2X standard bezel I had laying around and replaced the emitter with neutral R4 and he has been very impressed with the light.

Get him a kd c8, charger and two 18650 batteries. He may then become an enthusiast

Mcu_C-88...3AA's feels like a tank beautiful bezel tons of throw ..Nobody doesn't like this light .it feels like 100$ flashlight and takes off the shelf AA's if that's all you have .

*Always remember you're unique just like everyone else.

thanks for all the suggestions guys

i will give them some thought i am leaning towards the AA and AAA powered lights

he is not the sort of guy who is going to babysit batteries that are charging

and i don't want to be responsible for there house burning down

Why don't you get him the Ultrafire C301 at $17.70 it's cheap.

Takes 2xAA.

Has only 1 mode so it's easy to use.

The E21 is a great light & available at $30.

If you're not against modding, a great option would be to make your own light for him. I did this recently so I could have lights to gift to relatives. This is what I used:

1x Wootlite

1x XM-L

1x 4.2-8.4v 3A 3mode driver

3x 3AA battery holders

1x UCL 40mm lens

What one ends up with is a 2D mag sized flashlight (smaller head), that will put out over 800L on 6 AA alkalines for @$30. Everyone should experience the joy of a well driven XM-L :)

This reminds me...I really need to update the original post with this build.

Fenix E21 :p

FWIW it looks like they're going for $35+ for the most part now. The last time I checked several vendors had them for $29.

You can get the Fenix E21 at buydig.com for $29.69 shipped if you use coupon code fenix10.

E21 Fenix at dino direct $32 - 8$ it's 24$??

http://www.dinodirect.com/led-flashlight-135lm-fenix-e21-cree-xp-e.html

I bought a uf 2100 ultrafire xml instead for 11$ fandy fire clone

http://www.dinodirect.com/se-uf-2100/

probably should have bought the fenix

Boaz, what about the -8?

do you need a coupon?

You need to have over 100 posts on this forum, then contact Semur.

Ok.. that sounds awesome... but 100??? ok.. pity for me

The X series of Xeccon can meet all your requirements, hope your brother like the surprise you prepare for him.