Luminus CFT-90 Testing - The Mother of all LEDs

You’re right the XHP35 is not any better.
It does cost like 10x less though, making it a more appealing option.
XP-L2 and SST40 are the best options when dedomed.

You mean the Olight SR52-UT?

The SR52-UT was my initial idea of a midsize thrower that might be able to perform like a bigger light with the CFT-90, but it looks like heat is still a problem.

My current midsize thrower is a T21vn that I run with two 18350 cells. In this configuration the light is 2.7” X 7” and throws 500k lux, but the tail switch is awkward and 900 lumen leave something to be desired.

What about the TN42?

The SR52-UT was my initial idea of a midsize thrower that might be able to perform like a bigger light with the CFT-90, but it looks like heat is still a problem.
[/quote]

What about the TN42?
[/quote]

The TN42 is bigger than I would like. I take nightly walks/hikes and my main light is one of my 60 to 120k lux balanced lights. But when I get to an open area I like to have a thrower in my pocket so I can see what is lurking in the distance.

How about an Acebeam K70? K70 High Intensity Flashlight|AceBeam® Official Store | Flashlights, Tactical Lights or Manker MK35 Manker MK35 Thrower Flashlight CREE XHP35 HI LED Searchlight
or Astrolux MF02 Astrolux MF02 XHP35 HI 3000LM CW Long-range Searching LED Taschenlampe 1587M Sale - Banggood Deutschland

I actually have an MK35 but the pins on the tail cap broke and I have yet to get fixed. The MK35 gets me the closest to my desired size. I have been looking at the MF02, but I have of too many people having problems.

Lexel is making a BLF GT driver for this light. The carrier is easily converted to 12v.

So if you bought it and the driver crapped out on you, you could replace it cheaply. Something to think about.

Would the driver have Narsil UI by chance?

Do you know what the actual lumen and lux numbers are? I know that it does not make the stated 3,000 lumens.

Yeah. Look here.

Do you know what the real output numbers are? I know it does not make 3,000 lumens?

There are none, it’s just a driver.
“Real output numbers” depend on many different factors.
Going from 2500 to 3000lm is almost impossible to tell.

I think he was refering to the MF02, not Lexels driver. His driver can supply up to 3A, but can be adjusted down to whatever you want. 2.5A is what the GT uses.

Maukka’s review showed 2,200 lumen output.

It might be best to talk about the MF02 on a different thread since this one is about the cft-90.

Yes, I guess you are right. It’s funny how easy it is to start talking about one thing and then the conversation goes in another direction.

The Luminus CFT-90 is such an amazing LED. Is Sky Lumen the only one who makes a CFT90 flashlight? I did an internet search and found nothing? Is this LED just plain too expensive to attempt manufacturing flashlights with it? It truly feels like the flashlight manufacturers are dead-stopped at the CREE XHP35 HI and nothing beyond that is going to happen for the foreseeable future?

That emitter costs more then a lot of complete flashlights. That’s one reason you don’t see many lights using them. I imagine the Chinese flashlight market doesn’t see any profit using it.

The other, bigger reason is it requires a special driver to power it. Richard at Mountain Electronics is the one who built the driver for Skylumen, but I don’t think he’s offering them to the public yet. Lexel is also working on a driver for that emitter. I recall someone mentioning a third person who is working on a driver, but I can’t remember who it is. No driver, no light.

Yes, it’s too expensive for normal flashlights. You would probably need to pay 700-1000$ for such a light.

Thank you so much for that great explanation, and bringing me up to speed! :innocent:

I calculated cd/lm of CFT-90 based on SMA test.
Eyeballing the chart is not precise, but I got 0.36-0.367 cd/lm.
It should be 0.318 cd/lm

So unless I did something wrong, there seems to be ~14% error somewhere in the sma’s setup.

huh? I do not see the need for a special driver, it is a normal 3V led, it just can handle an enormous current. Is there reason why a bunch of parallel 18650’s and a 5-dollar BLF-A6 driver would not drive this led to 25 amps?