MAP or No MAP ? Let your voice be heard

Hi everyone, could those who were fighting and/or used crude language here please go back and delete their posts? Thanks!

I cleaned mine up sb.

I don’t want to risk saying anything political. I’ll just say that there’s a reason why a lot of folks consider Walmart and NAFTA to be synonymous and just leave it at that.

Also, I just want to say again that I do not have an opinion on Walmart (or NAFTA) one way or the other. I really don’t. I don’t have an opinion on MAP either. I am neither for nor against it. All I was trying to do was introduce some facts and point out why some of the things being argued on this thread simply don’t make sense. That is all.

Well all I’m gonna say the rich people to some may taketh away from some. But when you got 4 Waltons that are worth let’s say around 100 billion combined they are going to provide a lot of jobs that less fortunate folks can’t. And there’s a lot of folks working at Walmart that are just proud to be working. You can’t knock them for that.

OK I’m done on Walmart.

Woooho…oh well…I suggest you read the OP again as this thread is for your voice to be heard regarding MAP or NO MAP, and the repercussions it had after the Crelant, Fenix and its latest victim, Sunwayman vs. FT debacle.

And guys,

Remember this thread below?

LOL. of course everyone wants the lowest prices possible! though i may seem to be defending map i’m actually just trying to explain how the industry works. at the end of the day when i buy my personal flashlights i want the lowest prices too…

so naturally nearly everyone would be opposed to map!

But that has nothing to do with MAP. In that case the manufacturer simply refused to sell lights to another company (Doingoutdoors); preferring to sell products through his existing dealer network.

Also, looks like Jetbeam and Sunwayman have joined the Fasttech MAP party

Wouldn’t be surprised if Niteye is next.

I have to say I'm still ambiguous about the whole MAP issue. On the one hand I can see the need to protect smaller dealers, but the way these companies are acting seems to be disorganised and arbitrary. It's not a professional look and it simply alienates potential customers to see a company like Fasttech screwed for selling at a retail price they are happy with. It seems to be a no-win situation for anyone except the manufacturers. Certainly, it makes it harder for end-users like us to get the best deals.

For those that passionately disagree with MAP, perhaps someone could compile a list of all the companies enforcing MAP/Price increases and post it in a thread.

Publish the company name and contact address in a sticky and encourage forum members to contact the companies directly expressing their displeasure.

It's all well and good to rant in here about never buying another product from Fenix/Crelant/Jetbeam/Sunwayman/NiteEye/Niwalker/Nitecore/etc but I think a flood of complaint emails direct to the companies concerned would carry more weight.

In the end, many of the lights we buy are not actually NEEDED and higher pricing will simply mean less overall sales. For me, a Sunwayman D40a at $50 or so was an OK light, but for $80 they can shove it. Same goes for the Jetbeam RRT-01.

It was because of MAP. They refused to sell because of the non-compliance of MAP.

Advertised.

Advertised.

Advertised.

The "A" stands for advertised, not actual. The vendors can sell the lights for forty-four cents each, if desired.

The resellers who have breached their procedural agreements with the manufacturers are the ones who should be the target of your ire, yet they (paradoxically) continue to be held up as retail martyrs.

As I said earlier, perhaps MAP is the wrong term. Can anyone think of a more appropriate term? But the fact remains because of “MAP” (again, maybe this is the wrong term), prices of vendors who sell at prices that are strategically satisfactory with them were forced to raised them, to the detriment of the buying public. This is a fact that nobody can argue with.

The ONLY way anyone can "force" pricing to elevate is by increasing wholesale cost, or other costs of doing business (advertising, shipping, etc.)

FastTech could have easily played by the rules, and could have been selling the lights for the "strategically satisfactory" pricing this entire time.

Your beef is with them.

Maybe so, but the difficulty then becomes how to make that price of forty-four cents known to potential customers without incurring the wrath of the dealers/manufacturers.

How do you sell something for forty-four cents now, when all of your suppliers and competitors are watching you closely and reporting back?.

I'm afraid that the argument stands; it is the buying public that will ultimately lose.

Increasing wholesale cost will raise the final price, that’s true… but this is not what happened at FT. They lowered their profit margin and were satisfied with it. Their cost has nothing to do with it. Their acquisition cost remained the same. They were just satisfied with a smaller profit margin, and some dealers obviously complained, and FT were forced to level-up. That is the beef of the matter.

Yes that is exactly True….they post MAP on their site then put coupon codes on here and the competitors complained about that too. The competitors want their cake & to it eat too.

I can understand somewhat on the Dealers Website the price might have to be listed as MAP, but now they can’t even give out coupon codes on here? How else would a consumer know about any discounts offered? I think as long as they put MAP on their site, they complied with MAP. Maybe they should put up a post on their site that says create an account for discount codes. It was said they can sell for whatever price they want as long as they don’t advertise below MAP…well how is the customer going to know about the discount? and I don’t believe putting coupon codes on a Forum they don’t own should violate anything, to take it a step further what if a Customer put a special coupon code on a Forum……the Dealer certainly didn’t advertise it; this whole thing is ridiculous.

It’s not only ridiculous, it is costing us more money ! (Crelant, Fenix, Niwalker. and the latest, Sunwayman)

bro that’s because FT has an agenda. they were selling at a very low profit margin in order to gain marketshare, and you know how the FT business model works, they go for volume. they know they have an advantage because 1) they don’t incur any customs fees because they’re in china and 2) shipping rates are very low in china

in other words FT uses their advantage so they wouldn’t have to fight in a level playing field. this is EXACTLY the sort of thing MAP protects the smaller dealers against

Seems unfair, we can’t seem to discuss new prices on forums openly. Meanie-MAP reporters!! :_(

Hey Bro, hehehe. Got no beef against you!

Pagtripan natin itong mga tao dito…