Lost in the woods - which light would you pick?

i take lumintop SD10 with 32250 inside :smiley:

I thought about the ZL SC600 MK II, but decided on the Nitecore EC25 for better outdoor modes and better throw. The SC600 MK II is a bit more compact, but the EC25 is still pocket-able, and the medium modes on the EC25 would probably suffice for most night time outdoor needs that don’t need the extra throw.

Jim

Having often wandered through woods at night, I know from experience that there is only one answer for me: my XML headlamp. (One of these).

If the torch is in my hand, it can be dropped or even lost. If it’s in my hand, that means one less hand to hold branches out of the way or climb over obstacles.

If I have planned that sort of trip, I keep a torch in my pocket (a Convoy C8 or M1) as backup. But if I had to choose just one lamp, it would absolutely definitely be the headlamp.

Sunwaymant D40A.

Thrunite TN-30

TM26 8)
Sooo much flood, make sure you don’t walk off a cliff or into a hole

There is only one choice. If I only have a map and compass then I want THIS and it takes 4 cells. Just need to pick the right drop-in.

Eagletac TX25C2….it’s my newest light. :wink:

Or an Olight S10 clipped on my hat.

I agree with Racer, Sunwayman D40A!
My favourite light since I bought it a few months ago.

Good evenly spaced modes with a decent moonlight mode, and the other day to my surprise, I noticed it has a single-flash beacon mode just like the Nitecore EA4.

It actually has two beacon modes, one with three fast flashes and the one with a single flash, which I like best.

And it’s really throwy and powerful too, from 4 AA:s, I like it a lot!

Eagletac M3C4 XM-L2 U2

My L2T, with P60 T6-1C, 12x7135 and my DIY driver with 3 groups including moonlight mode. :beer:

In real life when I’m down to my last flashlight it’s going to be either the fauxton on my keys or the L3 L10 4-mode nichia in my wallet. And I’d have to lose my spare backup cells because they are in flashlights.

I wouldn’t enjoy losing my keys or my wallet or my extra cells, so this would be a sucky trip. I guess I’d hope it was the L10 since it would have a fresh NiMH before I went into the woods.

Just what I was going to say. It would be a headlamp over any hand held. I would probably just take my Black Diamond Spot. It’s plenty good enough and has decent throw or flood LEDs as well as red LEDs for map reading.

The three AAAs will last all night.

I’ve done several long nighttime hikes in AZ with my Eagletac t20c2 MKII. It gives me brightness, Strobe to get attention and fairly low light for energy conservation. I think that would be my goto had I actually a choice.

For its overall ability, toughness and size, oh and runtime……TM26

ZL H51f

If I'm in the woods I want neutrals. Probably an xpg2 neutral/hi cri single 18650 , reflector a little wider and deeper than a p-60 with 4 or 5 nicely spaced modes like a q-lite driver .I have three of these and they are the best woods lights I own ..... I might want to have a h51w as a spare .... for when I have to put my light away and climb,claw or crawl thru the woods ..

Generally I just need 2 things in the woods.. cri and some throw .no need for massive flood or monster light . I'd like a spare cell but in a few miles there is no need for it.No way I'd carry a light with three 18650's ..Way too heavy.

I’m a bit surprised by the number of folks who opted for flooders mainly cuz you can always coax some flood out of a thrower, but can’t coax additional throw out of a flooder.

Ideally, in a situation like this, you’d have multiple lights, and at least two, a flooder and a thrower, plus a dedicated backup. But given the condition that you could only have one, I kinda expected everyone to choose a massive thrower… lol. Goes to show what I know I guess.

It’s interesting to see the various perspectives on this scenario. :slight_smile:

How do you get flood out of a thrower? A diffuser?

That, or take out the reflector or take off the head.