looking for first 4 x 18650

I’m looking for a powerfull fun light. Something beyond edc. I already have 18650s and 4 is an even number.

I have a preference for floody and efficient lights.
Perhaps I should get a 5, 6 or 7 XML2 with decent heatsinking?
Do they make those in Neutral white?

I can solder but I want to operate the light without oven mitts.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&product_id=250

^ That or a SkyRay King.
Super fun, super bright, super hot lights.

You could check out the Solarstorm SP03. Seems not to run as hot as a M6 or King

MT-G2. Cant comment on other brands using that emitter as I have not used one, but the Solarforce s2200 will not disappoint. Very floody, reasonable throw for a floody light, its $140 + postage though. Nice tint. Good heat management in a substantial light, hefty in the hand. Not easily pocketable, but a coat pocket would hold it. It is an attractive flashlight too. This thing barely gets warm, and i live in the tropics. It only holds 3 18650’s though.

I think the TN35 uses the same emitter. Not sure what else does.

Oh, theres the Old Lumens online build thread of a light that will be modded with the MT-G2… the light is the Small Sun ZY-T08 …this thread is the start of the process, the tear down, the mod threads will follow. No idea how well it will handle heat. I also am not aware of its number of batteries.

Regardless, something with an MT-G2 will do you nicely. Awesome floody emitter.

You didn’t mention budget.

The Supfire M6 from mtnelectronics is respectable without mods. Richard can mod mild or wild. $40-$90

Fenix TK75 has a great reputation, and justifiably so. Pretty intense hotspot and great throw with tons of usable flood/spill. New XM-L2 version (2900 lumens) or the old XM-l (2600) $140-$200.

My budget is about $50. I cant justify more for a non edc.

A while ago I asked the forum if the dqg18650ii was floody and was told quite floody. I was dissapointed when it arrived and it was Not floody at least not for an edc. I ordered 20mm optics from fastech to fix it, but original optic is 21.9mm so i might need silicone. Mtg2 is 6v so not an xml2 swap. I dont want to by another light and wish it was different.

Skyrayking looks kinda cool but the Supfire m6 look kinda ugly.

I don’t want to mod for direct drive to double the heat output and risk bezel burns for 10% more throw lol.

More leds should have lower Vf at the same total current; but if the driver is linear will that negate all the efficiency difference?

I hate strobe.

I usually buy neutral tint.

Are laptop pull cells good enough? I was thinking of getting an unused ebay
Pack.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&product_id=250

+1 and I would go for at least the first mod to get the nice modes. This light is compact, and it feels balanced in the hand. It’s higher quality than (my) Sky Ray King style lights - the bezel is stainless steel and the positive contact ring on the driver is a piece of solid metal rather than just the exposed foil from the pcb.

Or, for more flood, one of the 4,5,7+ emitter lights might be fun. I’ve been looking at this: http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022138

ah a fellow CT resident :slight_smile:

i would reccomend a skyray king or supfire m6

stock they can be had for $25-$40

other members have posted links to mountain electronics website - richard offeres modified versions for around $50-80 that will crank out 5000 lumens, but you will need special high drain 18650

edit: if you are anywhere near the Danbury area you are welcome to see my collection of lights :slight_smile: i have the modded sky ray king from mtn electronics