Looking for Budget Bluetooth Closed Over-Ear Headphones

Is the Soundcore Q10 not good enough?

(Just curious.)

I’d like something with ANC, which will come in handy when used on planes.

I have active noise canceling on my headset which I use on planes, it is well worth the price difference.

I am also looking for ANC wireless Bluetooth headsets but which can pair at least 2 devices at the same time.

I got the Q20. Much better bass on these, both when connected via BT as well as via cable. Treble is a bit more recessed compared to Mpow H12, but I actually prefer that kind of sound signature, so I think I will keep the Q20 and send H12 back.

ANC is comparable between the two.

@Raccoon City, according to the diagrams in owner manual, ear pads are removable on the Q20; but I don’t know if they’re compatible with Brainwavs pads specifically. Did you get your TaoTronics yet?

According to this review on Amazon, the Q20's ear pads are glued to the frame:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R29V12N65DS4H3

Even if the pads come off easily, I did some searches for replacement pads and came up empty.

I should be getting my TaoTronics by 8pm today (Wednesday).

I got a refurbished AKG Y50BT for $25 from a local retailer. The sound quality is excellent.
Also available on eBay.

Sounds like a good deal!

I'd check it out if it weren't on-ear.

Yeah, I took a closer look at mine, and it does appear that they’re glued. Sorry.

I received these items today.

I think I'm going to return both.

The headphones have many problems.

The maximum volume is not high enough.

The overall sound quality isn't that great.

When the media volume is low, it sounds downright awful.

There isn't enough bass.

And I'm not sure if I can remove the ear pads.

I just ordered these headphones...

Avantree Audition Pro:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A0EAYDI

And this Bluetooth transmitter...

Avantree Priva III:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5KKUR0

The Avantree Priva III Bluetooth transmitter is really good for one or two pairs of Avantree Audition Pro headphones, in case I want to get another pair.

Eventually, we'll see if I'm happy with these upgrades.

No matter what set of headphone you go with test it with a virtual haircut test.

I’m about to buy this pair.

Does it sound just as bad when connected via headphone cable? I know that doesn’t solve the BT sound quality issue, but I’m just curious if this headphone behaves similarly to many others where it sounds much better via cable. When you go via cable, you are using an external DAC built into your source device (laptop, phone, DAP, etc.). When you go via BT, you are using the headphone’s internal DAC. If that DAC is crappy, you’ll get crappy sound.

Keep us posted on how you like them. It’s nice that they support aptX.

The more I listen to the Q20, the more I feel like the bass is just a tad bit overblown and the top end lacks a bit of clarity. I am sort of nitpicking here, but there is some room for improvement.

Here's a review of a similar model:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/blitzwolf-bw-hp1.23500/reviews

Looks like the similar model has plenty of bass, but of course, it's not perfect.

I didn't use it with a headphone cable.

I tried it with Bluetooth, and decided it wasn't good enough for me, and put it back in the box so that it's ready to return.

I will definitely report on how I like the headphones I ordered yesterday.

They have a "bass boost" button, which is one reason I went for the more expensive Pro compared to the non-Pro.

By the way, if anyone is looking for Bluetooth headphones, I found the OP of this thread on head-fi.org to be very helpful:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/huge-comparison-of-almost-all-the-best-bluetooth-headphones-post-your-own-comparisons-here.746519/

The biggest problem is that prices for different headphones are not listed, and many of the headphones are pricey, so you have to do your research.

The other day I bought this Paww Wavesound (Aptx Low Latency is one of the features I want). Save your money, these are going back. They make a little more bass than my (very neutral) Sennheiser HD600, but not much more. Worst thing is the treble… it’s very tinny, loud, and artificial. Hooking them up wired helps somewhat but not enough to cease offending my ears.

I looked at that Avantree Audition Pro before getting the Paww, but the Avantree’s ear cups sounded like they might be too small. Even though there’s a comment saying the cups can be replaced with something larger, I hesitated to buy something that could immediately need an upgrade. But if they turn out to be good for you, RC, I might try them too.

Yes, the ear pads should be replaceable with Brainwavz ovals.

I have an extra pair of sheepskin ovals all ready to put on the headphones.

Brainwavz sheepskin is kinda expensive, but it's what I prefer, and it goes on sale a few times a year.

(I've only ever bought it when it was on sale.)

Well, now I feel like an idiot for recommending the OP of that thread.

The original poster hasn't posted anything on head-fi since the middle of 2016, so the advice in the original post is at least three and a half years old!

It might be good advice, but it's dated.

I'm sure Bluetooth headphones have come a long way in that time.

Someday I might skim the whole thread, but it's a big thread and a daunting task to skim it all.

After arranging the return of the Paww cans, I thought to myself: why should I keep trying to save a few bucks on cheap plastic BT headphones that may or may not sound good enough or last long? So after a bunch of reading and comparing, I shelled out for a B&O H7 . Metal headband, real leather, replaceable battery… if these don’t sound good to me, probably it’s time for me to give up on BT listening. You know, as much as we’re willing to spend on ourselves for really good lights, aren’t we worth really good sound also?

Now I can hardly wait ’til they show up! :partying_face: