Lux meters, a budget approach: Smartphone light meter apps

The LG G4 has a 0-30k lux readout with a 1 lux accuracy :3

I’ve downloaded this free app for my Lumia 735 - seems straightforward enough, very simple (there is a Pro version which costs £1.19 with advanced features)

In this free version there is a “night mode”.

Meter goes from 1 - 65,536.

So, what is the routine with these? Presumably clamp the relevant flashlight in a mount and put the phone a metre away?

SP

What these apps produce is not as accurate or even remotely close to what a luxmeter measures, has to do with the incorrect spectral sensitivity but even more with the very defined angle that the light comes into the ambient light sensor of your phone if used for flashlight throw measurements. In other words: you need a diffuser, and then you need to do calibrations. I started a little project on that, but never quite finished it: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/33532

For anyone else who has one: According to 3 different lux meter apps including lux meter and physics toolbox light sensor the max for my oneplus one is 32767.

Yeah 32K is about the max I got on three androids here
I decided to get a cheap stand alone. Probably off but still usable for comparing

32k is pretty low. My Note 8’s front sensor can measure up to the millions. I can’t say how accurate it is though.