LUXEON Q - XP-E2 killer

Well I do know from personal application that XT-E will de-dome just fine if it’s any future indication with the Luxeon Q.

In the subject line I said “Nice comparison chart” and then asked in the comment section, “may I ask where that is found?” In the question, “that” applies to the comparison chart.

Thanks David, appreciate it. :wink:

Edit: Sorry, don’t mean to be quarrelsome, the second Monday of a given week is always worse than the first.

Tbh, I never read the subject line either. So I often get confused by posts which apparently started before what I consider the start of the post :~

As far as I can tell this is competing selectively against the XP-E2 as the ‘market leading high flux 3535 LED’, but would the XP-G2 not outperform it in terms of flux whilst still being 3535 (I assume 3535 refers to the base being 3.5x3.5mm)?

Also, whilst the die size itself is more in line with the XP-E2 rather than XP-G2, the viewing angle at 135 degrees is much wider than even the XP-G2 (115) nevermind the XP-E (110). Would this not have a detrimental effect on effective surface brightness?

I’ve gotten in a bad habit of not repeating the subject line to start the comment. Why, again, do we have a subject line? Oh well. Need to find myself a Toga if I’m going to Rome.

Any idea of when these “Q’s” might be available? I really don’t see them outperforming the XP-G2, possibly the new Nichia 219B. I guess it gives us options though.

I’m glad to see some higher CRI options, we’ll see how it proves out.

Flux is not the only feature to be appreciated in a led, if you like a bit of throw you want flux combined with small die-size and this led apparently does that just a bit better than the xpe2 (xpg2 has a 2 times bigger die-size; with the same current that gives twice less throw as the xpe2)

As for the emitted angle: the dimensions of the Luxeon Q look very similar to the xpe(2), so I don' t see so much why the emitted angle would be much different, could it be that Philips just does the calculation a bit different?

I think one thing that’s getting lost here is the fact that Luxeon products have tended to have tint characteristics second only to Nichia’s 3535 products. Unlike Cree products, which tend to suffer from not having enough red, Luxeon products generally have very nicely balanced tint.

If that holds true, the most appropriate comparison won’t be Luxeon Q vs Cree XPE2/XPG2. It will be Luxeon Q high CRI vs Nichia 219B high CRI.

Does it really matter that much if emitters and stars are not readily available?

For $2.93 shipped I had a Cree XP-G2 on a 16mm star in my mailbox a week later.

We are Flashlightaholics!
It nice to know whats coming soon. Maybe put off a build if it offers a significant improvement.
If its a nice step up at similar cost the market is here & sellers will get it in. Like the original nichia219 & the new NVSL219B. As soon they can get it IS will be stocking it.

For high CRI-high color temp. freaks,wait just a little bit. Luxeon TX with 85CRI min. and 5000K is for you :slight_smile:

TX doesn’t seem to use the standard 3535 aka Cree XP footprint unfortunately.

I think having a standard footprint is what makes the Q interesting. Bare Luxeon chips have long been relatively easy to find, but 14-16mm round boards for them seem to be practically nonexistent.

With the Q, at least the boards will be plentiful and inexpensive.

OT: I just now figured out what '3535' and '5050' mean. D'oh. Carry on...

Good to see that Philips is still developing new product for the growing market place.
I remember back in the day, 2006, we were happy to pay photon fanatic (Fred) $30 for a U binned luxeon 20mm star that would produce 100 lumens @ 700mA.
Change is good!

Fast times at flashlight high. :wink: LED production for automotive and general lighting is taking off FAST, so should be some good times ahead with the light bulb going the way of the CRT.

I've accessed http://pct.cree.com/dt/index.html but the XP-E2 max bin displayed is R4, how did you get R5?

Oh sorry, I didn’t see the subject line, usually skip that because it is just a copy of the first line of post text…

Not quite sure, it appears that this tool is a bit quirky, now the max I see is also R4!!!

Anyways, it appears that CREE didn’t sleep all this time either:
NEW XQ-E LEDs

more info -> http://www.cree.com/xqe

P.S. 1.6-mm x 1.6-mm footprint -> happy soldering :stuck_out_tongue:

I have some of the XQD emitters, same 1.6 x 1.6 footprint but no color options like the XQE. These are 5000K and make over 220 lumens at 700mA. They don’t have a thermal pad, just a positive and negative side with the negative side having a small v shaped cut-out.

I mounted one on an XM-L SinkPAD to see what the output looked like, ran 2 7135 chips to keep it at 730mA. Pretty nice! 145º beam is a flood of light. I’m thinking of making a mule from a L2m shorty with 6 of these on board. 107 lumens at 350mA should be really easy to make some decent light from low power.

The XQD has a square shape to it. No dome like we’re used to seeing. At a $1.06 ea. they might be fun to play with.

Would you give us a link to the supplier?

Flomotion, are you asking about the XQD? If so, I got mine at Mouser Cree XQC 5000K

> Luxeon … 14-16mm round boards for them seem to be practically nonexistent.

Yup. Been looking for awhile, pointers welcome.
I suspect what’s available is changing so fast that people aren’t building the addon and DIY stuff for a lot of things, like the new Luxeons.

My guess is within a few years, we’ll be building our flashlights inside finger rings.
Using stereo microscopes, or robots to handle the parts for us ….

Tiny little battery, tiny little emitter, Bluetooth controllers …

We are already banging against thermal issues with high output AAA 10440 based lights, cooling and efficiency are the limiting factors on small lights.