LightMalls BLF Custom Circuit Board (Project Fails Seeking New Vendor [relic38/FlashPilot Taking Over Idea])

Hi FlashPilot, I did see that, and I’m putting it all together to try and come up with a good way to configure the config UI without being complicated.
Still open to ideas, but i definitely want to keep it flexible. I’m set on the ramping config, variable mode count, adjustable cutoff voltage, two+ current sens resistors (ideally one populated, one+ empty for easy modding).

I have some questions for everyone. I thought of using a poll or survey(better) to do that. It would be much easier to track than asking in here. Once I set it up, I’ll post a link for everyone to fill out.

Do y’all know the “Flupic” board and firmware?
It’s no longer available — guy who made them retired a while back — but a wonderful driver of some years ago.

Google “flupic firmware” and look for the PDF for V2.2, the last one I think — showing the modes and settings.

The ideas here are similar — and the presentation of how to navigate could be done like those, which were/are very helpful.

quick link to flupic

Introducing FluPIC V2.2 firmware - User Guide UP! | Candle Power Flashlight Forum!

its cpf, I shivered…

Thanks Relic. Maybe you can post your UI, or I can make suggestions for entering initial program mode… its up to you. Or feel free to PM me if you want.

Im looking forward to your poll. But just so we dont miss any criteria, can you post your subjects?

All in all, the UI ideas sound intuitive and easily described in a youtube vid of the finished product; for those unclear about the operation. But above all else, just having any good 4A boost driver with high PWM frequency solves a huge amount of shortcomings.

These questions may be premature but I’ll go ahead and post anyway.
Will the driver continue to still boost effectively while running at anything less than 100%?
If so, why would we need resistor mods unless it is to exceed 4A?

Hi FlashPilot, I didn’t get alot of time on this tonight. However, I can answer some questions. I hope to get more time on the weekend for this and get the UI nailed down. I want to have the survey up and running for tomorrow too.
The main subjects of the survey will be regarding the UI. I want to gather as much input as I can using questions that tailor to multiple choice answers. There will also be an open entry section to add stuff that users feel was missed. Examples are, how many quick-presses to enter programming. Max. number of modes, timeouts. There will also be hardware related ones like max current you would need, soft switch option, gang option, etc. Some are y/n, some are multiple choice.
Regarding the dimming, I’m considering a different option to handle the dimming. If my theory is correct, we may be able to dim the output by adjusting the feedback voltage (or a reference voltage if available) into the boost controller. This would allow ‘linear’ dimming with no PWM on the output. It’s a common way to control typical Switch-mode voltage regulator ICs. I think it will also work for this type of IC (this is why I need to talk to Bill, badly). there may still be a need for PWM down at the moonlight levels, but for anything down to 20% or so, no PWM means safe use around motors and fans. Fingers crossed everyone :wink:
The resistor mod would be there to raise or lower the max output current. Mostly to raise it. If we can do what I suggest above, there may not be a need for resistor mods. Just adjust the max output by adjusting the reference voltage. Go as high as you want until the boost inductor saturates (we’ll probably need to add a safe limit here).
Don’t get too excited about this just yet; I need to discuss this with Bill. He may know of a reason to not do this (I’m a software guy, so hardware is not my strongest suit).

Hiya Relic,

The creativity in problem solving and innovation just keeps pouring in. While its a great idea to get as much as we can out of this driver, I think we should pause for a moment and consider who the mediator, suppliers, engineers and manufacturers might be. We certainly dont want to overwhelm them and have them tell us to get lost. When you get right down to it, a simple 3 mode H/M/L driver that can effectively and reliably boost at 4A on a single cell would be very much appreciated by most and still sell like hotcakes if priced reasonably. With that thought in mind, would we do better to have them create the hardware and supply the package with a recommendation for an easy to use USB programmer to modify the firmware later? At this point, focus would shift specifically towards hardware and its ability to do what we want of it - well into the future, with easy access to a clip-on a programmer in such a way that anyone can do it. The How To Build a Flashlight With Perfect Modes thread has spawned many of its own interests.

Here’s why Ive mentioned this sudden change in direction: I truly believe that with all the options that we desire and with the inherent level of technical difficulty, there will be no way of supplying a stable firmware release within the first few revisions. It will most likely be a long evolutionary process of firmware tweaking to come up with an excellent product. At that point, who owns the source code and who has the knowledge, time and desire (passion) to keep tweaking out the bugs and making the code available to the masses? Dr. Jones has been very generous in offering us his time but I havent seen him comment for a while in this thread. Id really appreciate his expert opinions in all of this.

We are a group of perfectionists and everyone has an opinion. Its just the nature of the hobby and of those that revel in it. From previous experiences of observing the group, I feel strongly that many will be very dissatisfied with whatever solution is provided when the inevitable firmware glitch shows up. Most of us are used to some bashing and negative comments but this might quickly offend the provider and make him run. If we kept firmware development “in-house”, there would be more than enough collaboration and knowledge to get the most out of this driver. In all likelihood, it seems logical that there would be several firmware versions available for specific purposes to satisfy the group. A great how-to guide in doing some of our own rudimentary programming to effect our own changes would also be helpful.

You’re the liaison and will have the best knowledge of what Bill might be able to have accomplished. A possible scenario might be that you find out how far he can take hardware/firmware development and then provide you with a copy of the firmware source code so that we can continue the development. We and they would have access to the latest firmware releases, which guarantees continued interest and sales of this driver. After all, we are the enthusiasts, they are the sales people. We both win… or we both lose.

