Magicshine headlight price mistake for 2.99 - EU only

I also got a refund, but not any explanation by email. Oh well... It wasn´t supossed to be sent.

what a joke, sent my complaint, never gonna do business with dx again

how do i contact this 'company'? all the things i try state 'order cancelled'

I also got refunded, but nothing extra :(

Come on - everyone knows, that it was a price error (a $80 torch for $3 must be an error). It's ok to order it and hope to get it - but it is also ok, that they do not send them out and refund.

I just got my refund notice too, it says to check my paypal account to see it but I haven't actually been refunded, just sent the e-mail.

Error or not, if you go to a store here you pay the advertised price, end of story...

Yep. Same here!

But that isn't actually the law. The contract is only made at the till, legally an advertised price is regarded as an invitation to enter into a purchasing contract, not part of the contract itself. Technically you can negotiate for price in any store and any seller is perfectly within their rights to reject a sale even at the advertised price or to only offer the sale at a higher price at the till.

This all gets a bit confusing with automated internet stores however where processing of orders is done automatically..

But I think the basic premise is that the web price is an "invitation to do business"; you clicking buy now constitutes an "offer" on your part; and them actually shipping constitutes "acceptance" of the contract. Still sucks.

This was a little more faffing around than I expected, but taken alone, it wouldn't kill my relationship with DX.

What is about to do it is that almost a month ago, I ordered a normal item from their EU warehouse. It took 10 days to get to shipped status (in spite of the fact that they have a front page ad that says, "24 hour shipping!"), and now almost 2 weeks with nothing arrived. Add to that a tracking number that doesn't seem to work anywhere... (SE<nine digits>NT).

[sarcasm] THAT'S SERVICE! [/sarcasm]

edit: x-post with Redforest... I should type faster

Hmm, it's a bit confusing, but this Wiki page seems to agree with you, RFUK: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_a_shop_advertise_a_item_at_a_certain_price_and_then_say_it_was_a_misprint_are_they_obliged_to_sell_it_at_the_advertised_price_if_so_why

Strange thing is that I'll bet the majority of people actually believe the opposite, i.e. that an advertised price is legally binding. I was one of them til I read your post, thanks for the info.

That said, I was never up in arms over the duff DX 'deal'. Let's be honest, we all knew our chances of a result were slim-to-zero, and I for one just took it on the chin. It's all very well saying that they'd never get away with it 'here', but then, the reason we shop 'there' is for the low prices that we don't get 'here'. Can't expect to have it both ways.

EDIT

edit: x-post with Redforest Ruffles ... I should type faster

Me too LOL!

Lol some cross posting yes, but I think each of the three posts complements and adds to the last one very well. If only all internet discussions went that smoothly ;)

Talked to DX customer service, they apologised and told that the 77$ difference is too much for them to honor the deal. Well let's hope i get my green laser fast now... already 2 weeks being prepared... I'll have to take some days off to unpack!