Looks like Fasttech now has the TF-R2

Hi,

I have an XM-L drop-in, from Lightmalls I think (can’t remember exactly) and it seems to work in the TF-R2. I haven’t done anything with the switch.

Jim

Fair enough Don. Was just curious if you knew the size by chance. no worries.

Jim - how is the max brightness with the XML? Is it comparable to 2.8A [well driven XML] lights?

Newb question… What happens if you run more than the rated amps through a tail switch?

The rating is usually in the 1 to 2 Amp range. I have run up to 15A through a 1.5A switch. No issues so far. Depending on the switch, YMMV. I pretty much ignore the rating and test them directly on a power supply. If it passes a 6A test and gives reasonably good results, I will use it.

Haterade,

I just got a new lux meter, so once I figure out how to use it, I’ll post the lux readings for the TF-R2 that I put the P60 drop-in into.

Also, FYI, I measured the tailcap current, and am seeing ~2.06 amps. I was using an Efest IMR battery when I did that measurement.

Jim

Hi,

FYI, here’s a thread that I had on the TF-R2 and a P60 drop-in:

The OP in that thread has info about the drop-in that I used, an XM-L2, single mode, “1800 lumen” one :)…

Warning; This is all in jest and in good humor, so please don’t go off the deep end. I realize that we here at BLF are never happy and are always frugal. This is a good thing. Now the light hearted Rant;

This thread started out innocent enough, Hail all ye FastTech for bringing back a long lost treasure of an OLD but Well Built Flashlight that is perfect for updating.

As in, you do the updating.

And the fact that FastTech was able to actually get the light AND have it be the best price out there now is not deemed good enough.
Now the comments are, It should cost less, should be updated, it should not have dry, dirty threads, etc.

Hello, it has been sitting in a Warehouse/container/brothel, who really knows where it lived.
Point is, you knew it was ;
Old, Outdated, Somewhat ugly color when you bought it.

Got mine today, cleaned the threads as I would any flashlight that was sent half way around the world and it seems to work just fine. Yes the colors are not exactly the same from head to body to tailcap. Think of it as a nice 2 tone color scheme :slight_smile:
My reflector looks fine. The o-rings will need replacing as they are slightly deformed and, well, just old.
Anodizing looks very good and uniform. It has a different grain than some modern lights but does not look bad to me. YMMV.

I will tear it down this weekend and install a P60 T6.

Anyway, thanks for the read,
Keith

You said that the above was suppose to be in jest, but I actually agree with most of what you said. When FastTech finally made these available, I had posted that that was a testament of both FastTech listening to their customers, and of how influential BLF can be. It was really an amazing act to pull off, both for FastTech and for BLF.

One thing that I’m concerned about is that after all of that, if we don’t take advantage of the TF-R2’s availability, it’ll get lost again. In other words, we bugged the heck out of FT to get this, and if they don’t sell any/many, it might reflect on future attempts to try to get them to carry something.

The other thing that worries me is that I really wish that FastTech would pick up the suggestion to offer the TF-R2 as a host. I think that that suggestion really makes sense for everybody, FastTech, Trustfire, and us customers. As it is, we have to now pay “extra” to get a complete TF-R2, with “old” technology, just to have the TF-R2 as a host.

I think that the availability of the TF-R2 at FastTech shows that we can influence them, so just like before, I’d encourage folks here who are interested to submit a product suggestion to FastTech that they carry the TF-R2 as a host…

Just my opinion :)…

Later,
Jim

im hoping that trustfire realizes what we want in this host. update it with newer emitter, natural ha-III finish, make it so standard p60 pills fit with NO modification. but keep it built like a tank!

that being said, im still going to buy another one of these when i get the extra cash. you got to like it for what it is.

Jim,

When I ordered mine it was listed as “in stock”. Now it says “ships in 7 business days” so they may very well have at least sold out their initial purchase of these lights which is a good thing for BLF to show it’s purchasing power.

As far as “we have to now pay “extra” to get a complete TF-R2, with “old” technology, just to have the TF-R2 as a host.” I look at it as “Parts is Parts”

I will use the old driver/emitter for something and it is a Host that I cannot buy anywhere else as it is not produced anymore.
For the discount that FastTech has over some of the other sites that had these, the parts are a bonus for a great host.
All how you perceive it I guess.

I just didn’t want to to miss the chance to get one and regret it later.
JohnnyMac said “Buy it” so I did……………:slight_smile:

Later, need sleep, 4am will be here soon enough.
Keith

That (“Ships in 7 days”) is interesting. Thanks for pointing that out!

That means that folks are actually willing to “vote with their wallets” :)!

We can just hope that FT notices, or, do stuff that is more proactive, like submit product suggestions on their website (for the host, and maybe, as you suggest, for an upgraded out-of-box flashlight).

Also, we can post on their thread here (the “How are we doing” one). I think that they’ve proven that the suggestions and comments don’t just “go down a black hole”.

At the end of the day, they (FastTech) are running a business, so, as nice as they are, “money talks”. Them running out of stock on the TF-R2 is a good sign. If they are as good at business as I think they are, they’ll have data and analysis, and something like a “new” product apparently selling out in a couple of weeks just has to pop out in that analysis!

