Made in ***USA*** Air Conditioner Wanted

This is a common thing people say, but it’s just not true. Trust me. The only issue is when manufacturers have learned that while shoppers ‘say’ they want quality or MadeInUSA, when it comes time to decide, everyone buys the cheapest they can. Therefore, the reward goes to the company that can make something ‘just good enough’. That’s all there is to it.

‘Just good enough’ runs the consumer products world.

I was recently getting some repair parts for a washing machine and struck up a conversation with the counter guy at the desk. He told me to keep my (circa 1996) machine going as long as I could since the new ones just don’t have the life expectancy. He said almost all the manufacturers collect those survey response cards that come with new appliances. Most of which include a question along the lines of: “How long do you expect this appliance to last?”

Unfortunately, when the survey responses indicate that consumers expect new appliances to last 3-5 years, there is no incentive for companies to make them last longer.

Think about the market demographics - the ‘most desirable’ demographic is the twenty and thirty somethings. All of whom have been trained that if their cell phone lasts TWO years, it is both ancient and out of date.

I found http://www.coldair.net/ (Mobile AC units, they claim they’re Made in USA of US components but before shelling out that kind of cash it’d be a good idea to verify where the bits are from)

I’m so sick and tired of the chintzy window units that reek of cheap plastic and end up dying a month out of the warranty that my next air conditioner purchase will be a floor model, way easier to install too.

Sad right?
I bought an American made Polytron commercial grade toaster that cost me $270 because I know that it will be the last toaster that I will ever buy so in the end I’ll save money, all stainless steel construction and it makes perfect evenly browned toast unlike most of the other ones I have owned…
They even sell parts for them.

There’s still a decent selection of high end usa-made products, but the medium and low end have bottomed out and a lot of companies have went out of business because they tried to compete on price instead of quality (and you’re never going to be able to do that when other countries have literal slaves making their exports)

In about six months the made in USA items may turn around, but until we have leadership willing to fight for US jobs on a practical level, fair trade without currency manipulations etc, I’m not going to beat my head against the wall. I buy what I need, sometimes the best, sometimes the cheapest.

Carrier air-cons used to be well-known world-class Made in USA products. But I doubt that they are now made entirely of American components.

In Singapore, Thailand, and many other countries in East Asia, Mitsubishi air-cons are popular. They tend to cost more, but they last longer and quite efficient (4 –5 energy efficiency rating marks). All three wall units in my apartment are Mitsubishi brand.

a decade ago or so, pc Richards used to have its own brand of ac made in usa , iirc either “tradititions”, or “generations” name of the brand, they were build in long island, i got one for my parents, back then, it still works, but i no longer see that brand, i guess the store’s endeavor to build ac in usa did not last,

Most Carrier units are now made in Mexico but I don't know if all lines have shifted there or if it's (most likely) a blend of global sourcing. The larger units in Mexico don't even go to Carrier for anything necessarily, just drop shipped directly to the installers straight from the factory. Lots of things about them are not as good as when they were made here but there have also been some appreciable improvements. Man, this is a really old thread to drag up!!

i recently bought a Friedrich AC. they are supposed to be the best, but despite of it being mounted correctly, it has water standing and starts smelling a bit like urine, from bacteria that grows in that water, when i turn it on, it fills the room with that nasty smell, i had several different ac’s in the same window before, none had that issue, actually no ac i ever had had this issue, i was gonna throw 1 year ac out because of that, but decided to try something, i removed the filter, (which is made pretty crappy, it lets tons of air pass around it, and evaporator coil gets all dirty), so i took a spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide and sprayed the coil sprayed a lot, let it sit for half an hour , while the h2o2 was hissing, then i turned the ac on, and sprayed as much again, it seems to fix it, but i have to do it every few months. and i had to modify the filter so all air goes thru it, and nothing around it.
so an ac that supposed to be the top of the line, turned out to be junk,

Endep up trashing the ac today, i opened it to clean a bit better and found lots of mold, not worth messing with it, will buy another one.