Looking for a floody, long running flashlight

Hi everyone! Maybe someone will be able to help me - I’m looking for a flashlight that is:

• More “floody” than “beamy” (I really hate those flashlight hotspots)
  • Palm size or a bit bigger - I tend to lose those finger sized lights
  • 2x AA probably, 3x AA is also ok (let’s say for situations where you have no luxury of charging)
  • Main focus - efficiency, i.e. running time > brightness (that’s why I mentioned 3x AA - for more running time)
  • Prefferably waterproof (IPX 6 or more) or at least water resistant
  • Not too expensive, if possible (Aliexpress or other Chinese stores / models would be ok)

Any suggestions would be very welcome, thanks in advance!

Welcome.

What have you found so far?
Any light that your interested it?

Do you afraid li-ions? Can find another reasons for AAs (specially in focus of runtime) nowadays.
2xAA is not common form-factor. Long thin tube is not comfortable to carry in pocket or small bag.
One flashlight uses two side-to-side AAs. Nitecore MT22A.
Some bigger chinese lights (with 26650 or bigger tube) go with 3xAA adapter. But you get big host with tiny cell capacity, also most this ligths are more throwy (Convoy X3 and clones).
Also, there are several can-style lights with 4xAAs like ThorFire TK4A. You can check several great BLF reviews.
And the last, most expensive option - Nitecore EA4X series.
Anyway, even 4xAA cells will have same capacity as 1x18650.

A Convoy S2+ with a OP reflector and a bistro driver. Will run pretty long on a high capacity 18650. I use LG MJ1’s, PannyB’s will be good too. A even more amount of run time can be had from the Convoy BD06, it has a smooth reflector for throw but he may be able to put a OP one in there for you or you can put a piece of DC-Fix on the lens that does well at making a nice floody beam. Both can be had at the Convoy storefront on AliExpress.

The Sofirn SF36 could get ya happy as well. Thorfire makes a light that is similar called the VG10S that is just as nice.

Illumn.com has the Jetbeam Jet-IIIM PRO on close out for $35 I think.

If you can afford a ZberaLight they make some great lights

Emisar D4 or D4S will give you much enjoyment as well.

That’s the main problem - I can’t find decent comparison tests… Clicking on hundreds of reviews may take quite some time and it’s even harder to find if a flashlight has a good flood lighting… Somehow nowadays most flashlights are focused on “beamy” ones, not “floody” and even those, who have zooming, also have a very annoying hotspots.

How about the Nitecore EA42 or the Jetbeam PA40?

There’s also the LedLenser P14.2 !

If you try the Emisar D4S, there is no way back…. :wink:

Would Zanflare F2 be floody enough for you?

Olight S2A, 2xAA, TIR optics for wide beam.

+1 Splurge a little and get it with the HDs for even more lumens and less hotspot. Only one battery to charge, fantastic user interface, runtime in moonlight in weeks or months with the aux leds and 5100 Lumens on tap.

+1 & +1

-D4S XP-L HD V6

The best beam I have ever had on a flashlight….and then everything else awesome on top of that. -

OOPS - missed the AA requirement - suggest Sofirn SF11
4xAA
1100lm

This is a good, economical choice and fits with your 2xAA request.

First of all - thank you very much, your help is immensely appreciated, you’ve saved me hours. I took some time to watch the reviews of the mentioned models and now the summary:

• Convoy S2+ - nice form factor, good flood, but not really AA
  • Convoy BD06 - again, nice, but not AA and flood lighting is poor
  • Sofirn SF36 - same
  • VG10S - same
  • Jet-IIIM PRO - almost perfect, but way too pricey
  • ZebraLight - sadly too pricey
  • ThorFire TK4A - not floody enough, rather pricey, but let’s say it’s a compromise
  • Nitecore EA42 - it seems you also see the center hotspot quite clearly, but again it’s a compromise
  • Jetbeam PA40 - same
  • Convoy X3 - not floody enough
  • LedLenser P14.2 - I’m in love… yet the price is more than scary
  • Emisar D4S - quite nice, not sure if it would work with AA adapter
  • Zanflare F2 - very poor flood
  • Olight S2A - winner so far :slight_smile:
  • Sofirn SF11 - ummm… the hotspot is way too clearly seen

I was wondering… Ummm let’s say we take a good, bright flashlight and change the lens (if there’s an option to do that) - maybe it would be way easier to get rid of the hotspot than search for a factory “floody” flashlight?

Or…

ThruNite Archer 2A V3 (2x AA). $30 on Amazon. #1 pick by Wirecutter reviews

Choice of neutral white or cool white tint