Match's Mods: 15min mini mag mod

Hi and welcome Mnr3. Go for it I say.

Still a great mod to do. A light without a clicky switch is a reliable light in my opinion!

Welcome to the forum Mnr3.

As previously stated, you can get everything you need for a single LED Match Mod from MTN, an XP-L HI with a boost driver running off 2 AAs is still a big jump in output from the stock light. And an XP-L HI triple running at 3.0+ amps off a Li-Ion in a cut-down shorty Match Mod will blow your socks off, albeit for a very short time. Again most of the parts can be found at MTN.

I think what I like about this mod is everyone is familiar with the mini-Mag, or at least they think they are. Hand them a triple shorty and the first thing they think is it’s cute. Then they turn the head the wrong way to try to turn it on. After you tell them to turn it the other way the next thing you hear is WOW!

This mod just never gets old, you’ll understand once you’ve built one.

I figured as much wrt the mod still being current but not familiar enough with the hardware currently available. Been a lurker long enuf, just dont know the terminology well enough yet. That also makes using the search function harder; I did one for mini mag for more recent stuff, but didnt find too much. Will “triple shorty” yield more results? Guess I want to do what every newbie on every forum wants: skip to the answer without wading too much into the nitty gritty (read: learn the basics). Lazy, I know 0:)
Anyway, thanks for the replies. I was just happy to give this thread a bump (without asking for tools!). Cheers

Check out this thread for an idea of what’s possible, or search micro mag. Many of us have made them one way or the other. There are also a few folks that have made MT-G2 mini mags (something I’ve been meaning to do myself, have all the parts sitting in the basement but never seem to get to it).

Anybody know of a site where I can pick up some spare time?

You can also peruse theBLF Modding Links Thread I post most of my mods there and many of the classics are listed there as well. It’s stickied in the DIY modding and parts sub forum.

Wow, those are cool. I’ve read enuf now to answer my own question above (in case anyone like me stumbles upon it without seeing the very obvious Sticky of past mods ). I’m gettin a little nervous already about a possible addiction!

I will be doing a lot of research on this. I want to do this with one of the minimags. I think I’ll go single first time and then go for a triple.

Old lumens did a ton of these so you might search his threads for some easy mods. Triples require boring to fit the 20 mm mcpcb.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve got some reading to do. I’ve seenacouple that are just not practical for me. I guess on the first one I just want it to function.

My first chopped AA MiniMag I bored to fit the 20mm pill and optics by using the human lathe method. I used a drill and a rotary tool. It’s a bit painstaking, but perfectly doable and the rewards show immediately when first light is made. These little lights feel so neat in hand, give such surprising output, they can very well be addictive. I’ve even done a micro mag, chopped one even further and used a 14250 cell. It’s ridiculous! :slight_smile: It’s so small I couldn’t operate it as a twisty so I fitted a small omten clicky into the tailcap and that works just fine. lol

The little Purple 14250 Micro Mag, with tail clicky, beside a Sinner Cypreus, Normal chopped AA MiniMag, and Solarforce L2M. (Ok, so the red MiniMag isn’t exactly normal. TexasLumens did that one and cut the Texas onto it. The purple battery tube that was cut off is also now a spare cell carrier with a very very cool Texas shaped aluminum top cap.)

NanoMag. :beer:

And most step-bit sets come with one bit whose largest size is a perfect 20mm!

And give you a nice flat ledge!

A look at the clicky switch in the carved out tail cap, beside the spare battery tube with Texas cap…

Very cool! I love the little Tx cap on the spare cell holder. I lived there myself for a number of years. Had to come back to KS when My daughter was born, Grandma and Grandpa insisted.

Where can I find a drop in pill, or all the parts you used to build yours? I’m in Canada, so they need to ship here. Also can you walk me through assembling everything. How deep did you drill the body? Can aluminum be used for the pill ( I think I’m using the term right, the brass puck thing in your pictures). If so, what are the dimensions of the “puck”?

Sorry for all the questions, Ryan

Oh, he dead. He ain’t gonna answer.

Try this for a starter…

https://www.fasttech.com/category/1605/diy-kits-parts-drop-in-module

No magic formula as far as depth, in case some dimensions are a bit “off”. Best to just get a step-bit and drill down a little at a time, fit it to see how much more to go, etc.

They all seem to be for a different flashlight and not a 2 aa maglite. I have a lathe, just need to know what to make, lol

Do you have a P-60 drop in ? I'd start there . If you wanted to improve it or build your own pill having one to start with would seem to make sense . I think an empty drop in back in the day was like 2$. Pretty sure the reflector alone is worth that .

Pick your emitter, mcpcb and driver and some heatsink paste and Voila'.

Match isn't dead his legacy on BLF will live on forever .... Not to mention he's most assuredly lurking under a different screenname .

MAtch made this simple enough for a know nothing noob to be able to do . if you have ever even seen a lathe much less own one ....you can do this .

$3.29 2PCS Empty Aluminum Drop-In Module w/Brass Pill 2-pack - 26.5mm P60 sized / smooth aluminum reflector at FastTech - Free Shipping

Ok.. they are less than $2

Found 45 driver at FastTech - Free Shipping to major countries