Mini-review: Noctigon M44

My observations:

• 1xAAA / 10440 will hang on a keychain unobtrusively
  • 1xAA / 15400 is pants-pocketable¹ to the point that it doesn’t seem to require any real thought nor negotiation
  • 1x18650 with a low overall profile is at about the limit of pants-pocketable¹ - can slide it in there but it’s a tad obtrusive and jostles against the other contents
    ¹ front men’s trousers/jeans pockets; can’t speak to other genres

Don’t have any low-profile 21700 lights. Suspect that the D4K might push my concept of the limits of what I can put into a pants pocket being nominally another 3mm in diameter and 5mm longer.

Like the DM1.12 it could be slipped into a holster, but that’s apt to attract a tad bit of attention from randos when perusing the merchandise at the local megalomart. Unless of course it happens to blend in with the rest of the tool/duty belt.

:rofl:

Even for “a bear”? :wink:

1 Thank

Agreed. Besides low (battery) capacity they usually offer low sustained lumens and candelas.

That’s why I EDC a TS10 as my main light, but an FC13 too as backup light: besides also working as main powerbank, it’s ready to take over in case I need more lumens or more reach, or if something happens to the TS10.

with 16340 being a close second

I confess I never quite saw the point of 16340 batteries. OK, they are a bit shorter, but the ones I can find are usually even lower-capacity than 14500s, and the TS10 is already more than short enough for me.

The Olight S-Mini is the point of 16340 batteries. It’s the only 16340 light I’ve used which seemed worthwhile, and it hasn’t been produced for quite a while, but perhaps someone might build a modern take on it.

1 Thank

I just can’t stop imagining this :joy:

2 Thanks

Interesting, never heard of it (guess I started to follow the flashlight scene more assiduously after it was no longer a thing).

Just checked ZeroAir’s review and it’s indeed impressive: quite a bit shorter and the same girth(!) as the TS10. Now that’s compact!

Thanks for mentioning it.

Let the porting begin..? :smiley:

I’ve just tried mouthing the MF01. It’s possible for a short period pointed downwards but any slight jerk will result in bleeding and/ or lower tooth count and/ or crushed toes.

1 Thank

I’ve just tried mouthing the MF01. It’s possible for a short period pointed downwards but any slight jerk will result in bleeding and/ or lower tooth count and/ or crushed toes.

Ouch. You surely jest (I hope…)
:grimacing:

I very much doubt the Olight S Mini has anything resembling an Anduril-capable MCU, or TK would surely have ported it already…

don't look

https://i.postimg.cc/BQqrC8X1/IMG-20231007-135621-681-1.jpg

1 Thank

bear, you need a headlamp for sure.

1 Thank

Several times a day. There’s a perfectly good DW4 with a Fenix strap in the backpack just metres away almost every time and I’ll still mouth the torch that’s on me.

Ouch, double ouch and triple ouch :flushed:

Well, you warned me not to look :rofl:

That’s something only Freud can explain. Or is a flashlight sometimes just a flashlight? :smile:

For those that might have not understood the reference: Sometimes, a Cigar Is Just a Cigar | by Ryan Fan | Creative Humans | Medium

I’m just lazy I swear :sweat_smile:

1 Thank

:smirk: LOL :joy:

Most likely not, yeah. Also, you’d need to disassemble it to even get a look as afaik none of their lights have flashing pads.

I’d like to driver swap one to anduril one day just to troll Olight fans. Got to make sure I can make it take normal batteries too ofc.

2 Thanks

:joy:

I think they usually use PIC MCUs, same for a lot of flashlight manufacturers actually, the Thrunite, Acebeam, non Anduril Sofirn and Wurkkos I disassembled used PICs. edit : and Zebralight

4 Thanks