Lux, Throw, Yardage... and why we want more of it

Ok guys, here’s the thing we want when we want more throw. If a light can throw 400 yards, we don’t want to look at stuff moonlit 400 yards away; we want to see stuff 100 yards away really bright. Much brighter than a light that only throws 100 yards. So don’t get caught up in the “You can’t even see that far” arguments. Remember if it throws .25 lux farther than another light, it lights up any closer object brighter as well.

Yeah , but I fall into the category of people who like a wall of light . Most really good thowers have a fairly narrow beam , some have better spill than others , but a truly bright flooder will also have adequate throw .

yep .

Yeah I’m talking about why thrower fans mainly :wink:

Do you thrower fans carry a floodier light with you for general illumination or do you just use the spill from your thrower ?

The only time I use a narrow beam thrower is when I'm boating at night and looking for canals or channel markers . Any bright spill reflects off the white interior of my boat and blinds me .

Just what you need

for a thrower that is……

I’ll pass on the pencil beam, XRE spot throwers and aspherics. I actually find lights like this harder to use in the field when I am out scanning an area for stuff off in the distance. I really like the big die throwers, that project a fatter beam way out. XML at 3.5A in a big dish is a really efficient way to get it done. Step up to the SST emitters if you don’t mind the additional power requirements.

Meh… who needs throw when you have a 15,000+ lumen wall ’o photons banging into the countryside :wink: Just pump 5A/150W into one of these:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BXRA-56C9000-J-00/976-1068-ND/2797760

Or for more floody goodness, gang up 3 dozen of them. You do have to schlep off around 5500 watts of heat, though. But the expression on your (now quite blind) neighbor’s face is worth it.

Definitely.

200 metres. No long exposure cam tricks, it’s 1/3s f2.8 and ISO 800.

Just buy a laser, or you can do some pyro!

well i must be a throw addict as my fav light is my olight m3x ( which iv now actually got working!!!)
i also bought a laser……just because i could!!! i dont even need the thing!!!
and my edc is an xtar wk26
Id say i like throw!!!

This is always an interesting (and funny) topic. People like what they like :slight_smile:

For every person who doesn’t see the uses for a pencil beam someone else doesn’t see the need for flood when you are talking about throw :slight_smile:

It just depends on what the person is using it for. If I was searching for someone/thing in the distance I might want a broader beam with the higher power requirements that entails.

If I just wanted to spot (in greater detail) wildlife at night a narrow beam with lower power requirements would be just fine especially if this was around houses where you would prefer not to disturb the inhabitants or draw undue attention to yourself.

As was pointed out more beam than you need sometimes only creates more glare or back scatter if water or fog is around.

One isn’t better than the other. It just depends on the use.

LED bars….

80pcs of XP-G…400W.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/594271439-5w-cree-xpg-400w-power-led-light-bar-30000lm-output-ip68-rate-top-quality-fast-delivery-wholesalers.html

+1