Looking for a cheap, BRIGHT 18650 flashlight. Suggestions?

Veritable junk. Expect a fake LED, low current, and certainly not comparable to the other lights listed in this thread. The listing may say 1200 lumens but this is false. Probably more like 4-600. You can buy a light for $6 if you wish but it will not meet your “bright” requirement. The Convoy you linked for $9.99 flash sale is probably your best bet if $10 is you limit. It will do the rated lumens. Bump that up to $20 and your options will grow.

I have this same light from FastTech (with the digital desert/sand camo) and can confirm that it’s a disappointment… Nowhere near as bright as advertised, definitely a counterfeit emitter, mine had a horrible blue tint. Also, compared to my other similarly-priced SK98 purchased to use as a host, via eBay, this light had inferior build quality. Also, the finish was disappointing, not nearly as nice as the $1.99 camo SK-68 Gearbest offered a while back.

1700lm
http://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/sl2

Your friends are this easily impressed, huh? :slight_smile:

If you want something that lights up a wide area, but not far, then Convoy S2+ with 8x7135 driver configuration is a good option for $10.
Alternatively, if you want something that lights up a narrower area but can reach very far into the distance (which can be even more impressive :laughing:, then Thorfire VG-10 is nice. You could get them for $10 from Amazon not too long ago… not sure if that deal is still on though.

Keep in mind, you will need a high quality low resistance 18650 battery that can deliver high current to take full advantage of these lights. Also, buy yourself some fire-resistant gloves so that you don’t burn yourself.

Impress? I still say short tube A6 or S1 running IMR. Maybe a S41 with short tube and IMR 18350 if you can find one on the cheap.

Tube lights like the Convoy S2+ and the ThorFire VG15S are probably close to what you are looking for. Both are well made, and both have received good reviews from experts here at BLF. These flashlights are often classed as "general-purpose" lights, combining good flood characteristics with a bit of throw. That is probably what you should be buying for your first powerful LED flashlight. The Astrolux S1 also falls into this category.

If you would like a bit more throw, check out the new Convoy C8 with clear anodization. At present, it is the only C8 in the Convoy product line that uses the Biscotti firmware. Biscotti has a nice variety of modes, giving you the option for whatever brightness level suit you. That means you don't have to opt for only three or four 7135 chips in order to maintain good efficiency. Go ahead and buy the C8 with eight 7135 chips. Here is a link to the BLF thread about the Convoy C8 with Biscotti.

According to this post, Biscotti will soon be available for the Convoy S2+.

The updated ThorFire C8s is also an excellent choice in the "compact thrower" category. Because it uses the Cree XM-L2 emitter, it will not throw as far as the Convoy C8, which uses the Cree XP-L HI emitter. The ThorFire C8s, however, has an excellent driver, and does not use PWM. Here is a link to the review by ReManG.

Unlike the ThorFire models, which only come in "cool white," the Astrolux and Convoy models give you a choice of tints. Here, there is no right or wrong. Tint is all about what appeals to you. The majority of BLF members, however, prefer neutral tints over cool ones. Some even find that warm tints are their favorites.

Cheap and bright?

Zeusray from Dealmetic — search the forum here for more on that. Under$10.

Eagle Eye X6 21$
No pwm
Real 1000 lumens
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_252532.html?

Eagle Eye X2R 14$
No pwm
USB charge
650 Lumens
Dont get hot
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_411562.html?

You really should spend around $20-25 for a decent light. I highly recommend the eagle x6.

GearBest also has a nitenumen ne01 for $21 the new version.

The sk98 should be looked as a host only for 5-6$ you get a $5 light.

The crelant lights GearBest has arnt bad either. Around $25

Another option might be a srk clone. They won’t be the real lumen claim maybe 2k lumens but use 4 18650 cells

If you can solder you can get the host driver and led for about $20-$25.

If you only wanna spend $10 the s2+ is the only real decent option. It may give that wow factor to people who are use to the old 2d rayovac lights. If someone has one of the new led maglites it will put it to shame especially shining out to a tree line. If you can swing $20-25 your options really open up. Walmart even sells 700-1250 lumen lights now. Lowe’s home depot do as well that run off d or 8-9aa. So if your friends have any of those you might getting the wow look yourself.

