Looking for a flashlight to use in the backyard - Slug search and destroy

maybe slugs or slug-slime glows under UV ?? just wondering… lol…

Think you could flash firmware? Ever try it before? There are a couple firmwares that support a separate low voltage led indicator. ToyKeeper’s Ferrero rocher FW and I believe a FW by Tom E. Though I haven’t looked at them to see how easy it would be to convert to only a couple simple modes.

The Eagle Eyes X6R would be a good light to mod. The charging circuit is on a separate board (I believe I’ve seen someone already do a driver replacement on it). Has a tail clicky + side switch to allow separate on/off and mode switching.

Perhaps it would even be good enough as is / without modding?

spread enuff rock salt, you’ll soon locate them with amplified earphones by their screaming

I just ordered the Nitecore MH20NW which satisfies some of your requirements
and Andrew & Amanda has the Nitecore EC4SW for $73 as their daily deal today only
either of these should provide the color rendition to pick out the slime monsters

Olight mini intimidator ii

BAM! Hits all criteria!

Did some googling, looks like only the blood from slugs glow. Not visible through its body.

That looks too complicated for me to mod, having to change the driver with a custom one that I’d have to solder all the components to. I’d need to start with an easy mod first and work my way up.
I do like the dual switch thing though.

Can’t be using salt as it is bad for the soil and plants, which is what my mum is trying to stop the slugs getting to.

That looks like a very nice flashlight, however I am worried about the UI. It is very important to be easy to use without accidental mode switching.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far.

I think the Eagle Eye X6R might do. Not too many stores stock it still though. Fasttech have it listed as 350lm, a mistake?
Aliexpress link. I think that looks about right, any fakes out there?

I did find a Sunwayman G25C on Banggood that can be discounted with a coupon. It’s more compact than the X6R and might flood more. I wonder what the thermal dissipation is like?

I really do like the dual button setups. One of the two flashlights I listed above may be suitable, even if they lack runtime and some lumens. If there are any flashlights like those two in 26650 form I think will be perfect.

Have you thought about the Olight S30R Baton II ?.

You can make any flashlight more floody by adding dc fix diffusion film to the lens.

Banggood also has the Eagle Eyes X6R but it’s at a higher price than your Aliexpress link.

After looking into it more I’m not so sure if it’s simple enough unmodified. To recharge, unfortunately you can’t simply plug it in. Instead the tail clicky must be on, and you must double click the side button before it will begin to charge. link :weary: I guess, at least, the charging indicator might help remind you that it doesn’t start charging simply by plugging it in. They really should have simplified it imo. Double clicking the side button should not be necessary.

I’m leaning more to the Sunwayman G25C now. The X6R at Banggood is out of stock. The complications with the charging in the X6R make it too hard to use anyway.
The most important thing I’m going for here is ease of use both on UI mode changing and recharging. Runtime needs to be decent. If 2 hours is not doable, then 1 hour may be enough to get through one night of slug hunting.
I there a flashlight similar to the G25C but able to use a 26650?

EDIT: Woops, just realised there is no charging in the G25C. Scrap that idea then…

How about the Olight S2……
Floody- xml2 led & TIR lens provide a wide large even hotspot
Very bright (1000+ lumens)- 950 lumens cold white feel much brighter than 1000 lumens NW or WW
Good runtime on high mode (2 hours)- 950 stepdown to 500 lumens run for about 145~150 mins
Rechargeable (USB or other connector) - no :frowning:
Easy to use UI - simple UI, no learning curve
Low voltage indicator - a red low battery indicator behind the switch
Not too expensive - I order mine from aliexpress, paid only $28 + $2 upgarde shipping cost (take about 14 days)
BTW, I also own both MH20W & EC4SW….
MH20W- more like mid range thrower, small hotspot is way too bright for close range use. built-in micro usb charger but no Low voltage indicator.
EC4SW- one of my favor, MT-G2 led very nice soft NW Floody beam, very good two switch UI. but no built-in charger & low battery indicator.

I looked closer at the Olight SRmini Intimidator II. It actually has a pretty good UI for a single button. I wonder if it requires Olight batteries to be able to recharge though, like most of the other rechargeable flashlights from Olight.

Would a cradle charger, such what the Olight S30R II uses, offer the easiest charging? There would be no messing with cables at all. Don't some of the cop lights use a cradle? They might have simple/single mode options as well.

Beer traps work well: Garden Myths but that may take the fun out of the hunting. I’m a lazy gardener though so I always take the easiest approach that works :smiley: Just be thankful if you don’t have Japanese Beetles. The only effective control for them is manual capture done daily which is to much work for me.

