Manker developed a Zoom with NO MOVING PARTS (updated info)

Very nice. I hope there will be two buttons. One for zoom and one for brightness ramping. Also hope it will have built-in USB-C charge for the ultimate do everything flashlight.

From the diagram it looks like it has 3 buttons.

My guess is:

• Button 1 - zoom out
  • Button 2 - zoom in
  • Button 3 - Turn LED on/off and adjust brightness.

Well this seems quite the feature without any mechanical movement, rotation, etc. Then it is one those those electronically controlled windows that go from transparent to frosted in front of the optic?

As I suspected the reality is less interesting than the speculation. It does not have the ability to do variable focus. It’s just a fixed-focus thrower with something akin to electrochromatic glass.

It is still novel. I don’t blame Manker for over-promising since I am not sure what they claimed.

I find this very useful. Kind of switchable dc-fix.

well - there is no "diffuser" used!

actually the "lens" can change its refraction properties!

the technology will be available in different sizes and can be combined with small Led klike Osram W1) as well as big ones (SBT90.2) and also will be tested with LEP modules

This looks very interesting. Following...

Excellent!!!

Sounds something like the liquid lens previously linked. But hopefully not costing hundreds of dollars. If this light is cheap cheap enough I definitely want one!

Still smells on this :slight_smile:

Maybe is Liquid crystal lens like this product

Nice find!

It could well be that. From Manker’s diagram of their new zoom light the thickness of the thing between the TIR and the outer lens looks to be similar to these Lensvector lenses.

And from a quick Google search, the Lensvector lenses aren’t that expensive. As cheap as $17 per unit when purchased individually (and probably less when purchased in quantity) …. well within the range of what would be an acceptable cost for a flashlight.

I’m really looking forward to this light. Any word on when it will be available and for how much?

sub’d

Yep nice find with the liquid crystal lens thing.

I’m not sure I’m interpreting the plot correctly, but in the broadening vs voltage plot in the datasheet it looks like the broadening effect never goes to zero. So even in “clear mode” there would be some broadening which is not good for throw.

I had the same interpretation. Still really intrigued by a new optics tech that could actually shake things up around here

Ha! First naysayer!
Sure does roll off the tongue easy, doesn’t it?

Genuinely curious why you say this though.

I personally find it somewhat interesting. I use butler creek flip open scope caps, with the front lens diffused, on several of my smallish throwers. Best of both worlds, but the cap is bulky when open. This seems like a nice fix for that.

So many buttons, it would be great if uses Andruil UI, with click-click-hold mapped to zoom adjustment.

That sounds a lot less convenient than just pressing an extra button.

Please don’t mind me ranting about my personal preference :beer: I think there is certain element of elegance in Andruil UI, and am amazed by how many functions it provides.

Yeah, definitely.

M4D M4X, Any news on this intriguing flashlight, like when will it be available?