Looking for thrower...

?? I don’t think so. Could you please PM me with your old account name?

Oh, it’s been years, I don’t really recall. I think it was maybe the same as the current name.
This would have been back around 2013-2014. I figured I just got dropped for inactivity. :slight_smile:

Hi there, no accounts ever get dropped for inactivity. If you want you can PM me the email address(es) that you were using back then and I can help you find it. At any rate, we’re happy to have you back here!

It’s not a big deal. I don’t think I left anything of value in that account. :wink:
Thanks for the offer, though! It’s good to be back.
Out of curiosity, why can’t I post links to Amazon? Is it because I’m ‘new’?

Yeah, it was just an automated spam prevention system kicking in. I manually did an override for your account, and you shouldn’t have that limitation anymore.

1 Thank

Well, yeah, and the 'micro isn’t even ¼ in wider than that. (1.25" vs 1.42")

The CatMini is an 18350 light, so it’s shorter, but has a 26mm TIR lens and is probably around the same diameter as the 'micro.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTNH1YDB/

There’s the OG CatMini and apparently a v2 out now. I got the OG version.

2 Thanks

I ordered the Wurkkos TS12 from Ali, since it was on a good sale (~$19 with tax and shipping).
I’ll most likely end up getting the Acebeam Tac AA at some point as well, since one can never have too many lumens in ones life, right? :wink:
For that matter, I won’t rule out adding a GT Micro to the collection, if I ever find one at a decent price.
In any case, thanks everyone for the great suggestions and warm welcome!

Someone should have mentioned the Weltool T1 Pro.
No awkward head involved for work carry but decent throw.

Just curious here…
But ahh… Wheres your lost little friend going to end up now… Is he going float down & jam some emergency shutdown valve at the nuclear power plant? :thinking:

The T1 Pro looks okay, but the price is a bit much, given the relatively low output.
I do really like the simple UI, but I’m not a fan of those outie tailswitches. lol

As for my dearly departed P2, it’s laying at the bottom of a flooded water tower valve vault. It’s in no danger of causing any sort of trouble for anyone, other than breaking my heart. :cry:
Seeing it laying there on the bottom, in about 7ft of ice cold water, shining away like some sort of mermaid’s headlamp, was just about the saddest thing I’ve seen in a very long time. lol

If I was there, I’d come up with some kind of rig. Maybe a grab sample cup on the end of a pole at 90 deg? … a small dip net attached to a pole with another staff of 2"-3" dia. PVC pipe to push it in the net?
Once, I recovered a manhole hook that had fallen in a 6’ manhole, hook up, with another mh hook where I got them to hold on to each other and slowly pulled it up. Quite the feat, maybe not, but my esteemed coworker was impressed.

Magnet on a string?

Underwater, it might be bouyant enough to let a strong magnet grab onto the spring or anything else ferrous, then scoop it up while still underwater.

The price is definitely one thing, but I wouldn’t get hung up on its lumen output, id be looking at it’s candela rating seeing as your looking for a thrower.

I saw a video of it & from my perspective it was pretty darn impressive for having such a small head diameter. I garantee it’s just as tight beamed as your hugsby & much much brighter.

I think the Thrunite Saber “may” have been a throwy option too. Not as tight as the Weltool though.

(Anytime I’m looking at a thrower, I’m considering how large is the head going to be, what am i going to get for candela in exchange & lastly the lumen output)

I have nothing against the other suggestions, the ts12, gt micro, etc… their great products… I tried to buy the GT just a month ago, but missed the boat. I just wouldn’t want to carry it on me at work is all.

I was also going to suggest a magnet & a throw line as well, but who knows, you would know best whether it’s retrievable

A magnet might latch onto the internal spring if it’s a cheapie, but the clip might very well be steel even though everything else is aluminum.

But an idea came to me. Those borescopes you can get for cheap now, they almost always come with 10ft-20ft of “cable”, plus built-in LEDs in a ring around the camera lens, and those little attachable hooks and probes and whatnot. A fishhook-attachment could hook right around the clip in no time.

Here, 10sec to goggle them:

21bux for this, and even if you can’t give someone a colonoscopy with one, you can still poke around under the fridge to see if something rolled/crawled(!) underneath there, etc.

I always check under the carseats for buried treasure. Found a flash-thingy I thought I lost.

Anyhoo, if the Hugs is worth more than 21bux, or especially if it just has sentimental value, Hell, I’d get one-a these and go grab it.

7ft deep? I might even “accidentally” fall in just to grab it, then go pile on the blankets and gulp down some hot coffee. :joy:

You guys are mean, giving me all these ideas about how to retrieve my poor Hugsby. lol
Believe me, I’ve thought of many ways to get it back. Unfortunately, the biggest hurdles right now are that it’s:

1. an hour and a half drive away
  2. in a locked compound, to which I don’t have easy access
  3. in a locked valve vault, to which I don’t have a key, or any way to get a key
  4. said vault is 7-8’ deep, flooded to the rim, and filled with all sorts of cast iron piping and valves, just waiting to grab a magnet.

As you can see, the prospects of retrieval look bleak. :sob:
At this point, I’ve resigned myself to moving on, in hopes that I’ll find a light I like even more.
Hey, at least I can use the “emotional distress” card to shop around more without the wife complaining. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Thanks

Got it. Just making sure! :laughing:

I’m assuming that the replacement will have a tether?

Oh, you’d better believe it!! I’ve ordered one of those retractable cable thingies, so I can keep it clipped to my belt. I’ll look like a first-class dork, but at least I won’t be crying over a lost flashlight again. :rofl:

That’s one of those things where once it’s tethered you’ll never drop it again. :rofl:

Just tell yourself that the retractable cable thingy won’t look cool… until the day you triumphantly hoist your dropped light back out of the murky depths into which it fell. I used to be part of a lifeboat crew and all personal kit, knives, lights, whistles, flares you name it had its own pouch to live in and was on the end of a length of cord. Even the helmet lights which attached with velcro had a short tether so that it couldn’t get lost.