Looks like Fasttech now has the TF-R2

Just bought one. Couldn't pass up the chance since no one knows how many are ultimately available since they have presumably stopped producing this light. Will give more details once it arrives. :)

Got one also :)! Cool! So, it looks like they do listen to their product suggestions :)!

I really look forward to hearing your impressions of it Johhny! :slight_smile:

When that is said. I have never understood the obsession a few people have when it comes to this flashlight.
I understand P60s. I understand C8s. But that light, for that price, with those parts? …? …??? Not sure what others see that I don’t see.

Some competitors:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002463/1277302-convoy-c8-diy-led-flashlight-host
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10002364/1212407
http://intl-outdoor.com/xintd-c8-v4-xml2-t6-18650-flashlight-p-308.html
http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S021400

It’s built like a tank. It’s a seriously solid light. Don’t compare it to a C8 because it’s not even close in build quality. You can easily buy copper pills for this too so it’s really an amazing host, is it budget? Well maybe, maybe not depending on your definition. You can probably get something that does the same job for less. The C12 that I just got from lightmalls with the XM-L2 is a lot brighter and doesn’t need to be modded and it’s less money. But it’s not more of a light, the TF-R2 is the much more sturdy light, no contest. I think you would have to have one in your hands to really get it. On paper or in a picture it doesn’t really show. It’s kinda like the difference between a Solarforce L2 and an Ultrafire 503B. They both get the job done but one just feels a lot better in your hand. You hold it and know it’s value, like a silver dollar vs a paper one.

Could I have a link to where I cann buy extra pills that will thread into this light?
Also, if you know of any different reflectors that are the right size.

Trustfire TF-R2 Host that takes P60 pill not the whole reflector part

a dab of arctic silver 5 on the threads to aid the thermal conduction helps

You may not know it, but what you said, “obsession”, is a bit of an understatement. One of these days, when things settle down, I’ll recount some of the things that happened the last couple of weeks with this light :)…

Edit: P.S. I really do hope that this turns out to be a good light for folks here! And that it spurs a bunch of mods!

Hi,

And, BTW, maybe it’s just me, a relative newbie here still, but I want to note how unique this situation is.

Basically, what FastTech and TrustFire have done is to “resurrect” a flashlight that was basically gone, and dead, from the market for awhile, I think, largely at the request and urging of a number of BLF members!

Think about that?

How many times has that ever happened? This probably dates me, but it reminds me of the times where the networks were trying to kill off the Star Trek series’, and then people petitioned them to keep the series’ going.

Truly amazing :)!

I don’t know how many of you opened product suggestion tickets at FastTech to make this happen, but whoever you were, KUDOS to all of you.

And, of course, KUDOS to both FastTech and TrustFire for listening to their customers!

I would also like to say that now that FastTech and TrustFire have “come through” for us, let’s make sure that we buy them lights, to show that we’re really willing to “put our money where our mouths are”!!

Sorry for a bit of a rant, but I’m still a little stunned that this is actually happening :)…

Damn you JohnnyMac, you guilted me into ordering not only the Trustfire TF-R2 , but also the Ganzo G712 that you reviewed.

I figure that I best order the TF-R2 , because I happen to like the P60 format and like the specs on the host.
If you guys say get it now or regret it, I’m getting while the getting is good :slight_smile:

I have a few knives but nothing that I get too excited about and that Ganzo looks like a keeper and a user/EDC.

Also picked up a 360 degree flash light bike mount to use on one of my Vintage Mini Bikes for cheap and a Conductive stylus for my Samsung Galaxy smart phone as my big hands don’t do well with the touch keyboard.

Thanks for the good reviews and advice,
Keith

ordered!... i am really hoping this light/host delivers…. by the time i’m done i’m hoping this will be my brightest, most ‘usable’ light (when the smallest size is not essential a ‘very bright’-high-decent-low-no-issue-with-heat-for-the-duration-of-use-on-any-mode-light)… wishful thinking maybe… but we’ll see! :smiley:

Very tempting… I can’t believe fasttech and trustfire came through on this one. Could have sworn this light was going extinct with just a few lone solders floating around to be had.
Best part of this host, if done right you can have one pill that will work with p60 or this c8 sized host. If they can source op reflector for this, and you have a smooth and op reflector for a p60, add a half dozen pills… That’s what, like 24 configurations?
The his is built like a tank, with better than usual machining… Not the best of the Chinese, but better than typical.

