looking for high capacity AAs

See this thread on the Turnigy 2400mAh LSD's from Hobby King. 3 of Mine tested (first cycle) at over the rated 2,400mAh.

-Garry

Don't buy the Sanyo 2700. Maybe they can provide the rated capacity when they're brand new and off the charger, but... They're just not worth it. If you don't need rechargeable batteries, then get Energizer Lithium batteries.

Those LSD look nice, but 4 bucks apiece, a good general battery alternative?

$4 each? Which ones?

-Garry

looking to replace my ageing eneloops 2000mAh would like somthing with a bit more capacity LSD not to important as i tend to top up the charge every week they are for use in my 2D Mag with my terralux drop-in using 6 x AA to 2D adaptor

Just go with the Eneloop XX. You might think it's expensive, but it's not as expensive as buying bad cells, learning why that was a bad decision, and then buying the expensive cells. Don't give in to false economy.

Buy the rechargable D's if you're after run time and charge them all the time .

If it’s for use in a D cell MagLite, then I’d tend to agree that spending the money on some quality high capacity NiMh D-cells would be worthwhile.

A cheaper option would be to look for some 3AA to D cell converters as this would increase your mAh by 1/3rd.

I’ve been very pleased with Powerex Imedion, and a friend who bought Eneloop XX also speaks very highly of them. They appear to be about equal in capacity and I think both are top quality.

As as side note, I recently opened a long misplaced 8-pack of 2000 mAh Eneloops dated June 2006. They all tested an exactly even 1.2 volts out of the package, and after a break in pass through the charger, seem to be as good as the day they were made. No signs of age deterioration whatever. Very impressive.

It would need 6 D cells - which is a bit less manageable than 6AAs in a 2D.

It’s still hard to beat Eneloops - the 2700+mAh cells I’ve had all went bad quickly - and tended to be oversized so got stuck in various tubes.

The Lidl LSDs are cheap and cheerful (£2.99 for 4 if memory serves) - or the Contour LSDs (Which are most likely gen 2 Eneloops relabelled) which you can get for £3.99 for 4.

I’d avoid Vapextech cells - the 2700s I got were awful and short lived (And were a long way from cheap) and their LSDs aren’t all that great.

I think one of the best AA LSD batteries is Energizer Precision 2400mah (with 7x label).
They are made in Japan and probably made by Sanyo.

Are there some reliable 6AA to 2D converters?
I just know the 2AA or 3AA to 1D converters, but never have seen a bigger version.

There are sadly no LSD D cells available with good capacities.

My local Maplin (I think they’re UK only) sometimes has 8000mAh LSD D cells on sale. Though they usually just have the 2300mAh rubbish.

Maplin is a place that you never buy anything unless it’s 50% off when it is merely expensive compared with what else is available.

GP makes a 9000 mah NiMh that weighs 166 grams. Tenergy make a 10,000 mah NiMh D cell but as it weighs less than the GP at 145 grams that stated capacity makes me rather doubtful. Neither of them are LSD. As both have been sitting here for years perhaps they have made them higher capacity by now.

What about Feilong 32650 cells, would they work as an alternative?

Tenergy makes D cell Centuras. These are well-known to live up to their 8000mAH rating. And they certainly beat the pants off Eneloops in adaptors, from the standpoint of price, capacity, AND current.

old4570 has tested a few here.

Imedeon’s are 9500 mAh and very good cells.

Since you’re currently using the 6AA to 2D adapter you must either have the TerraLux TLE-6EX or TLE-300 or 310. You won’t be able to use 2 NiMH D cells. I have a 2D Mag with the TLE-310 using regular Eneloops. Run time seems fine but I seldom use it on high. Obviously, I have no idea how much you use yours.

If you’re using the TLE-6EX single led drop-in you could swap it for te TLE-6EXB (2-3 cell) and use Tenergy D cells. I have quite of few of them and though they probably fall short of the 10,000 listed capacity two of them will power a 3 watt drop in for a long time. I have about 16 of those batteries in various flashlights and camping lanterns and they’ve held up well.

I foolishly doubted you, and took a few seconds to check these batteries out. I see they are made by Maha, a reputable brand. That's good enough confirmation for me.