Luminus SST-40 triple or quad

Is the Luminus SST-40 right for a triple or quad build dropin or upgrade to existing triples/quad builds using Cree XP-L or XM-L’s?

I think the SST 40 is great for a triple or quad if you are after more power. The lower Vf of the SST 40 means each emitter gets more current. My triple SST 40 convoy L2 pulls 19A from an aspire 4300mAh 26650. A triple XPL V6 pulls only 12A with a 30Q. Other XPL and XML2 varieties pull even less current.

How did you build a triple onto a l6? Where did you purchase this reflector? Sounds like a very good light.

I like my convoy c8 with the triple sst40 dome on… crazy bright. I measured 3400 lumen @30 seconds…

I made it from EE X6 reflectors. It’s a nice little high-output thrower.

That also sounds interesting. Would have liked the emitters shaved though.

5000 lumens and 215 kcd. Not bad at all. I love the lumens. How did you increase it from 3600 to 5000 lumens? Why did u not just choose xpl hi?

@texasshooter, what host are you planning on using?

3600 lumens was with dedomed XPL at 4A per emitter. 5000 lumens was with sliced SST 40 at 6.3A per emitter.

I haven’t try sst40 shave dome with the optics…, I do like my dome on. it’s very bright… dome on is not for everyone… my personal tint is cool white…

SST40 has an XML sized base. Not an XPG sized one like XPL or other common emitters.

This means that the SST40 might be a good choice for large triple emitter lights, but won’t fit in small single-cell Triples or Quads, because the standard stars and optics only accommodate XPG-sized emitters. An SST40 is too big to fit.