Looking for extreme flood from P60 sized light

Excellent!! I second that recommendation

I had a friend send me one of the convex lenses, got it yesterday. Be aware that Solarforce apparently anodized the body of this lens, so it’s difficult to get ground when assembling the light. Sand off the outside bead blasted finish and it’s easy to make the light work…leave it nice and pretty, not so much.

I put it on a UV drop-in in an L2P.

I have about 7 Solarforce L2Ps. XM-L T6, XM-L2 T6, XM-L2 U2, and XM-L2 U3. one has a 2A driver, the rest are 2.8 or 3.05A. (Newly registered user, but I’ve been lurking around here for about 3 years now. )

The XM-L2 U3 / 3.05A L2P is one of my most favorite lights, and I carry it with me pretty much everywhere. I will have that tucked away in my hiking pack in case I need to see anything further away than what this light would throw.

The convex lens looks intriguing, but so does the 3x XP-G2. The convex is definitely the cheaper way to go, But 8’ of spread at 7’ sounds more narrow than the XP-G2 drop-in. UGH, decisions decision. I’ll probably end up buying both eventually. Now its just a question of which to get first.

Welcome to the true path of the flashaholic. That way works on all the forums I post in!!

Yeah, I have already passed every step.

Step 1) Search for the best lights on a budget.

Step 2) Find recommendations. Research another 3 months to make sure that $5.00 light is worth it… because it is a LOT of money.

Step 3) Decide it is worth it. Order 35. Begin researching next light.

Step 4) Repeat.

I’ve got about 20 various 1x 18650s, about 20 1x 14500s, A DRY, an HID light, about 6 dead maglites waiting for a build, about 10 flashlights that I have collected along the way. (in the process of moving cross-country, so its mostly packed.)

The SolarForce lens/XM-L2 in a P60 is probably the easiest/most cost effective solution.

If you’re so inclined you could build a triple XP-G2 and experiment with all the Carlco lenses, this is the first one I made. I’ve made 6 more since then and refined the process.

Or you could do something like this if you wanted an XM-L based TIR light. Again, it allows you to swap optics as easy as removing the head, pill does not need to come out.

Simply make a mule out of one of the XM-L2 drop-ins. Remove the reflector and make a spacer to fill the gap. Bingo! Pure flood, no rings or artifacts. :slight_smile:

+1. Best cheapest option. Use the reflector as the spacer and just ream it out.

I have a sportac triple XPG-2 and it is super floody… and BRIGHT. Amazingly bright and well made for a <$40 drop in. Buy it, you can’t go wrong.

I’ve been running the Sportac triple XP-G2 drop-in for about a month now, and it definitely was not the wrong choice. I absolutely love it. However… I am noticing the Solarforce L2P body I have it in is hindering the flood pattern. I know the “Tactical” ring is blocking the light a bit, which I can change, but it looks like the entire head is recessed enough to be blocking the light.

Any suggestions on a body that wouldn’t block it as much?

solarforce bezel flat - Google Search may help

Yeah I already looked at those. It would help a bit, but the head itself on the L2P is pretty deep. Hence my post.

You could try an Ultrafire 501B . ( Or a 501A so you could use an IMR 18350 . )

File down the bezel . ( I could have filed this one down quite a bit more . )

Hmm… Ironically I hadn’t thought about just filing it down. I have a few 501Bs.

MT-G2 with 2 x 18350 is nice and floody but you get more power available from a single 18650 into a triple XP.

Use the flat bezel—Also you can take the bezel lens and gasket out—put the drop in after the head is already on—you will have to use that spacer that came with the drop in—if you think this is doing what you are after—I dremel out the shoulder the lens sits on—this allows the drop in to come all the way to the bezel—keep in mind you have to make a custom spacer on the inside to push the drop in forward

Sportac has in between a carclo 507 and 511 as their stock optic—try changing the optic to a 511 it’s more floody—my favorite—also if you are capable change out the driver in your Sportac—Eagltac runs them really light—you can get a 4.4amp driver and wake that drop in up—The ones I posted before are fet driven—one is a triple XP-L pulling 9.5amps on high but has 5 modes for all occasions —it still makes me go Oh Sh——t on high

I don't actually use a file .

I use a sanding disc chucked into a drill .

I rotate the tube frequently to keep things squared up .

Triple XP-L in a P60 size body? I’m quite interested.

Are you wanting to mod something or one ready to go