Match's Mods: 15min mini mag mod

Ah, I should have added xm-l to that description. Obviously…. :bigsmile:

I was thinking, if we remove the threads on the P60 base using a lime and make it like a regular cylinder, we can reduce the diameter of the hole and also the heat conductivity will be better from the P60 base to the torch body.

I started to remove the threads but it takes a while ! :open_mouth:

I dont think you can make a P60 pill completely cylindrical.. but even if thats possible, you could just use a massive piece of brass or copper and bore the head according to the diameter.

There are a lot of ways to "improve" or change this modding guide. :)

PCC was expirementing with doing that. See here.

Pretty darn spiffy. What’s the cost on parts for this?

That would work, and would most likely help heat transfer. The point of this guide though is "quick and easy". If you really want to step up the game, make a pill out of copper barstock that will perfectly press fit into the head. This is what I do on the 3xXPG's mini mags I make....but it takes a hell of a lot longer than 15min :)

Has anyone tried using the deeper MM LED head and reflector? I’ve lego’d the requisite pieces together and it’s such a close fit…I’m positive it could work with a little more elbow grease and time (I don’t have the latter right now, unfortunately).

-Slim

It worked well…sort of. Take a look at post 89 and 91 in this thread for more info. I’m still keeping my eyes open for another first generation MM LED light to do the same using an XP-G, or better yeat XP-G2!

Newbie time! So I found this site, then started rummaging through it awhile ago, and then found this thread, dug out my old maglite and was inspired…but didn’t have the drill bit. Then later on saw a pink breast cancer maglite at the store and showed my g/f and she said she wanted it, but I didn’t tell her I got it for her later on and decided I would throw an XP-G in it. So did the usual blah blah, went with a Carlco frosted Narrow TIR….because that’s all that was in stock(…which ended up being on backorder but didn’t show at the time of check out), from Illumination Supply, along with the holder, just in case….well, it fits after cutting off the legs. The drop in I used was a Solarforce low voltage 3 mode XP-G, bought two, but unfortunately looks like I broke one of them while doing my testing and such. But that’s a-ok, thats why I bought two in the first place. No beam shots though, not really skilled in that area yet.

The Carclo 20mm Frosted narrow TIR with lens holder. Can see where I cut off the legs so it fit inside the head of the maglite

Showing how deep the lens holder and TIR fit into the drilled out maglite head.

With the front bezel screwed on. Factory O-ring in place, no factory lens.

How far the bezel screws down onto the head. Had to drill the drop in hole deeper to allow for the lens to go in, otherwise it wouldn’t have been able to screw down the bezel, my test version isn’t as deep and has issues, but drilling deeper causes it to have less thread engagement, may cut the non threaded part off the body to give it a little more room.

Let there be LIGHT.

Excellent mod, Max. Nice work on using the carclo holder and good pictures. So, how's the girlfriend liking it?

Her birthday isn’t for another two months. She’ll probably love it on color alone(she loves pinks and purples, got her a purple nitecore and purple Leatherman for mothers day), she doesn’t use flashlights near as much as me…and if i’m around, she really has no need to use one :bigsmile: If/when she uses it it should work fine for her needs. The beam is nicer than a modified reflector in the limited testing I did.

The bezel can not be screwed entirely.

I currently am working on a new mini mag mod using a P60, that requires no drill or damage in the head of the torch, nor in the body.
I am using a very new driver that came out recently delivering 1A on high.
The good thing is that I can change the host easily.

Keep us posted

Great thread :slight_smile: . I just saw this as i was thinking of asking how to mod a Mini Mag.
I have a blue one that’s never been used, but the tail is ceased shut. I’m guessing the batteries leaked inside it. I’ll have to get it open and have a go at modding it.

Cheers
Matt

A kit both lights $21

This is not a 15min mod, but this one doesnt need to destroy the head of the maglite.
With 2xAA nimh freshly charged I currently get 550 lumens (LED lumens) on high mode with the XM-L.

Not sure there is any 2xAA torch that powerful in store

What is your secret, Silicon-san?
Also pics, plz.
[it just occurred to me that you are using a boost driver; which, and how did you mod it to output requisite current?]

Match this looks like a great mod. I had a spare Mini Mag and I’d recently bought my first p60 a Solarforce L2M with SF’s own XM-L U2. So I’ve order and bought 20mm drill bit and a new XM-L T6 to put in my L2M thinking I’ll use the SF one in the Mini Mag as is has a large voltage range (2.7-9.0v) meaning I can run it one or two 14500’s.

clang, just taken the SF p60 apart (never done this before) and the XM-L U2 seems rather a bit larger with a ring round the middle making it just over 22mm wide. :frowning:

Back to the drawing board for another drop I think. Ho hum at least I can still try it out with the XM-L T6, but that’ll get way too hot for the Mini Mag.

Why dont you remove the ring?

Think it would be more hassle than what it’s worth tbh. I’ll just buy another drop in I think. There’s also an O ring on there and it seems to form a shelf for the reflector to sit on should I want to use it in an L2 or some sort.