Looking For First 18650 Light... I Need Some Help

First post here I have done some lurking in the past and finally need some help.

A little over a year ago I purchased a Trustfire R5-A3 (http://www.buyincoins.com/item/1717.html), a protected AW 14500, and a xtar wp2 II charger.

A couple of months ago I tripped the AW and its voltage is too low to safely use again. The light won’t run a AA anymore.

So I have decided to upgrade to a 18650 light, I really want to keep it small though as it will be carried everyday in my left cargo pocket and don’t want to get beat in the leg everyday.

I am liking this light http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002364/1311500-convoy-s4-cree-xm-l-u2-1b-950-lumen-2-group-35-mod

But I can’t run it as it won’t take protected AW 18650 cells. It seems to be the consensus that these are safest which is uber important to me (I always check voltage before and after charging, but just like to know the quality is there).

My criteria for my light is as follows…

NEEDS-

As small as can go
mode memory or start on high
something bright that will make me go DANG! after running my R5-A3 with 14500
I really need to keep it under $30 unless there is something that really strikes me
has to fit the AW 18650 cell

WANTS-

I’d like to discern color better than my R5-A3 (not that it’s terrible)
recessed tailcap clicky
I’m open to beam patterns, but like the idea of really reaching out there a lot more than the R5-A3
stylish

Please help me kick the Tank007 E09 off my keychain!

If you see any information that I wrote is incorrect or newbish please let me know 8)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Convoy-S8-Cree-XM-L-U2-1B-AMC7135-3-2-Group-3-5-Mode/1220354911.html

Buy this with a XM-L2 T6 4C + 8*AMC7135 driver and you will be happy :wink:
The price won’t go up because its an offer.

I have exacly this light - fantastic.
One of my favourites (of over 40 Lights).
The S8 is a light for middle-distance. The beam is a bit floody but has enough throw (for me).
If you want a light with a bit more throw: https://www.fasttech.com/p/1308701
If you want even more throw: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Convoy-L4-Cree-XM-L2-U2-1A-side-switch-LED-Tactical-Flashlight/1240920792.html (i would choose the 4C binning, too)

On this size you can’t have a big reflector but with 8*7135 you can throw quite far (but less than a light with big reflector and 8*7135). Stick on a T6-4C, could seem a little yellow when compared to a A1 tint but definitely better CRI.
I have a convoy S2 and the finish is lovely. Tried a protected ultrafire that came with a romisen on DX, and it work but the light flicker so I think the protection pcb can’t take the 2.8A.

totilde - Thanks for the response, after I had reset it the voltage was at 2.6ish I should be leery right? And can you run an AW cell in that s5? I hope so because it looks sweet and fits the bill it looks light.

L4M4 - That looks cool how would it compare to an S5. Layman’s terms only 8). I see its longer, so it throws farther?

Wow its hard to follow what you guys are saying. I keep having to look up stuff. I might end up with the S8 because I barely know these fancy lights and its everything I need I think 8)

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1195013

S2 is one of the cheapest convoys but lots and lots of people think it may be the best of the 4 or 5 in that style It definatelyone of the few that takes the longer protected batteries .

At 16$ it's twice the light the trustfire is...at about the same price you paid for the r5-a3.

I was afraid the 5c tint would be too warm but I love it... I want to be tint snob purist and hate it, but I can't . I have 3 of them and they get picked up as much or more than any light I own . Seems the cri is higher or all the colors that need corrected are sufficiently popping .It is definately one of the easiest lights to reccommend to anyone.

buy it

I keep seeing mentioned in threads that the Convoy S4 won’t fit protected batteries. I built one about six months ago that I have been putting through my EDC rotation. I have two AW Protected 3100mAh 18650s that fit fine.

This past Christmas I purchased two more S4s from FastTech, put one together for a friend and again, a new AW Protected 3100mAh 18650 fits fine, haven’t built the second one yet.

I used a KD V2 drive in mine and a Q-Lite for my friend. The batteries have been purchased from Lighthound. When installed they sit just flush with the body but the tail-cap fits fine and no significant deformation on the - end of the battery.
If it makes a difference the AWs are flat topped.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

What about the Roche f12? Fits my protected AWs just fine and its super bright. It has quickly become my new edc.

I have the Roche F12 and Convoy S2.
Quality on both are just awesome considering the price but F12 is little lighter than the S2. It could be a pro for the weight but could be a con as it means that the body is thinner (and it is just a little). I prefer the S2 but maybe it’s because I managed to fit a DrJones custom driver in it (while I can’t remove the driver of the F12 yet).

Even cheaper here: http://www.banggood.com/Roche-F12-CREE-XM-L-T6-950lm-5-Modes-Mini-LED-Flashlight-1x18650-p-907389.html. Im thinking of ordering a second one myself.

I too was looking at switching to 18650 batteries and a first light for me to build after hanging a fenix pd30 Q5. after much discussion and reading I went with this—- almost the same size as pd30 which I carried … today I had it in pocket all day. it only took 5 days to ship and without batteries
was under $20.

Compact 18650 side switch w/magnet & clip
$12 at present. Very pleased with mine & mod-able.

This:

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020108

Or This (Use BLF Code Discount)

GREAT…………I was going to cut back on buying this year but I just ordered the Roche f12.

I have come to love the Solarforce L2m. This light body comes apart. It can run on 1 18650 or 2 cr123s. Take out one section and it can run on 1 cr123 or one 14500 or if you buy the low voltage drop in it can run on 1 AA.
Now add one extension to the way it comes shipped and you can run 3 cr 123s, or with low voltage drop in run 2 AAs.
If you add the large extension to the host as shipped, you xan run 2 18650s.
As you can see here we have covered 4 battery sizes with many power options. 1,2,3 cells. What ever you happen to have at the time!
The host is $11, the dropins are $13. The extensions are just a few dollars. Www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com

There is conflict between size, total output and throw. XM-L/XM-L2 tend to give more total output but less throw than smaller leds. It is impossible to focus a large led into a tight beam with a narrow optical device. You should be able to get more than one light within the $30 budget and see what you like best.
I just got a TangsFire C8 discussed on another thread. It is beautifully made and probably can’t be beat for a big heavy fixed focus light.
My most useful light is a Sipik SK73 zoomy. It is small and light for its battery and led size, but won’t take protected cells. There are various other lights of the same type but different brands that do take protected cells. So those are my main recommendation.
For a very small and light 18650, I have discovered the AKOray AK-12. It is only 3 mm. thicker than its 18650 cell! Its output is not great, but it is worth having to hold a spare battery in style, if for nothing else, and if you want run time without much space and weight. It seems to be an old design, probably no longer made and hard to find.

My brother carries one of these as a EDC and has been for over a year. I modded it with a 2800ma amc7135 and added one extra amc7135, and a xml T6.
He likes the small format, for light weight and the longer run time of the 18650. He use to carry a Akoray K-106, but likes the run time of the AK-12 and the extra lumens with lower modes if needed. Decent light weight pocket carry flashlight, no clip. The pill is a little hard to get out, easy enough with long slender needle nose pliers.
Still easy enough to find available.

Thanks for the link , Boaz .

Just bought my first light for the year . I just hope the Fasttech clip fits .

I have been wondering how to get the pill out. I just ordered a second one, so maybe I will put a good driver into one of them. But I still can’t see how to get it out. I don’t see any threads or twist holes, so it looks like one just pushes on the window (lens)? It must get very hot in front if you run it for long on high with that driver.

the pill is threaded on the outside and screws into the head. you place the o-ring, lens then reflector in the head through the tail end of the head then screw in the pill. I used my fingers first then some needle nose pliers opened up to contact the edges of the pill to screw it in.