Low current XM-L Test

Can you explain that? I know the vf for XP-G is in the 3.2V range but how is that a disadvantage?

Thanks.

So, if you get 445lumen from XP-G, how much less current would you need to feed to an XM-L to get the same 445 lumens :P

So, in other words for 2800mah battery, you gain 20 minutes of more runtime, for same output :)

1.4A being 2 hours and with 1.2A 2.33 hours.

I did a real overlay of the relevant data for the XP-G and the XM-L

http://picasaweb.google.com/SimpleNatureSpirit/Flashlights#5637466619243658018

(I don't know how you can get the full size image from Picasa any more :Sp )

IMPORTANT NOTE:

- XP-G 100% is based on 350ma

- XM-L 100% is based on 700ma

Here is the normalized curves. The Y-scale is removed as I didn't want to confuse the other relevant data. Technically, this graph normalized the XP-G to the XM-L as far as relative light output. Don;t read as much into this graph as the previous graphs. This is only for a quick visual reference. Gotta love Photoshop!

What would also be useful is normalize to % of full spec current on X, and PWM (line) as well as current reg curve.

Hey that sounds nice.. What kind of T6 Emitter do you use (KD, Manafont Link?) - Mabye I will give it a try to :) Just have to solder +/- wires, right

mmh seems they are the only 1.5A drivers on the market :( Damn that you have to buy them in 5-bulk packages

Well I dont think its easier.. Ok.. for people with equip and skill.. yes :D

But I just have basic soldering experiences... 2 Cables soldering is okay for me... but these little SMD Chips... nothing for me to solder them out and in :) I think I will buy the 5 package of driver and make ~3 Dropins... One for me and the other for friends or maybe resale if they dont want them :D

Your link looks nice, many thanks for that... and they are already on 16mm PCBs... So they should match perfectly into these reflectors, right?

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=9208

I know I have to rasp them a bit, but they should be okay... or better take other ones?

Have plans for making another one.

Is it possible to get just one 1.4A driver somewhere? I don´t have XM-L emitter either...

This has all in it BUT 5-modes : https://www.dealextreme.com/p/cree-xml-t6-5-mode-6700k-450-lumen-smooth-aluminum-drop-in-module-with-textured-reflector-55026

Can it be crippled down to three?

Maybe I should just get that DX one and on 1.4A, 3-mode driver somewhere else?

BTW:

Tested this 1.4A XM-L outside. Temp +5°C, no wind.

Kept it tightly in my glove, L2m did not get even warm...

In fact the flashlight was so cool, there appeared to be a 7-8mm round spot of dew in glass, inside of it. Just about the size of emitter, perfectly centered :D

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/StoreFront

They sell them individually ...

But for me with postage , I may as well buy the 5 pack from Kaidomain

Yes, there´s a point in that.

But are there any proper 3-mode drivers (4,2V in), 1,4A out on medium and it has to be on high frequency PWM?

And on the other hand, if it would be ~3A in High, then 1,4A on medium, there will be IMO far too big drop to Low.

Thanks for heads-up old.

On my first, I used Kaidomain 5-mode XM-L´s originatl pill & OP reflector.

After the first half a second, what do you think you are gaining going from 2.8A to 4A (assuming a p60 format). My guess would be nothing but dead batteries quicker.

I really wish I could have a medium in the 1.4A range, but then I fear I'd see how little difference to the eye there is between the two.

In a really cold country, you could possibly get about 15-20% more output. But not with a P60 head + alu foil.

Hi old 4570, how are you measuring lumens? I have read about integrating spheres, plenty of pro equipment but there doesnt seem to be anything for the hobby market. You are obviously getting accurate repeatable results, just wondering if you have access to pro equipment or do you have a different solution?

I use a light box , and have used it for quite some time ... Many lights , and I have done the output calculations several times as well as Lights with known stable outputs that have verified my calculations ,,, by no means 100% but close enough for people to have some idea of output ...

Thats true to a point .. But the hotspot is only part of it ...

When I go somewhere dark , you can tell , unfortunately I dont have a camera that can do anything about it , as they compensate for the amount of light .

One of these days when I have a Spare Grand , ill see about a digital SLR ... Just not on the cards ATM .

nice one old4570, to me and my eye,s the xm-l,s perform well from 1 to 1.7 amp,s and not much of a diffrence to my eye,s but run time and heat is good.

I was going to bump this earlier today. I'm still smitten with XMLs driven @ 1.4A in P60s. I've built 3 or 4 now. I also took a Manafont/Ultrafire three mode XML (you know... the DD monster?) and swapped the driver out for a single mode 4x7135 and gave it to my father (in an L2P with a Romisen FWD clicky). It's perfect. Won't overheat, efficient, and simple.

Mine are 3 (or 5) modes and neutral. Other than my triple XPG, nothing suits me as well.

What are you doing with the driver ?

Yeah man, that is why triple XM-Ls are really very efficient to get the lumens, if you need the wide-field illumination. 3 XM-Ls at 0.6A each (1.8A total) vs single XM-L at full-bore 3A, in a real-world 15-30 mins runtime usage, the former still gives about 50 more lumens. (Single XM-L assuming say a STL-V2 type of host, so it gets much worse if it's P60)