Might be contoversial. Maybe not.

Context is everything, I make my living pushing controlled narcotics in to people, under 99% of situations that would make me a drug "shooter" but due to the context I administer the drugs I am not a felon, I am a nurse.

The the context the officer is (hopefully) shining the light in someones face is so he or she can ID the situation, sure it is also done to disorient the person for "officer safety" but I can't see calling the context the officer is shining his light, namely doing his or her job which is to investigate bumps in the night, assault. There are a lot of situations where any Jane or Joe walking down the street can shine a light in someones face and not be committing assault.

I can tell he's armed. And shouldn't be his or hers(if you wanna get politically correct about it) business if I am.

Hmmm...Scheven, the officer said calm-down, calm-down? You sure you weren't sporting wood? Wink

He was probably telling the dog to calm down .

Ye he was talking to his dog. About the sporting wood: that could have been the case but I tend to avoid doing that with my male friends, that's why i carry a flashlight to avoid mistakes in the dark

Seriously? assault with a flashlight? i do not think you could class it as assault (at least not in this country) unless of course the light was powerful enough to cause damage to your retina's or it was a 6D Maglite and you got hit with it