I simply posted my observations boss… I thought in an objective non-whinny manner. Sorry my honesty and high standards bothered you Muto. Oh wait no I’m not really. Why should I be? :stuck_out_tongue:

If FT sold out already that would be pretty crazy. Wonder how many they had/sold total?

Pulsar is right… mfrs should take note: A robust, well made (roughly C8 sized) p60 PILL host with good fit n finish would sell well - IF the price is right for us stingy bastards! :smiley:

Btw… Put a hairspray LOP on my reflector tonight. Doesn’t look quite like real ones. But worked surprisingly well. Even the ringy outdated blah blah stock pill looks smooth now. Very very faint ring. Cleaned it up a lot.

To be clear, this is not a P60 host, it’s a P60 pill host. I think it’s important to point out that difference in case a casual reader thinks they can use it as a P60 drop-in host. I know it’s pointed out elsewhere, just like to use the right terminology whenever possible.
I am thinking this was not just stock someone found in a warehouse, i think it’s a fresh production run based on the original design. Obviously the price was right on, if they managed to sell a lot of them at it. it’s too steep for me in a light of this format that I know I will have to swap driver and emitter. That’s just me.
If it was in the $15 range as a host, well sign me up. :wink:

And… it’s gone. D’oh!

I’d just twisted my own arm into buying one.

I don't think the TF-R2 was ever recommended for its out-of-box performance. I have a TF-R2 that I got from another vendor 5 or 6 months ago. For the record, it arrived with a two-tone colour scheme in an ugly baby sh*t green, dry threads, no o-rings and an underpowered driver and emitter. But I didn't care because I wanted it for its P60 pill compatibility and the fun that would provide.

Only the buyer can decide whether the light as-ordered is worth what they are paying for it. But if you're a P60 fan, ask yourself how many other hosts you know of that have decent thermal management, a reflector this size and accept P60 pills.

relic,

We don’t really know if they sold a LOT of them. I think that all that we kind of know is that they appear to have run out of their own stock. Who knows? FT could have just brought in some small shipment, like 100 units, initially.

Having said that, I totally agree with what you said about the price and even putting the whole light up for sale vs. a host-only. It kind of doesn’t make sense. But, I’m wondering if FastTech just brought some of the TF-R2s in to “test the water”, to see if there really would be some demand.

If that is the case, then them running out of stock quickly is a good thing.

Now, all we have to do is get them to hear the message that a host format is really what makes more sense :)…

Mine arrived today and its quite lovely. The reflector had what appeared to be a few blemishes in it so I washed in in warm water and light hand soap and the blemishes vanished leaving a perfect reflector behind. The body has one superfine 1/8* long scratch on the head but otberwise flawless. All but one o-ring fit perfectly in the entire light. The tbreads arent the best but are far from bad. The knurling...fantastic!

it's possibly the finest knurling I've ever laid hands on.

As for folks complaing the price is too high....I agree. While fasttech has the best price on tbe light, it is still pretty pricey for what it is. I dont blame folks for wanting it to sell for less. No one is resenting fasttech for not selling it even cheaper than tbey are.

JM, glad to hear yours is of good quality. Waiting for the review now, and possibly some (lower priced) stock to appear at FT :wink:
Now all BLF needs is a way to tag users in a conversation… Jasmine would be seeing a lot of notifications I think. :smiley:

Glad you got a good one Johnny.

The little fisheyes in my reflector would not wash off. The hairspray mod worked well though, fortunately.

Thought about taking a dremel cloth polishing wheel to my lens to try to remove the little pock marks… Going to swap the glass for some AR coated instead.

Like I said, after cleaning and lube, threads are OK. (Typical xxxxxfire.)

Agree, the knurling is pretty nice.

Regarding price:

Solarforce L2P is about the same price. Obviously L2P is a traditional p60 host, not p60 pill host, but quality and finish are totally on another level with SF.

Just talking value per dollar in general (p60 aside)… XinTD C8 from IO is $5 more than the TF-R2 from FT. We all know how good the XinTD is. By comparison, for $5 less the TF-R2 is not even close.

That’s how I see it. Obviously, FT sold out, so I guess the price was good enough. But in the big picture, not the best value out there. That’s all.

BTW, the tailcap switch cover on the TF-R2 is kind of a funky size. Smaller diameter and taller than any of the replacement caps I have from intl outdoor and various other lights. edit: nevermind. I got one of my black caps to fit. :slight_smile:

Also, my (42mm?) GITD o-rings from IO were not quite the right size for the head. About 1mm off… (WTF?) ended up re-using the stock black o-ring.

Minor bummers, but no biggie. Just a heads up.
:beer:

A little update……

I am now running a 7C XML drop-in from E1320 in my TF-R2. Obviously this is on another level from the stock XRE POS.

Recently added THIS AR lens from IOS, and THIS fwd clicky switch.

Lens is definite improvement over the stock, un-coated glass. The 42mm C8 lens fits the TF-R2 perfect.

Don’t have a way to properly measure, but I swear it looks a bit brighter with the new switch. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if the stock switch is not meant for high current.

Now my tailcap doesn’t screw down the entire way with this switch, but I just added one of THESE 3mm o-rings. The o-ring fills the gap well and serves as a reference point when using a cigar grip.

After these simple improvements I am liking this light a lot more. With the XML pill and the DIY LOP reflector it is a great flooder.