Longer throw without changing the driver !! :) Prototype is done and now it's time for testing.. ( more beam shots)

Since the US hasnt brought anyone to the moon since 1972, does that mean that US citizens have become less educated?

Cool contraption daylighter,those lenses look to be from a projection tv.I have pulled some monster lenses from them myself.It's always fun to experiment with stuff like this and many great ideas are born that way.

We realized that going to the moon is like going to a Midget Strip club… You go once to see what the fuss is about, but why the hell would you want to go back?

Speaking from experience are we? :P

lol… agreed :beer:

@Scaru:

I wish there was a midget strip club in my area. I would have went. Once. Just so i could say “yeah I went to the midget stripclub, there wasnt nothin’ there but a bunch of naked midgets…”

Just for the fun of it… i hooked my Trustfire WF 502B to my 70 mm celestron refractor telescope
it’s a perfect fit!! :slight_smile:

here’s the beam shot comparison…
Before

After … check those numbers !! :smiley:

no spill all throw !! :smiley:

but why stop there… this time i connected to my Meade 102mm refractor telescope also a perfect fit!!

but alas… my light meter quit on me hehe… :smiley:

Can I ask how far away from the meter were you? If you retook the measurements at a distance that is a multiple of 1 meter, then we could see how significant that is. (Nice work btw)

they all about 10’ away from the wall

Actually, this light is neither brighter nor a better thrower than before the mod, that’s why the thread is so misleading.
It gives a brighter spot on the wall but is not “throwier” than before.

It gives brighter spot at distance near the focal point of the long EFL lens, that’s it.
Because the lens is focusing parallel beam coming out of a flashlight, it’ll diverge the beam after the focal point.

Because it’s no longer a parallel beam, The OP needs to take it outside & compare the actual throw, i.e. the distance that light can actually reach, actual distance the light can reach vs, before the mod, it’ll be obvious that the throw will be less.

This reminds me the blind man & elephant story, the man on the left insist that the elephant looks like a rope.
He is correct & that’s no argument that the part of the elephant he felt does look like a rope. But nothing could be more wrong to state the elephant is like a rope, the men is limited by his method of experiment and failed to get the whole picture before reaching conclusion.

when people use lux at short distance to compare throw, they are comparing parallel beams to parallel beams, that’s the only time the short distance & long distance lux can be correlated.

when the spot is from non parallel beam such as this one done by using magifier glass, it’ll no longer correlate to throw, the projection distance. The spot on the wall in this case becomes the elephant’s tail.

ok, then, lets get that 502b with and without the refracting telescope outside beamshots, please! I wanna see if hes right, and it doesnt throw as far as the bare 502b. :quest:

Wow this is getting confusing…. I agree Daylighter you did a nice job. Keepin it simple!!

I wonder what this man insists that an elephant looks like?

Well said!! :wink:

He does make a good point, I'll go take a few pictures comparing a light with a fresnel lens and without. I'll be back in a bit.

Also, I'm gonna guess he knows what he is talking about, I mean have you seen his throwers!

Watch your language, I don’t expect a person with potty mouth to know what elephant is by looking at pictures after pictures of it’s tail. However, plenty of people does not need to see the said elephant up close & personal to know it’s not a rope. There is no doubt that spot is much brighter on the wall, it’s the conclusion of more throw that’s being questioned.

Where is Dr. Jones when we need him?

This thread is very interesting.wife not home so I even tried sticking my 501b in my sons telescope but it didnt work. I need beamshots-!

Beamshots are coming. :D

dang … you guys made me go outside in the cold just to satisfy your argument…anyway i’m curious also…
so here’s the shot… still using Trustfire wf 502b, distance to the back wall is about 80’
control shot

before (no hotspot… as Trustfire WF-502b is a flooder)

After ( hotspot!) :slight_smile:

Ok, so preliminary tests on the wall make lit look like the fresnel lens increases throw...

Before

After

So quite impressive to say the least!

Ok, so let's take it outside.

Before

After

That's pretty conclusive! For anyone who thinks otherwise here a mouseover is. Mouse over for before; mouse off for after.

So ma_sha was definitely right!