Looking for 4AA flashlights

4AA vs 3AA? I don't really see why, as far as power (longevity yes, but power no). The only way 4AA would produce more lumens, was if the driver was optimized for 4AA. If the driver was like an 8x7135, the 4th AA would just create more heat. Direct Drive 4AA would cook an XM-L. It works great on some of the higher vf leds like a P7, but not on XM-L. AA eneloops have been proven to take 10 amps and will regularly do 5 amps. If the led is not seeing (let's say 3 amps) off 3AA NiMHs, then it's the driver or some other bottleneck in the light.

Yes? or No?

As far as the square 4AA style, I like it, it has a certain appeal. I would like to see a 4AA round body flashlight (budget), that has a driver optimized for 4AA.

Yeah, I wouldn't want a 4Aa if the driver was just wasting the 4th AA as heat instead of more runtime. The driver would need to be optimized to get more runtime out of the 4th cell. But I do believe the 4th AA would help a lot with trying to run on alkalines, am I right? Isn't this really why the Fenix & Jetbeam & other's with 4AA use them?

-Garry

You guys are over-analyzing this based on your 18650 experience.

You forget that there have been 2, 3,4 and 6 x "D" cell maglites around for a long time, has nothing to do with the 4.2v game.

The Sunwayman M40A XM-L is the brightest (600 lumens) and likely of highest quality 4xAA light available now

The only other light that could beat it is the (planned) Zebralight Q50 which is not released yet.

About the shape personally I don't see anything awkward about it at all - a very common flashlight design. I would say awkward to plenty of toilet plungers around with almost half a meter long battery tube and a clicky at the end!

I know the OP didn't ask for (nor did he want) 3xAA, but another one worthy of consideration might be the planned Zebralight S5310.

That one's supposedly gonna do 750 lumens on high with a programmable L2 mode (0.01 lumens or 0.32 lumens), and it will also have a battery indicator.

Sounds just as good as the Q50 if you ask me!

It's indeed better than Q50

But unfortunately we're talking about non existent lights here which may never be released

The best 4xAA currently available is the Sunwayman M40A

I agree about the M40A being the best out of what's currently available.

If Zebralight decides to let the S5310/Q50 see the light of day, then that would make for some stiff competition.

The Streamlight ProPoly 4xAA is an oldie, but a goodie

The cheapest one one eBay to Australia is $61, but not what I had in mind with the output anyway.

The LD41, has 500 lumen output

I used to own a LED Lenser P14.

Overall it was a superb torch, I got swayed by the Inova T4 so I sold it.

Great build quality and a superb beam.

About 80% perfect.

I would have liked a ‘Pro’ version to be honest.

A regulated supply, Type III Hard Anodised coating and IPX8 Waterproofing would have been great.

And a rechargeable power option would be the icing on the cake.

Even so it represents great value for money and is a formidable performer.

I know OP already has a PA40, but for others it’s a great deal right now per my post: PA40 at $54 USD: Steal of a DEAL!!!

BTW, much above ~350 lumens I don’t think the quest for higher lumens is noticeable for general purpose flashlights (IMO). I have a hard time telling the difference. Now, for “spot lights”, where you want to see far away (shoot a “laser beam” of light), it does make a difference.

I started reading this forum because CPF is offline Uhgain and I’m put off at the thread closing mods there.
I finally signed up because I wanted to comment on the earlier reference to the Fenix 4XAA LD41.

It was worth waiting for. The 500 lumens are real like most Fenix lights. You get all the benifits of the LD40 plus the 500 lumen turbo availability. The color is nice white from the XML-U2 in contrast to the angry greenish tint the XML-T6 led that other Fenix lights like the TK41 and TK60 put out.

Specs:
Output: Turbo: 520L (2h10m), High: 190L (7h30m), Mid 80L (20h), Low: 5L (160h) Strobe 220L, SOS: 80L
Distance: 200m
Intensity: 10000cd

Anyway , I like this light for what it is and even though I am really a 18650 fan I wanted more primary battery options. It is a little larger than what would fit comfortably in your pocket and has enough meat to run at full power as long as the batteries last without a break. It has a nice soft hot spot with plenty of flood too.

I’m shooting from the hip so this is just a suggestion for consideration rather than trying to write a review.

Welcome to the BLF, lwknight !

Welcome to the gang, lwknight!

While many scoff at the lumen output don’t overlook the Fenix E40 for a simple thrower. It will outthrow the LD41 if you are looking for more concentrated output. Nothing fancy about it but not a bad light so far.

I do know that the LD41 is definitely not a throw king and should have mentioned that as well.
It is however no slouch or excessively floody either.

The LD41 is nice but it wasn’t compact enough for my liking. I guess I had hoped that it would be something more pocketable.

That’s not really a fair criticism of the light though, as I knew the dimensions going into it.

I have not seen anything more pocket friendly in 4XAA than the LD4X or the PA40 style.
It seems that the limits for pocket lights are going to be 2AA or cr123.