Phil

Getting rid of snails can be done much easier and while enjoying it as well.
First you buy some nice beers with bottle fermentation.
Then have some plastic thingies as described below ready.

When darkness sets in:
You prepare your beer, leaving half an inch of beer in the bottle while pouring gently.
Just relax and enjoy the flavors.

Then pour the remaining beer gently in a 2l soda bottle you have cut in half.
Put a splash of water and stir/shake till all the yeast is in the water and add that gently to the half soda bottle.

Find a plastic bigger plantpot most plants are sold in and cut three arches so that when it is placed over the beer trap it is in the shade and snails can get to it from all directions.

Place strategically and next morning find drowned snails and a bunch on the inside of the roof.

This should work with a water sugar baking yeast mix as well, but who would not want to enjoy a nice beer as an excuse for protecting plants?

(BTW the water/sugar/yeast mixture in the half bottle with the cut off top placed back up side down as funnel makes an excellent (fruit)fly / mosquito trap
And make a bunch now when it gets warmer and use lemonade kefir grains and a splash of wine (to repell (bumble)bees) to catch wasp and hornet queens coming put of hibernation hungry. We caught 1 Asian hornet and 1 European hornet Queen and I only checked 5 of the 25 traps we placed around here.
Both were floating with there backside up while normal hornets float with that part down, this is because to fertilised eggs so we have at least two nests and hundreds of hornets less this summer.
Also place the water/sugar/yeast trap in the bedroom and make it as dark as possible to catch mosquitos during the day.

All lot of pesky animals have evolved to go after CO2 because usually there is either a mammel or rotting fruit producing it.
The yeast ferments the sugar into alcohol and CO2 that is why these traps are so succesfull.
And for snails, no idea why they like beer so much they drown themselves in it, but man o man with a death that is drowning drunk in beer I do not even feel bad for them :wink:

The SRMINI II have 1S3P configuration, does not require Olight batteries to recharge, simply they will be button top. It works, in emergency situation, with only 1 battery
I use NCR18650B button top from FT
NCR18650GA does not work

Awww. That’s no fun at all for Mum!! Messy, Squishy, Stinky, and the alcohol in the beer is toxic.

Why not get her involved in the 21st Century with a Slug-Slicing LASER

Run, slugs, run!

:partying_face:

We were almost overrun with Japanese Beetles eating our one White Birch tree (we got it in memoriam of an albino ferret named “Birch”, so it was important).

The Answer we found: Beneficial Nematodes!

The little critters hunt down the JB grubs and feast on them! Yippeee!

They do the same to slugs. Awesome little critters!! Nature can be your Friend!

Leave the Star Wars solution to YouTubers. The wee worms did us a Great Service!

EDIT: Since you’re in Australia, these people may be helpful:
https://www.csu.edu.au/plantpathologygygroup/research/past-projects/biological-control-and-invertebrate-pathology/biological-control-of-pest-snails-in-australia-using-native-nematodes

EDIT again: You may find this informative PDF useful as well:
https://grdc.com.au/~/media/Documents/Resources/Publications/Fact-sheets/GRDCFSSlug-control-2013High-respdf.pdf

Thanks Dimbo, but regarding lasers pointers, anything above 1 mW is illegal in Australia. Yes, even 5 mW. I’d need to obtain a permit to be able to get one, but I won’t be able to for what I’m using them for.

I have seen the beer method while googling ways to deal with slugs. I pitched that to my mum along with using copper tape along her garden bed walls, but she would prefer to just go out at night and chuck all the slugs she can find into a container and pour boiling water over them. Maybe she just enjoys killing slugs by her own hand haha.

If she wants to REALLY torture the slugs - LYE makes a mess of them! Salt ain’t nuthin’ compared to a little lye powder sprinkled on. :smiling_imp:

boiling water? maybe she is preparing escargot but don’t want to share with you? :slight_smile:

Another possibility:

• ~1000 lumens
  • Red warning low-battery indicator
  • Micro-USB rechargeable
  • Floody
  • Tail switch: on-and-off
  • Side switch: High-Medium-Low-Strobe-SOS
  • Mode memory: Unknown Flashlight always turns on starting in High mode, cycling through High-Medium-Low-Strobe-SOS, in that order.
  • Run time: Manufacturer claims 2 hours (but 1 hr. to 1-1/2 hrs. on High is more likely)
  • Under $25

If it does have mode memory, that would help avoid cycling through the Strobe and SOS modes. After setting the preferred mode, just use the tail switch to turn the flashlight on and off. Other Supfires such as the L6 having dual-switch set-ups and 5-mode UI have mode memory. Hopefully, the A2 does, too.

This flashlight was recently released. No reviews out, yet.