Lumintop Tool FET+1 mod: Recommendations for LED?

Hi guys, as the title states it, I'm in the process of modding a Lumintop Tool AAA with wight's 12mm FET+1 driver. The driver is finished already, and I'm awaiting my copper Tool AAA in the next few days.

I've already modded a Tank007 E09 with the same driver and a Nichia 219c 5000K and I like the tint very much. But it gets very hot very quickly.

However, is this still the best choice for such a small edc with a 10440? Or are there better alternatives? I'm aiming for maximum output but also for throw and a nice tint.

Other possible candidates:

XP-L HI: brighter, but how strong would be the effect of its higher Vf on runtime? What about throw compared w/ 219c? What about heat?

XP-G3: also brighter, low Vf similar to 219c, but I've read some complaints about not-so-nice tints (3A: really cool hot spot, followed by a really yellow corona with neutral spill).

Would all 3 candidates heat up the torch equally quick? Are there other alternatives?

Looking forward to any infos, thanks.

Hey mate will the emitter fit inside the stock reflector? I thin they come stock with XPG2s?

I personally think it will be way to hot to Direct Drive. I run mine with a 10440 and it already gets really hot. Also run time will be real bad!

Yes it will fit. I’ve already modded a Tool but unfortunately lost it:-(.

That’s what the different mode levels are for;-)

I’ve modded a few of them, latest with XP-G3. If you want extra heat sinking, add two 10mm sinkpads below the shelf. You’ll need to solder them together then use thermal adhesive to attach them to the shelf…works really well.

Can you compare the G3 to a 219c in a Tool AAA? As for the extra heat sink, I've already filed down a piece of a copper rod that I'll glue into the pill.

(Side note: Comparing the modded Tool to my modded Tank007 E09 which doesn't have a pill, the Tool gets hot less quick. Problem seems to be that the contact area between pill and head through the threads is quite small.)

I’ve only built them with XP-G3 and XP-L.

Hi jdm
Copper purchased from banggood? Interestingly, its driver will be able to work on AAA after the lithium 10440?

Hi Serp, yes I got the copper tool from BG. I will not use the original driver for which it is stated that it doesn't work with 10440 (it probably would get damaged or at least AAA wouldn't work anymore after you used a 10440). Instead, I'll replace the original driver with this one from wight. But that will not work with AAA but only with 10440.