Looking for the ideal flashlight

Yes this is the Nitcore I own. NW version, I use it daily, it has a great neutral tint.

Also maybe don’t disqualify the reflector lights - if they meet your requirements otherwise you could apply the DC Fix over the lens (as Boaz suggested in an earlier post) to diffuse the beam. I have a feeling the DC fix solution over a reflector light would produce the same result as a TIR/diffuser type lens.

I wanted to upgrade to this but unfortunately there isn’t currently a NW version available. Hopefully they eventually will offer that.

Yes I also need it to work as a regular flashlight / angle light.

I’m also awaiting the release of the NW version of the Rofis R1 and R3, I like how they adjust from angle light to straight flashlight. The R1(16340) is already available but only in CW currently, there are several good reviews on it here on BLF. No specs out yet on the R2 (AA/14500) or R3 (18650)

Although these Rofis lights are reflector lights, if you like them you could also apply the DC Fix from Boaz to diffuse the beam.

I just bought a Jaxman E2L host this week from them, great host, with integrated shelf, so no pill needed and even better heat transfer, and just a tad shorter then an S2+ plus, it comes with a nice stainless steel bezel.
Jaxman offers the optics as well (carclo 507) and i have asked if they sell the triple copper dtp mcpcb with nichia 219C and they do! (7,5 USD)

Very happy with that, not sure whether to use an A6 driver or a current regulated one with it.

A spec for the R2 has just arrived:

http://www.rofislight.com/products/rofis-r2/

Be warned, sometimes it shows an annoying full-window popup advert. If that happens, close the tab and try the link again in a new tab. It worked for me at the second attempt.

Rofis has nice lights too. I like the angle. Most brands have some unique going for them.
TR18 or TR20 for me. While they both use a 18650 the are different in alomost every other aspects. Throw, lumen spacing, floodiness, turbo behavior, length and weight.

May I ask why you are even looking for an new headlamp? The one you have isn’t ideal, but no light is. What you have doesn’t look bad. Not at all.
Are the step stepdown numbers they give for the other models the same as what you know from personal experience with the light you own?

Then I think some DC fix might make those the perfect for you.

Yes I really like my HC30, I just thought I’d try one of the new XHP versions for the higher output.
I have to consider the levels though:

HC30: 210(M) 400(H) 1000(turbo)
HC33: 240(M) 780(H) 1800(turbo)

So for the Nitecore I might miss the 400lm and 1000lm levels. I really like angle lights so the new brighter one I get may end up being only for certain uses, and continue using the HC30 daily. I also need the magnetic tail cap, that is a very useful feature for me. I had to glue one on my HC30 but it came off.

I’m looking at the Rofis because I like how it goes from angle light to straight, that one could replace my HC33 for everyday use. I like how the head rotates on the new R1/R3 versions (better than the TR18/TR20), also the TR18/TR20 are CW only. Rofis informed me they plan on offering NW versions of the new R1/R2/R3 around March this year, so I’m waiting to see if they do.

It does mention it, I believe tha’ts what the “(ATR)” is:

To be honest I haven’t paid attention to the stepdown much, on mine, my needs are different from yours in that respect. I really can’t say I’ve even seen it step down so it must be gradual, but I certainly haven’t tried to run it on Turbo for anywhere near 60min. probably 10-12 minutes at the most, it gets kind of hot on turbo.

Here’s a runtime/stepdown graph (click on the graph for the review on BLF):

I’ve probably never run it on turbo past 15 min. so looking at this it really doesn’t drop much within that time.
The high mode does run steady for me, didn’t know it would go that long though!

So the turbo is useless, but high is great and bright enough for my use.

I’ll certainly try when buy such a light.
I’ll try it anyway on for example my Fitech which has a very bad looking beam. Right now have more lights I really need so I’m looking for a green (or blue) DC fix for one of my lights.

I’m leaning to “Zebralight H600Fd Mark IV XHP50.2 Floody 5000K” because that seems to serve all my needs out of the box.

What like about the Zebralight is that I can fully configure my mode groups by selecting 6 brightnesses out of 12. So I could configure away everything with to aggressive stepdowns. I can even configure different groups for different uses. It’s important for me I can select really low output for certain tasks to avoid being blinded by the reflection of my own light.

But as you very well know, it’s never easy. For example there isn’t much I really like about Rofis but the adjustable head is just great and would pay $50 extra for a Zebralight that has such functionality. I still have 5 weeks to decide because the ZL is out of stock :slight_smile:

I don’t know of anyone who has done that. I probably would have done something like that if I thought the BD04 was worth the effort, but I don’t like it that much. Mine is just collecting dust.

Yes I’ve read here on BLF where someone has done that, pretty sure it was either vwpieces or firelight can’t remember exactly who and I really don’t remember the specifics, just that it’s been done. It wasn’t an easy mod IIRC.

Got me curious now where I read it though, I may try to find it later.

I started reading the Nitecore HC30 review and posts again and found out the graph I posted apparently is not showing stepdown by Thermal Regulation:

The reviewer stated: “There was no thermal regulation activated in my test…………………… The HC30 gets hot after few minutes on Turbo mode. There should be a thermal regulating to adjust the output keeping the temperature in optimal range,but as I already noted,I did not manage to activate it”

Apparently the stepping down in the graph is due to unregulated current, not the thermal protection circuit. This is something I need to learn more about, how to tell whether the dimming is from thermal regulation kicking in or from decreased voltage from unregulated operation? There aren’t any temperature measurements in the review.

