Meet the Mamba! Is this an HID Slayer?

I first saw this on HSN and then again in a recent Sportsman’s Guide catalog. It’s got a 9” reflector and a 120W H4 halogen bulb.

Will this out-throw/out-flood a 55W HID or something like the Power-On-Board model ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS’ just bought because of the size of its reflector? Will he buy one to find out? LOL

I mainly posted this because the 17 minute long HSN video is a must watch! (Look below the main photo of the Mamba and you’ll see the video icon). There’s even a shot of a guy in a tent with the Mamba switched full blast to read a book! Hilarious! I guess they sold a bunch.

http://www.hsn.com/products/mamba-code-resq-multifunction-searchlight-with-car-jump/6862138

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/20-million-candlepower-spotlight-jumpstarter-combo.aspx?a=1098116

nottawhackjob

That has the same head that ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS has on his Professionals Favorite 120W halogen light. He has a thread comparing it to his new Power on Board HID light. The PoB out throws it by a little bit.

http://www.mobilepower-us.com/

Ok, so it’s nothing super special other than the head swivels. That’s cool. I also found out that the 12v/8Ah battery is easily slid out and removed by a drawbridge type lid that folds down at the back. You can see these two knobbed screws at the rear top. I like that feature. Most of these big spotlights you have to take apart to get at the battery. Well at least ceiling bounces will be a cinch with that swiveling head!

nottawhackjob

You could convert it to HID and make it super special. That would be neat with a 100W HID ballast running a 50W H4 HID bulb.

He told me that the battery bay is pretty big and that the battery just slides on out the back when you unscrew the two knobs and lower the lid like a drawbridge. The battery apparently has some thick foam pads on the sides, bottom, and back. So it looks like there could be room for a bigger SLA than the 8Ah it comes with. That would be neat. Slide in a 12Ah battery and blaze away with an HID just like you said. With a 9” reflector this thing could be scary! LOL

I hope somebody into these things gets one and messes around with it.

If postage isnt too much ill buy one and HID it. Got a 55w h4 bulb and balast sitting spare i can use so this might be a fun quick prpject

Just checked and itll be 100usd delivered.if i can find one cheaper ill grab one for sure

Those are an awesome light until you compare it to a Power on Board. My guess is the POB light I have beats my halogen 120watt light by roughly 25% in throw. That’s just a guess. But the HID hotspot is just more intense and throws better than a halogen bulb. If the POB had the same exact size reflector it would beat that halogen even more.

Saablaster said the POB he had tested at 530Kcd. I would say that is pretty accurate. But I don’t have a light meter. I’m guessing the Professionals Favorite 120watt halogen to be around maybe 375 to maybe 400kcd. But I don’t know for sure.

Slide in a 12Ah SLA now that would be sick! Or better yet slide in a 12Ah LiPo pack!

Although I have heard that Japan I think it’s Catz makes a High Performance or what is now known as a ‘Hyper Bulb’ halogen that’s filled with more xenon gas than bromine gas which roughly doubles light output but actually draws way less wattage/amps so it also runs a lot cooler. If they make it in an H4 bulb I guess the Mamba could blow away the POB and I would think a whole bunch of other HID’s too.

Who’s crazy enough to do something like this? LOL

nottawhackjob

Guys check out this thread - I think you will find it interesting. One of our members here already modded one of these lights to HID.

Guys check out this thread - I think you will find it interesting. One of our members here already modded one of these lights to HID.

Yeah that’s sick alright! And that was in 2009. Imagine what he could do today!

My "All in one" spotlight, Picture heavy! | Candle Power Flashlight Forum!

nottawhackjob