Longer throw without changing the driver !! :) Prototype is done and now it's time for testing.. ( more beam shots)

Tighter beam doesnt mean more throw.. and with a magnifying glass, you cant increase throw.

If you want to increase throw, dedome your XMLs.

And we know that does increase throw.

In this case? The unmodified would throw better.

You cant really compare that. You can make a tighter beam with a lot of utilities, even by blocking 90% of the light. Would that be a better thrower then?

Yes, but that is not what is happening here.

I am wondering if the difference that yours vs. scaru’s experiment difference could be explained by the choice of flashlight used?

AA, AAA or even 502B has such small reflector, majority of the light escape as spill, there’s hardy any throw to begin with.

Scaru’s light has bigger reflector, which is more likely to project more light into parallel beam, therefore ,
fits into my optical explanation as it assumed starting point is a flashlight with parallel beam, i.e… a thrower to begin with.

If a flashlight fails to project majority of the light into parallel beam, such as AA & AAA lights, or a flooder or a mule w/o reflector, adding a big lens in front to increase “throw” may not give people the ability to use the same technique to improve a thrower into further throw.

I believe that It is improving of a thrower that’s more interesting to most people,
improving a flooder to throw better but not able to improve a real thrower any further is not of real interest to most people, at least not to me.

I would rather see a real thrower, like TN31, K40, or VPT, SR90, SR95, SR95 UT etc. to be put onto this test & let it stretch their legs & go out to over 500 feet.

Actually its not depth that matters but diameter. :P

Yes, more light in the hotspot -> more throw. But size doesnt really matter in that case.

in order to use those light… the bigger the lens is needed…
like i said this experiment is using flooder light and turn it into high end thrower.
beside… if TN31 can throw far already…how far can the eyes see?

You’ll be surprised, this is my 16 million cp moon blaster illuminate a target at 0.9 mile, I can see very well with naked eyes. :bigsmile:

From Flashlight Wiki - ANSI-NEMA FL-1

Peak Beam Intensity

Light intensity in candela (cd) at the brightest part of the beam. A lux reading in the brightest portion of the beam is taken at some distance (2m, 10m, or 30m) with the light on its brightest mode and tightest focus at some time between 30 and 120 seconds of turning the light on. The lux reading is multiplied by the square of the distance in meters to get candela. Regardless of the distance at which the reading is taken, you should end up with the same value in candela, therefore the measurement is independent of distance. A lux reading taken at 1 meter distance is the same as candela (since 1 squared is 1).

Beam Distance

The distance in meters at which the flashlight produces a light intensity of 0.25 lux. This is not very bright, about equal to a full moon. This distance is not actually measured. Instead the value is calculated by taking the peak beam intensity measured above, dividing by 0.25 lux, and taking the square root of the result. For example, the Quark AA has a peak beam intensity of 1,622 cd. Divide this by 0.25 to get 6,488. Now take the square root to get 80.55. This agrees with the value on the packaging, which is rounded to 81 meters.

Also, this video might help

If the light looks brighter to you, then it works for you. That is the real answer, it's just not the scientific answer. Anything that changes the path of or disturbes the path of a beam of light will alter and lessen the intensity of that light, so no optic or reflector makes the led intensity better, it just directs light and some light loss happens when that redirection takes place.

alright then… this is one last picture before i go to bed… the building that i shine is about roughly about 300 feet away if not more
i don’t bother to take before shot as it is irrelevant, as Trustfire WF 502b will never reach the distance over 100’
here’s the beam shot using the Trustfire wf 502B connected to the same Celestron 70mm telescope

hopefully it’ll put the theory to the rest that it can and capable throwing very far with this mod.

You are basically using two things, 1. your mod (single fresnel lense) and 2. telescope.

ALL of your outdoor beamshots are taken with the telescope. That’s NOT the fresnel lense mod, which was what this thread was about in the beginning. The telescope is much more properly designed complex system.

How can you expect people not to be confused when there’s all sort of variations thrown all around?

Simply said ignorance is bliss :bigsmile:

so we all gonna go grab a 500$ telescope to make a 50$ SRK into a monster thrower.

Nobody argued if telescope works or not, it does, but telescope lens does not equal a telescope in the same way the elephant tail does not equal to an elephant.

Telescope use paired lenses to expand or reduce a beam but a parallel beam remains parallel.
If you take just the front lens, it will no longer work as a telescope.

The only way to make a single lens work at increasing throw is to place led at the focal point of the lens, the lens will focus diverging light coming from the led into parallel beam & project a die image on the wall ,i.e. the principle of Aspherical flashlight mod that many have tired before. To fit it into a flashlight, a very short EFL lens is used, i.e. Aspherical lens. Extremely short EFL Fresnel lens would also work which have been shown by others on CPF that it works similar to aspheric lens just 30-40% less efficient.

Using a single long EFL lens (magnifier glass & typical fresnel lens) & place it in front of the flashlight (at a distance not being its EFL) does just the opposite, it focus a parallel beam back to a spot at only a fixed distance, the focal point. it’ll be extremely bright at or near the focal point, but such beam does not illuminate as far as parallel beam, it diverges after the focal point so the beam becomes broader & less intense as the distance increases.

If OP takes an 8 inch EFL lens & place it 8 inch in front of led flashlight, it’ll also work the same way as aspherical flashlight, focusing the spill part (the diverging beam from led that did not hit the reflector) into parallel beam & make it throw, but that’s not a practical mod, its just a unpractical & less efficient way way of making an aspherical flashlight.

Now it makes sense. Thanks!

actually i paid $40 for the telescope adn it doesn’t really work well with multiple LEDs… although it works extremely well with small flashlight such as Trustfire WF-502B

Well, tonight I will go out with what this thread was about originally (a fresnel lens) and do some longer range beamshots.

give it up already… which part that doesn’t makes you happy? first you doubt it if it brighter than it is… so i shown you the picture using the meter on the wall…
second ,you want to see outside picture to see if it can actually throw… and i shown that too.
third, you are forgettting what all this mod in this forum is all about…is all about fun building something out of ordinary flashlight.
wether if it is conventional or not… nor if it practical or not, it really doesn’t matter.
i’m simply trying to show how cool is it to turn some cheap flashlight into some “somewhat monster” thrower
there’s no need to bring that elephant bull crap into the this idea, and you’re talking about telescope as if you have one, if you do… show some picture of it ( telescope, flashlight and banana in the same spot :laughing:
i’m just hoping somebody will takes this idea into consideration and challenge themselves to build it better.
although i found out from scaru post… somebody actually did it already in CPF, even his is not practical… but so what? it’s fun building something.
to bring in the elephant story, it’s like the same as blind leading blind… unless you do the same exactly what i’m doing … using exactly the same equipments…you have no right to bash and rain on others parade.
just take it with a grain of salt… it is simply works!

good experiments Daylighter, I for one wasnt interested in your first experiments with that tube thing, only the telescope one, which I have often wondered about that myself. (ok not so often, but i have wondered) The telescope definitely does increase the throw of your 502b. No math on paper in the world can disprove that.