Lumintop GT4

Thermally it is basically as good as it will get without making it even larger and heavier then it already is.

It already manages basically the same heat up time as the GT70 with almost 4x the power, so that is a very impressive improvement.

It is such a big light, why didn’t they put like 7 XHP70.2 in it? I understand it has no active cooling, but with that fins it could sustain turbo for reasonably long…and you know, you could always set the brightness to level of 4 XHPs on turbo, but you also could have quick 7 XHP turbo

This was considered but they wanted good throw and to keep costs down.

It might happen down the line but they are having enough issues just getting the GT4 done lol.

I do have plans for a GT sized light with more LED’s, something not yet seen.

The problem wouldn’t be LED costs.

It would be to design a driver and electronics+contacts capable of sustaining max output.

Over 20k lumens in a beam similar to that of the GT70 will be amazing! Especially since we’re talking about power that is thermally sustainable. I of course am very curious on the sbt90’s if they can put out a lot of lumens and even more throw but I suspect they’ll run too hot to have sustainable output. It’s certainly worth a shot though and Lumintop would have a very unique product with the sbt’s. Either way I want this light!!

Wow, I didn’t know the first gen SBT-90 came out in 2012. It sure took them a while for the 2nd gen.

The problem with Luminus emitters continues to be one of current and heat. To really shine they need a lot of amperage, and at high amperage they aren’t efficient and produce a lot of heat. Sure, you can make them rock, but there’s always a high price to pay.

Like the CFT-90, to get 5010 lumens out of it requires over 25A current draw (not hypothetical, actual working light conditions). Getting close to 100W there, but it’s a nice beam in a large reflector and with enough thermal mass and cooling fins it can be worth it. Sure takes a good cell down in a hurry! And of course, addressing that takes multiple cells and by default it’s a big light and a heavy light. No easy roads in the high end output market.

Edit: Before you start adding up a quad for 20,000 lumens at 5,000 each with CFT-90’s, keep in mind they’re $103 each!

I have been holding off buying a high output thrower LED because IMO nothing out there is impressive. Like X65, RT90s, etc. They are just
basically floody/rather tasteless semi throw 1 Minute run time toys. I wan’t an LED that gives a good 4-5mins of high output that is seen in a vector twin beam 80W HID mod. my guess that thing was good for 16,000lm near 3k throw with a good amount of close spill yet alot small head than a 9” spotlight. Truly the best high output beam I ever saw, just a shame it was a cheap diy project. Picture yourself in the blair witch setting and you know what I’am getting at.

80 watt hid can’t get close to 16k lumen, can it? Sounds way too high.

Yeah, 100lm/watt is doing good for most HID last I checked. 200lm/watt is better then even LED’s manage in flashlights. Even LED’s are generally going to average out to between 100-125lm/watt at moderate- high outputs. Lower as you push things harder.

I do get what he is saying though, I used to have an HID light and the beam was super impressive. I don’t know that LED’s will ever have a beam quite like HID just due to the difference the technologies.

Does vob have a gt4 yet?

Not yet, Lumintop has told me to hold off sending it to him until they get some final details sorted out.

Here’s another SBT90.2 light. Looks like this emitter will get more common

yes

Anything? I’m trying to hold out and not buy anything else, but the updates seem to be few and far in between. Camping season is coming up and I have several trips planned, I would like to have my hands on this bad boy before then.

Sadly they are just not telling me anything, no idea why. Several things they could of fixed much faster if they had.

I saw a prototype yesterday

they said several things are improved to TAs version (did not tell me which)

I was very WOWed

Well that’s great news. I was starting to think the project had died. I have been waiting for the gt4 to come out for what seems like forever.

Do you happen to know any specs? Beamshots? Possible release date?

Any news? :nerd_face:

Not yet sadly. They apparently are working on it slowly, they just seem to have something against keeping me in the loop. I think I might of demanded it be as good as possible a few too many times lol.