Mine needed to be torn down and have all contacts cleaned to function 100%, had flickering with it before hand…

Pulsar,

Now you know why I kept bugging you about how-to for the P60 plugins :), which I really appreciated. I’m hoping that folks will pick this up and do some interesting things with it. I’m looking to put an MT-G2 drop-in in it (not for long run-times, but just for “wow” :)!)…

So, who needs an SF 2200 or Crelant, when you can have the same output in your pocket?

Ok, a bit of hyperbole :)…

This was a 2/24 product request - but FT still hasn’t told me it’s available . . .

Hi GottaZoom,

I don’t understand what you mean by “hasn’t told”?

When you make a product request, they generally say something like “Thank you for your suggestion. We have added this to our to-do list and we will update you when it’s here.” as they did in their 2/25 reply.

Seven days ago I got this reply “Please feel free to write us whenever you have questions. We’re always here to help.”

So JohnnyMac’s post here at BLF was the first confirmation that the product request was filled. It’s not the only request I’ve made that is like that.

Ahh. Ok, I understand. When I first started putting suggestions into them, I used to just close the tickets when I got their canned response, but I’ve since started leaving the ticket open so that I can followup on it. I’m guessing that they have a policy that they have to respond to a post on a ticket within a certain amount of time, so doing that, they won’t forget the suggestion :)…

The one I put in with the TF-R2 was the first one I did that on, and I continued to post to the ticket with different types of info about the competition, compatibility (thanks to Pulsar), and a bunch of other stuff about P60 and the TF-R2s (again, assuming that their management wouldn’t let them ignore the posts). I was also kind of trying here on BLF to suggest that others also open suggestions for it with FT.

You’re right though, I was kind of surprised, but happy(!) that I had to find out it was available via JohnnyMac’s post.

Even until now, they haven’t said anything on the ticket about the TF-R2 being available :(. That was the one bummer part of this whole thing for me :(…

Edit: P.S. I’m still hoping that they’ll pick up on the suggestion to offer the TF-R2 as just a host, in addition to as a whole light. I think that that would be great, because the drop-in that it comes with is probably not the most up-to-date…

Received my TF-R2 from fasttech. Some impressions….

Body is very solid. Hefty. Definitely heavier than a C8 and very similar size.

Each piece of mine is a slightly different shade of anodized brownish greenish wannabe titanium whatever color finish.

Ano has those weird little dark “cracks” in the finish. They aren’t really cracks, but it looks like it. I am sure some of you know what I am referring to. I have seen this on [subpar] anodized finishes before and I’m no expert.

Threads on body and tail are a little rough and VERY dirty on mine, but OK after cleaning and lubing. Threads on the head seem pretty good, which is more important to me.

Reflector has some flaws. :frowning: Already thinking about trying to OP it. Sure hope that works out… :~ Kind of sucks to have to do it.

No flickering, which is good. Should be expected really. Especially at this price.

Tail switch feels pretty good. GITD switch cover is butt ugly and looks cheap for the cost of this thing.

Stock pill is straight booty. Some crap XRE. Not very bright. Ringy and gross. Fortunately it was never intended to stay. Purely a host purchase.

Overall it is not the best value for your dollar, but does feel very solid and taking P60 pills is pretty cool. Thermal management does seem good. Left it on head down on the table for about a half hour and got really warm, but not really nearly as hot as I expected. Crappy stock pill, but still worth noting. We’ll see how it does with an XPG2.
:slight_smile:

For $15-20 this would be a great buy. At $20-25 it’s kinda pricey for what you get. At least my sample anyways. Just a quick take.

Thanks for the update. I surely wish that FT would take up the suggestion to offer these as just hosts :(!

I call the crackely anno scaling. Not sure the technical term. Mine came with dirty threads also, with flickering. Took it all apart and cleaned all bare aluminum with alcohol, lubed it up and flickering when away. I think the tf-r2 had the dirtiest threads out of all my lights.
I got mine for dirt cheap off a dino sale. Want to say I paid something like $24 for the light, charger and a pair of tff. And I even got refunded for my flames because I ordered protected and they sent unprotected.

Scaling works. Fasttech it’s $24 for just the light.

I don’t mind including the stock pill… or not… but reduce the price some guys!