I also found out swapping the reflector in the HC30 with a TIR is a very simple mod!!

It was posted by X3 in the review thread (discussion starts here on post #14): Nitecore HC30 1x18650 battery,Cree XM-L2 LED,Headlamp REVIEW - #14 by X31

He swapped the reflector with a 60 degree wide angle TIR diffuser lens, it’s basically a drop in swap, he only needed to grind some around the TIR to fit.
It looks like the photos disappeared from the posts, but I found these photos on X3’s public album:

Beamshot with reflector (before):

With 60 degree TIR/diffuser (after): Goodbye hot spot!

60 degree diffuser TIR @ fasttech: https://www.fasttech.com/products/1606/10007055/1574903
Looks like Convoy shop has them too: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/LED-lens-for-CREE-XML-XML2-LED-60degree/330416_1577614278.html?spm=2114.12010108.0.0.e76b47drqNnyp

I’m pretty sure I have the exact same 60 degree wide angle TIR diffuser (I also bought it from Fasttech), I’m going to try and dig it up and do the mod on mine, I’ll post about it here when I do.

On the Nitecore website, regulation for similar models is mentioned, but that regulation kicks in after an hour or longer, which is very good. And that aligns perfectly with the graph you posted.
About the unregulated current, doesn’t nitecore state their lights are flicker free because they use current regulation?
Whatever the technicalities, the Nitecore stepdown is good. From what I’ve found Nitecore and Armytec are the only ones that state their lights stay at constant output for X minutes.
A little note on this, Armytec has two choices which are support describes as follows: If you need high unchanging brightness for as long as possible, then it’s better to take flashlights with FULL. If you need as long as possible operating mode (given that the brightness will gradually fall), it is better to take DIGITAL.
It looks like Nitecore uses their own version of ‘full’

HC33, HC50, HC65, HA20 all have a 100 degree beam. Quite floody I think. Other brands sell floody beams of 100 or even 120, but the upgrade you posted is still great, because the hotspot is gone. Very similar to the skilhunt with its ‘lens door’ perhaps?

/EDIT
A 60deg lens gives a 120deg beam. That would be great.

Please compare these two specs on the HC33
From the official site: http://flashlight.nitecore.com/Uploads/attached/image/20180119/20180119075238_14853.jpg
From a BLF review: https://civilgear.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/hc33_en_17-copy.jpg
The tables differ greatly. One table lists 1 battery type, the other 3.
Both tables are according to the FL1 standard.
Compare the second line under “NOTE”
“The runtime for Turbo or High mode is the testing result before starting temperature regulation”
vs
“Runtime for Turbo or High Mode is calculated based on theoretical arithmetic”

That last line is also true when the light steps down after a few seconds. When I spotted that difference I instantly feared Nitecore rephrased their specs so they look good. Shortly after that I found a runtime test that shows turbo lasts only a few seconds. Nitecore HC33 Headlamp Review – ZeroAir Reviews

Curious which 4 you ended up with? I also try to stay minimalistic like this.

The Zebralight in that review is a “D” variant. It has an older emitter (Cree XM-L2 EasyWhite) with a relatively high CRI value. This reduces efficiency.

It also has four XP-E2 sized (1mm^2) dies. The XHP-50 in the Olight and the Armytek has newer, larger XP-G2 sized dies (2mm^2). So at the same electrical input power the XHP-50 is driven at half the power density. This increases efficiency.

The Armytek is the light with bad efficiency (in the highest mode). Clemence has studied this in one of his threads. Generally though the problem with that graph is that the high modes don’t all necessarily use the same power.

Good catch, thanks, I didn’t get the pop up. My real interest is in the R1 and R3 though, hopefully they release NW versions of those as promised.

Found it. Dale did it on a MecArmy PT16 as part of an extensive modding project.
The USB charging components were removed to make room to go from a 16340 to an 18350 cell:

Apparently he initially was willing to retain the USB charging but ended up having to remove it to make room for the longer battery. But as I said it was just part of an extensive hot-rod rebuild for that light.

I don’t see where the tables differ greatly?

For the Li-ion specs the runtimes are nearly exactly the same in all 3 tables, there are two tables on the nitecore.com page you linked, the upper table is for IMR battery and the lower is with ICR, those two tables match the 1st two rows in the civilgear table. The only difference I see is for the Low (70lm) in the civilgear table for ICR is 15min less than what’s showing on the nitecore.com table.

In that review from what I can tell the stepdown is because the battery he used cannot deliver/sustain the current on turbo:

“I tested the light with only a Nitecore 18650”

I think that light needs a high current/high drain IMR cell or at least a 10A ICR cell such as the 18650GA. Maybe try to find some tests where they use a better cell. Pretty sure these don’t have any LVP so maybe a protected GA with 10A protection circuit would be best for some users.

The HC33 interests me but I’m out unless they release a NW version, same as your requirement I like good color rendering too.

I’ve read that the NW Olight (H2R) is a warmer neutral, that one really interests me, its brighter than the Nitecore, and has the diffused lens. I’m pretty sure the XHP35 in the Nitecore is better suited for throw, compared to the higher output XHP50 in the Olight.

Hi G43, welcome to BLF! :slight_smile:

I recommend the Convoy C8, but you really should start a new topic on this in the “LED Flashlights - General Info category” you will get a lot more response that way.

Forum Categories ~ LED Flashlights General Info ~ New Topic