Long term power outage scenario - are you ready?

for some odd reason, I’d only want a diesel generator, not a petrol-powered one. Kerosene or paraffin oil, even - but, no petrol.

One of these days, I’ll get one, sooner or later.

That is SERIOUSLY cool.

I have SERIOUS doubts.

That looks like a wood gas stove. I hear those release an incredible amount of carbon monoxide. Other than that, I like that they use a TEG to produce electricity.

I’m not as ready as I should be. My food will spoil and so will I… :Sp

About what ? Science ?

Ive got a 6d mag with a 1/2 watt nite ize for long term outages along with 6 backup d cells (they are primaries, and they are replaced regularly to ensure freshness) supposedly it will last 160hours + on constant

and if a zombie apocalypse really is coming a 6d mag will serve as a nice beatdown stick!

I got one of these almost 2 years ago. I have the basic 55w version but I can add 5 more solar panels to it if needed (or if I get rich). I have already made an adapter to connect to my rackmounted UPS’s to charge the batteries. I’m ready!

http://www.maxavision.net/joomla/index.php/featured-products/56-repps-kit

Nuu, of course not. By profession, I’d rather have science to calculculate with, than belief.

However, I do have serious doubts about magic power sources which consume nothing, but provide lots of energy, whilst producing little or no smoke at all. (Or carbon dioxide. Or radiation, for that matter. Or certain heavy metal pollution, like lead, mercury, antimony, cobalt…)

If only it just wouldn’t contradict the second law of thermodynamics…

It uses the heat from the fire...

I have an Eton clip ray. You crank it up and it lights up 3 LEDs. It also has a USB port so you can charge your gadgets. In emergencies and you have no more juice left on your cellphone, you can crank up to 5 minutes and get 2 minutes call time.

I guess dynamo powered lights are very useful and you can use batteries sparingly.

You can ‘doubt’ it all you want - it’s on the market, and I plan on purchasing one for camp use.

I’ll be sure and report back if I find a genie inside, or tiny horse on a treadmill…

It certainly doesn’t do that.

It produces little smoke because it appears to be a wood gas burner. Woos gas burners produce large amounts of carbon monoxide, far worse than the carbon dioxide you mentioned. Also, you are non-specific with your statement about radiation but I can assure you, there is all kinds of radiation (infrared mainly) that will be coming off of that stove.

The device uses a thermoelectric generator to create the energy used to charge the devices (2 watts isn’t that impressive). This device is essentially a lot of small thermocouples bunched together to create a large surface area that can actually be used to generate a potential difference. If you look at the design specifications of the device on the linked page in the original post, you can see that the device requires the use of a fan to cool the “cold” side of the TEG. This temperature differential is what causes the flow of electrons, creating the potential difference.

I still prefer my solution. See post #27, click on the link and open the PDF. The Brentronics REPPS is used worldwide and is a proven winner. And, I don’t have to burn anything. Not that I don’t like fire. :wink: The biggest drawback to solar is the initial cost. Once you get over that hump………………………

If I lose power for more than a couple of minutes, I begin shaking and drooling and farting uncontrollably. I’m addicted to electrons. Gotta have ’em. Can’t live without ’em. Just thinking about it makes me shake and drool and fart.

I know a guy that spent around 100 grand solarizing his place. A couple of month later, a tornado picked up everything and sent it express air mail to Kansas.

I have a 45watt mono panel with a regulator on my shed, this charges & floats two 12volt deep cycle batteries (100amp hours each) .

The panel will put around 3.5 amps per hour into the batteries with good light.

From those deep cycle batteries I can charge my 18650 cells using a Trustfire TR001 with a 12volt plug and I have some 12volt to usb chargers for phones and charging AA/AAA cells.

I also have a 600watt inverter (110/240V) but it sucks nearly 10amps when under load.

I could add more panels or deep cycle batteries but as always this is at a cost.

I love the ability to also charge your I phone on it absolutely brilliant ..Why not turn that heat into refrigeration too ...you can keep your beer / chardonnay chilled too ..

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/6738#comment-129208

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_stove

No one expects ...the Spanish Inquisition

I got a few of these on there last sale. Getting 10 more come mid next month prolly end of next month
due to amazon being slow lol.

I found out about these while looking at Harbor Freights panels.
There is a forum for HF solar panels lol.
Thats where i found out about the panels.
Going for a total of 30 panels :slight_smile:

It has a fan and I think it has multiple places to feed air from.
That’s pretty much all burning needs to produce hugely less particles and smoke, yet burn more efficiently.

I bought with my apartment a “Nunnauuni” fireplace. It has very basic air input: a) air from below the wood AND b) air to the top of the flames (secondary feed).
I have no measuring equipment but the amount of visible smoke is very small compared to about all the houses in the neighbourhood.
It is also easy to keep very fierce fire in it…

…and about the element changing temp to current…
I recall these were used already in Pioneer space probes back in the days (heat core was nuclear, though, no fireplace :slight_smile: )

I only have 12 TF flames @ 2400 mAh, my only chargers plug into a power outlet and my weakest flashlight is an X2000.
If only the SR King had a ‘moonlight’ function, with 4 18650s this baby would last forever!