Maglite Twins - Build thread. Beam Shots are up

I’d love a driver like that. But I ain’t got no solder skillz. In fact, I’m really bad at it. Oh, and nice work on the mods, OL!

I am thinking about offering to populate some boards for people. I have not decided yet, since I do not know the demand. I would have to figure out the price and that’s hard, because of the option of the number of 7135 chips. The driver could be done as low as 380mA or as high as 9120mA, (more if stacked).

They will be for sale, but slow2go has first dibbs, so if there’s anything left…

I am going to start offering these lights, with laser engraving, soon. I am still debating on what the engraving will be and where, (tail cap, or body). Something like O-L's Firelight or O-L Mag, or...

Anyhow, I think I will start doing a few and offer the MT-G2 or the XP-L/XM-L2, with the Mag LED reflector. They won't be cheap, but I've decided to make the best quality light I can, with file work and with the new driver, so I can feel that the mod will be something that will last a good, long time. I think, with the Laser engraving, file work, linear driver and DrJones programming, they will be excellent lights. I do need to find some company that will make 30mm direct to copper mcpcb's for the MT/XM/Xp die sizes. 20mm is just too small for the Mag LED reflector.

31.5mm copper boards here. 1.5mm knocked of the edge would take you little to no time.

thanks! 26.5mm would work just fine and they have them in all the die sizes. Sounds like a good idea.

It seems to me that you could offer then priced as fully populated. It’s not a big cost difference and populating less than the maximum is a service - the money saved on parts covers the extra effort you put forth to keep track of the count. Also, anyone who desires 8 chips or less may as well go with an existing Nanjg 105c board… So really the range is 9-24 chips, an even smaller delta.

Good work getting this new board made up.

Thanks for the link, that looks like good stuff.

Thanks OL for the reflectors’ links. I’ll have to build one of my own.
What kind of fiddling is required to shove the deep reflector into an 2D incan mag?

Nice work on the Mags OL. :slight_smile:

Beam shots in Post #1.

I tested out the new meter. It's dead now.

First test was with the stock leads. 20ga wire, 24" in length.

Both lights showed to be exactly 5.30 amps with 18650-20R cells and 5.65 amps with 26650VT cells.

Then I put in 12ga wire, 12" in length. I soldered them directly into the meter.

First test was with the 26650VT batteries. The amps rose immediately to 6.95 amps. - POOF! I heard something in the meter pop and zero amps. I imagine it blew a fuse, but my question is, if the fuse blows at 7 amps, how can it be a ten amp circuit? It's supposed to read up to 10 amps.

Sometime I will check it.

I went ahead and used my old, analog meter. You know, old technology, with a needle and everything.

I get 7.5 amps with both lights, using the 26650VT batteries. I think that's all I can get out of those cells, in this set-up.

That's all for now. If anything is left, I will put it up for sale later.

The ID of the top of the head, where the reflector sits, has to be opened up, to accept the reflector and get it to seat down to where a normal reflector is. It may also need trimming down the OD of the reflector’s top lip as well. It’s a pain. I do it with the drill press and a dremel cutting bit.

I think RMM may decide to make some up. I will let him take care of that. He’s better at it than me.

Whos that peepin over the top of your garage doors? Nice shots. There does not appear much difference in brightness on the longer shots.

Incandescent outdoor lights, naturally.

I just bought my first Maglite.
I’ve never modded a Maglite before, but I do have a bunch of OL MiniMags and his wonderful “Angel Eyes.
It’s a 2D Purple Incan. I guess my first need is a reflector.

Justin. Is there any difference in the construction of the 2D body of the Xenon from the LED model, or are the guts and reflector the only things that are different?

I do love the look of this purple Maglite.

The entire body is different. The bezel ring and tailcap may swap, but the body tube, head, and switch assembly are all different.

The difference between a LED 2D and an Incandescent 2D are in the amount of threads for the head. Don't ask me now, which is which, but one has more threads on the body tube than the other. The heads are the same and the bezels are the same. Other than that, the switch guts are the same. The switch housing has minor differences, but nothing major. The reflectors are naturally different.

I can't swear to it, since I'm at work and my memory has gotten very bad, but the LED tube might be a hair different in length, but I don't remember for sure. Bezels, heads and tail caps can be interchanged. If you get an aftermarket reflector, some "fitting" will be needed.

I didn’t realize that the heads were the same, but they probably are. I may have been thinking of the C-body, which I don’t think can be as similar due to the deep reflector not clearing the front of the tube & the shelf in the head in a C-size incan Maglite?

I have an incan Mag 2D and a Rebel Mag LED 2D in front of me here. The body tubes are the same overall length. The LED Maglite has significantly less threads on the body tube at the head end. The o-ring is moved forward, but the button stays in the same place (so there is a larger gap between the o-ring and the switch on the LED version). As OL said, the switch guts are the same. While the plastic assembly is different, once you remove the post you’ve got the same thing.

EDIT: The tubes are not “the same” length, OL is right: the LED tube is a hair longer, significantly less than 0.5mm I think. I don’t think I can take reliable measurements of it, but sitting side by side this seems to be the case.

The link you gave for the shallow reflector at CNQG looked very familiar, so I dug around through my boxes and found This reflector. It drops into my Maglite head perfectly with about a mm of wiggle room. I measured it, and the height and diameter match those on CNQG.
You mentioned that they needed to be engineered into the head, but this one seems to fit nicely. I was originally going for the deeper reflector…but this one is at hand.

The one from CNQG definitely has to be worked, to fit in, so if you have one that fits, go for it.Smile

One more question…actually I’ll have a bunch in the next week or two…have you tried this reflector with XML, and how is the beam profile with it? I’ve been thinking MTG, but since it’s my first MagMod, I may go XML til I get the hang of the mod.