What are your thought? Anyone else also please comment…

Dr Jones, PM sent.

I agree with this, in principle anyway. I didn’t really expect Bill’s team to implement the entire firmware functionality. Hopefule might have been a better way of describing it. I would like that to be the case, and if he can that’s great.
With that out in the open, it is likely that this will be an open source, collaborative project involving some BLF users that have code writing experience. This can be managed online quite easily (Google Code, Github, etc.). The survey will include design abilities as part of the questions. I know of a couple of members that have experience with coding.
Because of this, I need to ensure that we select an MCU that works for us. A lot of members probably have a preference (more survey questions), and I’m sure my preference does not align with any of them (I’ll explain this more some day; in short, I’m biased because of my work experience). When Bill signs back on we’ll iron this out.

Regarding a right-out-of-the-shute driver, getting the hardware right is the primary objective. Basic firmware that gets the board up and running (i.e. four fixed modes, low voltage cutoff) is all I will aim for to start.
In the meantime, the survey will proceed to gather ideas for the advancement of the driver.

Bill, I hope we (I) haven’t scared you away. There have been no big changes that will make this more difficult for your team. When you are back online, we can finalize the hardware and move forward with the basic version. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sounds perfectly logical and reasonable to me.

Up to this point, it sounds like all the bases have been thoroughly covered. Well done! It will be interesting to see what the MCU preferences are after the survey and the reasoning behind them.

+1 :)

Hello Mr. Zang,

Again, thank you for joining the BLF forum. We are all still very excited to buy the 4A boost driver from LightMalls when it becomes available. Will you please respond to Relic38’s private messages? He could also use your email address for better communication. Please feel free to ask any questions of us. As relic mentioned, the simple UI will do for now.

Mr. Zang, thank you for reading. Please come back to visit us soon.

Edit: PM sent

Hello Mr. Zang,

Do you have any updates for us? Please reply.

+1

I recall one recent response from Bill was he needed about 10 days to get the PCB done. That was early last week. Sorry FlashPilot, I forgot about that in my email earlier today.
I am still going to ask for an update, just to stay in the loop.

I’m still holding out hope that this turns out well :slight_smile:

UPDATE: Bill just got back to me and has been very busy. While 4A doesnt seem possible in a 17mm driver, we will see what the maximum current might be in a boost driver of that size. Im hopeful for at least 3.5A, but we wont know till Bill regroups with his engineering team.

For now, only the 629 MCU would be available, so only basic mode groups for now. Relic pressed for the 675 but it is not available to their manufacturing team. Relic says they can be swapped by the user with reflow/soldering skills, so there is still some hope for those that want fully programmable modes (as mentioned above).

If we can at least get a 17mm boost driver available to the masses, there will be further interests in physically larger and more powerful boost drivers in the future.

Relic: email headed your way…

interested

This is a very nice project with great looking targets. I’d really love to see it come to fruition as Relic has been playing it out. I’ve recently tried my first ramping driver and have to say that it’s frustrating. It goes through too fast, I can’t get the modes set, and have a nice lo and double Hi that I can’t seem to get changed. The whole idea of a ramping set is great, but it’s got to be actually usable or it’s pointless. I now have a much simpler driver coming to replace the ramping driver. First time ever to do a driver mod and I’m already, in less than a week, swapping it out.

If this can be done the way y’all are going about it, I’d love in! The 17mm board is great, the Amperage level is just what I’m trying to achieve (in fact, just today I ordered 7135 chips to be able to take the new driver from 3.04 to 4.1A, also a first if I do that)

Best of luck in getting this done, would love a shot at 3 or 4 of these myself.

Thanks FlashPilot for getting in touch with Bill. I got the email.
basically, the compromises are significant. I will respond to Bill asking for clarification on the memory restrictions and the output power limit.
I do understand what he means by 4A is too much for a 17mm board. There is no space for the larger components. A two-piece board would be needed, but I’m afraid it would price us out of a budget board. I may ask him to drop down to 3.5A, 3.2A should be doable.
A larger board would make it not popular enough to consider.
I have replied to Bill, let’s see if he is OK with 3.5A… even 3A is quite good (my absolute minimum for this project) when you consider it would be delivered at any Li-Ion battery voltage from 3.0V to 4.2V. A linear driver would drop out much earlier, especially on XM-L2.

Thanks Relic, I received your reply & Im glad to help out wherever I can. Im pleased that Bill hasnt given up on us yet and continues to challenge his engineers. It is a bit disheartening to discover that the assumed target of 4A is no longer possible. I agree that anything above 3A will be very useable to the masses, especially when boosted all the way down to 3.0V.

If this doesnt materialize, we’ll be approaching other Chinese flashlight manufacturers (and others) to see what their engineers can do for us. Since Bill continues to respond and is attempting to make strives, we’ll give him and his team the first crack at this market.

Bill, thank you for staying with us. We are very pleased with all of your efforts in trying to make this driver a reality. It may be difficult for you to comprehend the potential sales volumes that may await you - if you succeed in bringing this driver to market at an affordable price. Please be assured that it will completely revolutionize the single cell budget flashlight.

The proposal at this time:
3.5A
Boost down to 3.0V
17mm
629 MCU
Modes: 100–25–2%–20mA with memory

We look forward to assisting you again very soon.