[M4D deal ALIVE] Astrolux S43

I ordered the XP-G3 version. :slight_smile:

Thanks Martin !

Regards
Daniel

Any info if the driver is glued in or it is removable with not much effort? I like to flash AndĆŗril in it.

I donā€™t think it is glued but it is press fit, not the easiest driver to remove.

Sadly flashing it is not a simple task due to the Charging PCB being in the way. There was no way around this sadly.

To flash it you will have to remove the charging PCB first, this is not impossible but can be a little tricky as it takes some time for the brass rods that the PCBā€™s are soldered together with you heat up so the solder melts.

Putting them back together is the harder part though.

Can you send some drawings or proto pics how it looks in a PM?
I can solder thin wires to controller legs and do flashing that way.

I donā€™t have a driver out of a light anymore so getting a picture would be difficult.

The driver has the same setup as the S42 driver though if you have seen that. The MCU is on the bottom PCB.

Here is the S42 driver:

The MCU would be basically where the FET is on that driver (just more centered)

Any chance of NW in the future besides nichia.

I can ask

but sales are not as high as Astrolux wished

I decided against it based on looks (ever since someone suggested it needed a condom :person_facepalming: ) and because the output seems low. Why is it 2100 lumen and not 3000+ lumen like D4? Maybe the D4 has raised my expectations. Iā€™m kind of bothered that it wonā€™t ship for another 3 weeks. What if the first batch has issues?

I might wait until the reviews come in before I order.

Well the output is low because they are using a higher resistance cheaper FET than the Emisarsā€™, and mostly, they are using phosphor bronze springs instead of extremely short BeCu 45% IACS springs, like what Emisar does.

That last one is the one which hurts the most.

I was thinking some spring bypasses might bump it up.

Iā€™m not sure how easy the FET would be to change. The double stacked board is in the way.

The FET should be a sir800dp, but admittedly I have not seen a production driver to verify this.

The springs are indeed an issue, I asked them to get better springs but I donā€™t think they did. The ones they have work fine but are much higher resistance.

Out of curiosity, if the battery tube on the S43 was changed, would that be the only cosmetic issue most of you have with the light?

I think it might be too late for the S43 to be changed but figure I could give it one last try.

The tailcap striker is already removable, makes the tailcap a bit taller then needed but that is about it.

The bezel is the only other real complaint I see here, how big of a deal is it? it is not that aggressive and is not that bad.

I got permission to post the prototype light I got, these are pictures from Mateminco, the ano looks a lot better on mine in real life then the picture look.

I think it is pretty good looking in the real world, the picture do not do it justice. if I have time I might try to get one of mine.

It looks kinda long to me with an 18650 tube.

Maybe a tad long but in person it actually fits in the hand pretty well. I was kinda surprised how well it seemed to work actually as I really didnā€™t like the S42, course a lot of that was the horrible driver.

well, one good thing came out of this
I just got the S42S for under $30
with the 18650 tube from my S41S itā€™ll make a nice grippy, hefty, swing kabonger!!

(even without the ā€˜dot your eye outā€™ attachment

interested

I like this type of tube design TA. Also like the bezel and no problem if it is a bit longer. Can you try an S41 or BLF A6 18650 tube if it fits?

Iā€™d like to see some knurling on the batttery tubes, both the 18650 tube and the 18350 tube. Iā€™m not crazy about the finger grooves, but at least theyā€™re something a bit different and Iā€™m not opposed to them. Iā€™d also prefer a shorter, thinner, and non-crenelated bezel.

However, all of thatā€™s just a matter of personal taste and the more I look at the pictures the less I dislike it. Iā€™m sure this is going to be a good torch and I hope itā€™s successful enough for Banggood to make more BLF-based torches.

Bad springs are almost a feature - they give you the satisfaction of boosting the output with a very simple mod. :slight_smile:

I am sorry for this off the topic post but M4D M4X you gotta change you avatar ASAP.

Mystery Kangaroo in Austria Still on The Loose

:smiley: