Medford Praetorian Clone....

Which Decepticon is that?
I bought the budget version with steel handle.
It’s a very impressive folder:

Yeah, it’s great with the bearing pivot. Just looks awesome, people either love it or hate it. I got the all steel version. I took out the black backspacer and replaced it with polycarbonate tubing to more enhance the design. I was really surprised by the size - it is a big knife. Love it.

Did you mod the flipper too? I see jimpings on it and on the blade spine too.

Keen eye you’ve got there, yeah i took a dremmel to it to add the extra lines, looks great and the flipper is much more grippy. Also coloured in the grooves black.

My next mod will be placing a tritium vial into the cut-out in the flipper as a fellow BLF member did.

I’ve got a 1.5 x 6mm in mine as it was all i had to hand but it would look better with a larger vial as Bribo did.

What would be the optimum size trit for decepticon? Or should I say decepticlon :slight_smile:

Nice one :smiley:

I think the ones Bribo installed are about perfect for it, 2mmx9mm he says

Thx CRX.

EDIT: Cant seem to find that size vial for sale anywhere though. Any info on a source? Europe if possible.

While this thread seems to be on the topic of huge budget knives, does anyone have one of these and what do you think of it? It appears to be slightly lighter than the similar Tunnel Rat earlier in this thread. Which is a little strange considering it says the handle is stainless steel while the Rat’s is G10. Maybe it’s actually aluminum?

Pieman,…no personal experience with the Vulcan…although I did look very closely at it a couple of years ago when it first came out. In my opinion, it does not do any justice to the original design. Something about the fit and finish that looks cheaply done to me. I hate the clip. And the cut out area…maybe meant for rope cutting looks too close to a finger choil to me. I have other knives with that cut out for choking up and doing close work….whew that would be an unpleasant mistake to put your index finger in there. ha.

I did see some nice tributes to the great knife maker Direware that looks to deliver a closer custom knife experience at a low price point…imo. The blade shape may not suit all…but you can see there are some nice details included on the design.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Owner-Recommended-DIREWARE-Custom-Camping-Hunting-knives-Micarta-TC4-Titanium-Handle-Stone-Wash-Blade-direware-Flipper/32337514820.html

THanks KaiserSosa, for the helpful info. That would be a rude awakening to mistaken that rope cutter for a finger choil! Those Direwares look nice too. Too many goodies, not enough $$$!

One of the great things about cheap clones is that you can mod them like below without worrying about ruining the knife and loosing a bunch of money. I reshaped the blade edge because I just didn't see the stock profile really fitting my needs. The blade may not look as bad ass now, but it is much more useful (for me at least). It needs a tad more work, but I'll finish the next time I sharpen it.

Got the Brous Reloader Clone. Really nice knife. Every thing is solid. Quite light and well balanced for it's size. Even better with the below mod. Feels great in hand. Even when doing the below blade mod (while assembled), the handle does not slip even if you having oily, wet, or soapy hands. I don't have experience with high quality stainless steel blade, but I think the blade is made out of something better than all my other stainless steel blades. You can feel and hear the difference when sharping it. It is quite abrasion resistant. It has distinct solid knock when it taps a dense Arkansas Whetstone. My diamond sharpening "stones" that go down to 200 grit don't tear up the blade like they do my other stainless steal knives. It feels more like a carbon blade of a Mora or Opinel. The blade can take a very keen edge as CRX has noted earlier.

Even if I'm not right about the blade material being something more special, the knife is a real bargain at $20.

The only compliant I have is that the edge when the knife arrived was in real bad shape. It even had a hump in the inward curved part of the blade. How they look stock (borrowed from 8steve88) post.

A buddy of mine sent me one of these Praetorian clones, a gift for turning him on to the budget Chinese sites… I have to say, if I should ever be starving and come across a wild Buick that I can chase down, I now will have something to skin and gut it with… This is is a hefty knife, I have to say it is VERY high quality for the price.

I also picked up a Harnds Viper and a Ganzo G720 due to getting this knife. I haven’t recieved the Ganzo yet, but the Harnds is amazing for $15, incredible fit and finish for less than an hours worth of wages from a factory job…. I will be getting more of these knives… Thanks for all the information here.

Where did you get the Hardns for 15$. Ive heard good things about this knife for a while and would probably like to get one now.

Can you recommend a good vendor? Thanks.

Where did you get the Hardns for 15$. Ive heard good things about this knife for a while and would probably like to get one now.

Can you recommend a good vendor? Thanks.

Yes, it was Fasttech. The link for the VIPER (non affiliated) and the link for the KNIGHT (same as Viper, but black with serrations) I am very impressed with the VIPER…

I got my Ganzo G720 in from GearBest and they are $17.58 right now, what a knife for the money. The thing is built like a swiss tank… the lock up is great, the action smooth, all for under $20, amazing…

All links are non affiliated.

They are even cheaper today

HARNDS Less than $13!

GANZO Great prices here too… (Both links NON affiliated)

Must be a fathers day sale….

What’s it used for? In the words of youtuber Tactical X-Rays “this is a blade that hacks down doors, breaks the icesheet around your ship on an Arctic expedition, pries open steel barrels on an oil rig, dismantles taliban hideouts and splits wood on the ranch!”
LOL

Haven’t read this whole thread and I know this is old but I think the G10 models are the best way to go. It’s still a very heavy knife with G10 - can’t imagine how heavy it is with both sides steel. I got 2 now of the G10 models and they are sweeeeet for a ~ $20 knife.