Maratac cr123 SS led and driver swap

Got a Maratac 123 SS in the mail today. Couldn’t leave it alone. Got on here and started doing some searching around. Found a post where CRX did a tail switch mod on a copper he had with a triple in it. I new it could be done.

I PMed CRX about removing the pill. Mine had blue loctite , so some heat took care of that.

Had a H17f driver in a Convoy S3 that I ruined the threads on so it needed a home.
I also had a Nichia 219c I believe in my mod box. Didn’t take any photos of the work, but here are a few of the end results.

Good you got it fixed, the stock driver is a little underpowered in a nice host like the Maratac 123 it’s just a shame they’re still using an aluminium pill. Nice driver & emitter choice for a nice light :+1:

Not sure how you got a forward clicky into your copper, the SS has a welled out tail.

I am thinking of a momentary off tail switch for mine. Just not sure how to keep it water tight.

If I put the spring back on the driver. Removed the tail spring, Some sort of plunger with a good rubber boot, a push would break current, for momentary off. Twist on, momentary off to change modes… Something to think on…….

Thanks for your help CRX

The copper has a solid 7mm in the tail and lots of battery space so it was possible with a 10mm switch, also i could adjust the length of the triple heatsink to incorporate it all in.

I modded my Foursevens Atom with a momentary on switch, might give you some ideas. Not completely waterproof but for this light to get wet i would have to be swimming as it’s always in my pocket :slight_smile:

I just epoxied in a magnet instead. Hope its strong enough to hold the SS

Ah, the easy way out… :laughing:

LOL, Yeah, for now. I am okay with twisty lights. I’ve had the Maratac AA.

And my FAVORITE Zebralight of all time was a twisty!!!

I’ve gone off twisties for the time being, still have a couple but mostly converted all mine to clickies.

Nice mod chadvone. That CRX has quite a bit of answering to do around here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks DNF, Took this out for dog walk tonight. I am really liking it. Magnet holds well for the weight.

Got bored tonight, so I dedomed the LED. Warmed up the tint and added a little throw.
I was able to drop down a level and still see better.

I know this thread is old but I just got a rev 3 maratac 123 and hate the tint of this light. Do you have any tips on removing the pill?

It unscrews. Small needle nose in slots or cross up some screw drivers. I dont remember if I used heat. Ok I think I did.