Flashlight with zoom and high brightnes - no way.
Flashlight with 1000 lumens and small head like S2+ without step down - big WOW factor. Better make good health ensurance.
Do you beleive you will see difference between 700 and 1000 lumens?

Not all the lights are zoom the mahlights are. The bushnell 1250 isn’t zoom from Walmart. Lowe’s utilitech 1000lumen not zoomie.walmart also has a ozark trail 700 lumen light one version a zoomie another version a reflector to compete with coleman lights with a decent sized reflector 6aa. my nitecore ea41 is rated 650 at high 1020 at turbo and yes you can see the increase from there to 1000 lumens. The wow would be from the size. My large reflector lights light more of a area especially downrange at those lumens then my s2 at 1200 and other 1000 lumen tubes I have. The new 3d led maglites will shine a good 250 yards zoomed in with useful light. rated at over 400 yards but you never get useful light that far. Whenever I show my lights off I usually choose a thrower something I can say hey you wanna see what’s up the street? For a flooder its a x6 triple. But most people like the throwers or a combo of both a large beam that’s goes 200-300 yards

Are we still talking about flashlights? :sunglasses:

Convoy L6 is the answer.

For what it’s worth, that grey S2+ for 9.99 is a great little light. I have 2 already and picked up another because at that price I can’t resist.
If you want to carry it every day you should get the pocket clip ($1.99) here ==> http://www.banggood.com/Convoy-S2S2M1C8-Flashlight-Mini-Body-Clip-p-1029484.html?rmmds=category

I’ll warn you now, the S2+ is such a good bargain (low price / high quality) you’ll probably want more than one. I think I’ve bought about 10 of them now. Wife has one, kids, loaned one to a friend etc. etc.

For pocket I use 501B with xp-l v5, it’s size:135.6mm(Length)*23.8mm(Diameter)*30mm(Lamp Head), and only 90 gr, with mode memory, cost 12.5-14 $.

For better throw use KDlight c8 with xp-l hi v3, it is more powerfull from other c8’s and it is 19$.

convoy s2+ in blue with a 4c tint …usually about 13 $ at gearbest …
a s2+ convoy with a cw tint sometimes as low as 10$…gearbest …
any older BLF light that members had a hand in building …
a BLF A6 …or a blf x6 are great lights .
i still keep recommending the convoy s2 with a 5c xml from fastech for about 14$…(great tint)

Thorefire vg10 on sale for 10$ is a nice deal if you can catch one ….
lastly a brynite b153 xpl-hi for about 25$ is a nice easy to buy light …

sk98 is a light someone might like(maybe)?? ,but lots of people would say …avoid it …

on another thread i posted this:
I love my lumintop TD16. Dual switch, awesome quality and BRIGHT!
gearbest:
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_261758.html?wid=21

with coupon code TD16GB it is $34.

Really cheap:
I bought one of these because for $12 it was worth a try:

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_604347.html (link is external)

It’s running an XM-L2 and seems to be about 1000-1100 lumens. single button short press comes on in High, hold down after on and it dims gradually then enters strobe. Built in USB charging. comes in a cheesy “waterproof” generic plastic case with an ultrafire “3000 mAh” battery and usb cord. Toss the battery and replace with a Sanyo NCR18650 GA or B and you have an awesome little well built EDC pocket clip light.

I compared to a Nitecore MH20 and the clone of it, the Nitenumen NE01. This little cheapo is brighter than either name brand light.

Convoy S2+, 8x7135. Period.

EDIT: With Biscotti or Bistro, whichever you prefer.

Eagle Eye in warmer tin for less:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/X6-u2-portable-flashlight-iii-18650-hornier-flashlight/1735126_32211884353.html
got one, and wanted to mod it, but just ike it too much so keep it stock.

Convoy C8. Right at or under $20.00, right at 1000lm, well made, bright enough to satisfy, easy to carry, programmable right out of the bocs.(sp) ;-)