Looking for the perfect 18650 zoomie ...

Lensman,

Thanks for the info and links. Checked it out on DX as well. I really like that the SS-A100 can run on 3AAA's in a pinch, but I wouldn't mind checking out that light too. Would like to hear more details as far as flood area size, current draw, runtime, etc . . . - did I miss a review post about this light somewhere?

-Garry

Lensman... I have that one... you can see it in my 6104 post.. picture is 3/4 way down and it is the 4th light in from the LEFT...I think it is just OK...does not have the same impact as the sipik did... about 1/4 the size flood as the SS-A100... but the bigger issue for me is it always pinches my hand big time when you open and close it with one hand...

-wish someone "else" would just get the SS-A100 and Tank 736... for another "subjective" opinion...

-If size is your thing then IMHO the Tank 736 in Q5 (second in from right in my zoomies picture) is the best push pull zoomie on the market... at least that I have seen.

There are only each $20

Gary,

here's a bit more on the 'Ultrapire':http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190529994052?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=... dthrckt referred to it in another thread as an 18650 version of the Sipik 68 clones, and that's exactly what it reminded me of when I first got it. I haven't seen an actual review anywhere, it's one of those lights that just gets a mention now and again.

Flood area on white wall from five feet is 38" diameter. For comparison, a Sipik 68 clone is 43"- 44" from the same distance. (And just out of interest, a Romisen RC-29 measured a mighty 60") But the Ultrapire can be used in mule mode, just like the '68s. The bezel unscrews easily and the lens comes with it leaving a bare emitter which practically illuminates a whole room. Word of caution though; unlike the Sipik clones, the lens isn't glued to the bezel so could be dropped.

Brightness of the 68 clone (on li-ion) and Ultrapire in flood looks very similar to my eyes (sorry I've nothing more technical to give you) but when focussed the Ultrapire is brighter and out-throws my Sipik clones due to it's much smaller die projection. Both lights have a similarly ringy beam pattern, though the Ultrapire has a noticeably purplish tint in comparison. It also has an effective - and useful - GITD tail boot.

As for run times, I haven't done any tests, but mine is still running on a brand new and first time on full charge Xtar 2400; I'd say it's now done a total of about 50 minutes on high with no sign of dimming.

I really like mine, and I'd say it has to be one of those lights where you can't really go wrong for the $.

CopperTop, I can't find your '6104' post; is that the thread heading? And is it this Ultrapire light you referred to, or the second one I linked?

i'm laughing so hard my sides hurt!Laughing

You already have the best you are going to get.

The LED Lenser uses multiple batteries and probably drives the XR-E R2 bin about as hard as it can be driven. Past that point you have severe diminishing returns.

There is no way you will find a light that is SIGNIFICANTLY brighter, period.

The only choice is to get an XM-L emitter with a big-head aspheric. This will be much brighter in flood mode, but will likely be about the same in throw mode, except with a bigger hotspot. This also assumes the XM-L is driven at least at 2 amps, preferably 2.5 or 3. That is fairly rare with a single 18650.

Sorry but them's the breaks.

This is the 6104 post, you can see my picture of all my zoomies about 3/4 the way down,

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/5241

It is the same light as the second ebay lising you showed in your post... 4th from LEFT

When you hold it at eye level with your thumb on the switch button and move the zoom in and out... does it pinch your hand too?

FYI, you can also link to a specific post, with the hyperlink at the top right of each post. Then you won't have to describe the whereabouts of whatever you're linking

fits in any of my pockets, pants, shirt, etc. except change pocket and almost fits in the sunglasses slot in my jacket

the different in head diameter is equal to the diameter of a US dime...

CopperTop,

Yes, found it. Nice collection. But that's the light I don't have, I just posted the link as a possible suggestion for the OP. I was thinking of getting one myself, too, but maybe not if you don't rate it very high.

You're killing me.

Now I have to buy 2 flashlights. Or 3. Or ... damn. You have no respect for my money. :)

So:

1. Small Sun ZY C10 - I give up. I don't want the most compact light anymore. LOL

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/small-sun-zyc10s-cree-q5-3mode-zooming-glass-optics-led-flashlight-black-18650-p-8459

2. Tank 007 TK736 - this is the best version?

http://www.focalprice.com/LFD47B/TANK007_TK736_CREE_Q5_5Mode_230LM_White_WaterResistant_LED_Flashlight_Torch_Black.html

3. I kinda remembered how much I like the Solarforce L2T and now I want one. No zoom or anything. I've seen it in CopperTop's flashlights collection photo. Damn :)

4. There's no XML proper zoomie ? Or a good R5 one?

True.

But try candlepowerforums.com and you'll see how moderate we actually are. Wink

Been there, tried that...

Funny thing happened. After I registered I found out that I have to make some "serious" posts to acces their "budget light" topic. That was a deal breaker :)

I ran away. Than I found you guys... My wallet is not very happy ever since.

It’s not that there are no XM-L or XP-G zoom lights (although I can’t think of a XP-G at the moment) but if you want throw that’s going in the wrong direction.
So if you want to keep the head size manageable you want XR-E otherwise you have to have a much bigger head diameter to get the same throw so…what’s the point of that :slight_smile:
You also have to drive it much harder for the same throw and therefore your runtime is much less…again…what’s the point in doing that :slight_smile:
If you’re doing it for more flood then that’s another matter.

lmao, because it isn't a thrower, it is FLOOD to throw ;)

Personally I'm a bigger fan of getting the "flood" and not so much the throw.

-Garry

As I recall however the OP mentioned wanting more throw than he had in the Sipik and wanting to keep the size down.
Personally I like flood (diffused) lighting most of the time and that’s why I mainly use flood lights rather than “flood to throw” lights :slight_smile:
When I want throw I use a thrower however for the most part it’s easier to find an aspheric in a zoom light at a decent price than in a fixed light so sometimes I go that route.
It looked (to me) like the OP might be thinking along similar lines.

yes, all true - I probably didn't need to post that, but 'm just trying to burn the last two hours of the work week here Innocent

Haha…
On an unrelated note…I wish someone would design a thrower with proper proportions in mind from the start.
There are add-on aspheric heads but they end up looking like a plumber’s helper with two 18650’s :slight_smile:
If you are going to have a large diameter head you might as well have two 26650’s!

absolutely - furthermore, if you're going to have > 1 cell in (physical) serial, might as well be 26650

i hope to see more competition in the 26650 category - lights and cells

There’s one thing I like about the DBS-T with aspheric head (many things really) and that is you can use two 18350’s (not that I have any) and get the voltage for longer regulation and still not have the light be any longer than a standard 18650.
With a larger head though you might as well have a thicker battery both for looks, better proportions and for longer runtime.
If they would only lose the crenelated heads. I really don’t like that look. It just seems stupid just like the flash modes.
No one had flash modes before LED’s. Why the sudden necessity now?